Roland SE-02

Sweetwater went from listing ‘Pre-Order’ directly to ‘More On The Way’, so either that means they know they sold out their initial allocation before receiving the shipment or hopefully that they got their shipment, determined that and are getting ready to ship the first batch. C’mon! Let’s see some shipping! :grinning:

It’s shipping from Sweetwater!! Will arrive on Monday when I’m away on a business trip for two days! LOL. I’ll have something nice waiting for me when I get home.

1 Like

Just wondering whether it’s been confirmed whether Roland has addressed the oscillator pitch tracking problem skinnerbox revealed in their review?
The issue is really big and hasn’t been confirmed whether it can be fixed via firmware. Maybe it has?
And no it’s not mild analog osc drift, the oscillators are tracking differently to each other up the frequency range, resulting in them not staying in tune with each other over any significant pitch range.
Although skinnerbox raised a few issues, this one is big.
This would need to be confirmed it’s been fixed before even thinking of buying one of these.
Not following the development of this so presume it has been?

I read from Scott Wozniak on the GS forums that there’s an auto-tune function those skinnerbox peeps didn’t know about apparently. He says tracking is dandy.

2 Likes

Sweet

1 Like

It’s shown in the manual:

Automatic Tuning Function (PITCH CALIBRATION)

As you use the SE-02, the pitch might drift due to the passage of time or changes in temperature.
In such cases, you can use the automatic tuning function to correct the pitch.

1. Set the mode select switch to “PATCH.”
  2. Hold down the [TRANSPOSE] button and press the [VALUE] knob.
    The display indicates “Start tuning ?”
  • If you decide to cancel, press the [EXIT] button.
  1. To execute automatic tuning, press the [VALUE] knob.
1 Like

Anyone got one yet? A store near me says they have some. I’m grabbing one on my lunch break

Looks like it receives program changes. I’m curious to see what I can come up with when hooking the SE-02 up to the DT and sending per step program changes. Curious.

Sample that into the MPC Live. Chop it up. Send it out to the Strymon Blue Sky and El Capistan…

Oh boy. Doubt I’ll make a song. But I’ll be stoked to make some noise…

4 Likes

I also have the MPC Live+Digitakt combo and will be adding a SE-02 when they come in Europe. I’m looking forward to hearing how it gets along with the Live and DT, please keep us posted!

Only $800+ on eBay

Here’s a couple of examples of the SE-02. It’s bigger than the A4. Controversial statement for sure. But whoa. It’s pretty sick…

https://soundcloud.com/djadonis206/se02_1

https://soundcloud.com/djadonis206/dtse02

9 Likes

^reminds me of late 90s Umek, back when he used to make techno.
He used an SE-1, so story checks out! :wink:

1 Like

You wont be disappointed

Patchwerks here is Seattle has some

fuck yes. You are making me froth at the mouth for mine

2 Likes

I’m finding the simplest loops so much fun!

https://soundcloud.com/djadonis206/2017-0804-se02-8

2 Likes

A lot has been said about it’s size, is it easy to work with?

The knobs are very usable IMHO. I probably have normal sized hands and fairly capable dexterity.

Honestly, I couldn’t stop playing with it last night. Every function seems to enhance it, in a very musical way.

But it is a very aggressive and powerful synth. All roads led me to some heavy sounds. Like, I’d pick a pad sound if you will. Turning any knob would just make the tone super gnarly and heavy. Which I like. But I’m not yet at the point of calling this synth silky smooth :slight_smile:

I love it though

1 Like

Oh. And I don’t know if this is a bug or what but. When playing the SE from the DT, the SE kept resetting to the first preset (program 1). I think this is because the DT defaults to Bank 1 Program 1.

So I sequenced the SE from the MPC Live. Problem solved

Yea, but trig conditions!

Have you tried changing the PGM parameter on the DT MIDI track to the corresponding SE-02 patch # ?
(And p-locking it on the first step of the sequence to hold it on the patch you want?)

Yes, changing the program number on the DT to the patch you want on the SE works. Only thing is, the SE resets all it’s parameters every time the patch is selected.