Retrokits RK008 - midi recorder/sequencer

Thx very much!

Okey, I’m considering it because I’m pushing the limits of my Bastl MIDI Looper (i.e. controlling much more of my setup than the 3 available outs).

I wonder how the RK008 fares in a more complex setup :thinking:

I think you might need another of their devices for lots of other devices, it has 2 midi IO ports, but not sure which one, but their hub helps expand more.

If you like using a tabletop with lots of things on it and don’t want a huge sequencer/recorder on the table too but just want to capture what you are doing, it might be just the thing.

1 Like

Also - a tiny feature, but it has a little speaker that plays the beat click, which is very smart as you can plug it into any controller/synth combo and just get on with it.

2 Likes

Hm, yes, I think so too.

The thing is I suspect the inherent limitations of the Bastl Looper might be a good thing to force me keeping things simple. I tend to be over the limits with modulations…

I haven’t tried that - just going for the 4 band members experience - some lead keys, some chordy keys, some bass, maybe some beats. Essentially it helps rough talent and easy retakes translate into version 20 that sounds worth keeping :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Well that’s already something!

I mainly use my looper for CC modulation of FX and/or synth parameters. Like a “Human LFO” you might say
(that’s one of my monikers :slight_smile: )

1 Like

I think it records all that - Notes, pitchbend, controllers, program changes … it might even be a handy arranger/songmode for elektron takts!

To me it seems really powerful, whilst also really simple and small (and cute to be fair). I haven’t looked into the Bastl version, must take a look

Looks like they are still updating the firmware - now on v0.48 only a few weeks ago was v0.35

That’s why I’m keeping it in mind.

anyone knows why its so hard to order? high demand? chip shortage? is the production running or on hold?

I suspect it’s just manufactured in batches … seems to be a common practice, e.g. Audiothingies Micromonsta 2

I will be honest I forgot about this thread, sorry got Syntakt fever :hot_face:

But I pretty much concur with everything @mokomo said. It’s a pretty easy elegant midi recording/automation solution.
It’s like really small ( I suggest adding a battery just to give it enough weight to spot it from sliding around on the table when clicking buttons)

it’s layout is pretty intuitive. Once you get rolling it’s pretty quick to navigate the shift/secondary functions.

I do feel like it’s giving me a bit of midi setup midlife crisis, probably due to me trying to over incorporate it.

I pushed right into try to incorporate it in my elektron setup, taking over midi sequencing duties from the digitakt.

Like others here the two things want the rk 008 to add to my setup is

1. Song mode via pc changes being sent to the takt brothers

2. Smooth out the elektron midi sequencing work flow. I can’t stand trying to sequence anything that isn’t a mono voice

I spent the majority of last weekend starting over with my midi setup, trying to understand the best way to route the midi.

It is still very much a work in progress but I think I was able to work out the best way to sync everything up for song mode add on to my setup and record midi from almost anywhere

If I can get it up and running I will try and post some details and more examples of how I am using the rk 008

2 Likes

Does anyone know if the RK008 can import midi files or if Retrokits is planning to add this function in the future?

How’s that going?

I have a vague idea about getting one of these mostly for “song mode” but I haven’t thought through how you would enter program change messages (besides just recording them in real time from model:cycles/ samples)

Turns out they recently added a “MIDI Program Change assistant”. See page 2 of current manual.

1 Like

Song mode is in the “takts” now, isn’t it?

This is true, but that feature of the RK-008 is applicable elsewhere, e.g. model series.

Back in stock!

1 Like

You can import/export midi files from the web interface, I haven’t tried importing a random midi file myself, but I seem to recall them demoing it at one of the trade shows.

Alternatively you could just play a full midi song or subsets of tracks onto one of it’s parts and explode it into parts like they do here:

Hmm, I’m surprised that the explode function works so well. I imagine it would have a much harder time if you record in a song with tracks that had less definable roles?

I believe it just splits out based on midi channel. Generally mid files have each track assigned to different channels.