Roland TR-6S

just tried out the new FM models. that kick drum absolutely slaps!

shame the step probability doesn’t go as far as Elektron trig conditions, i can’t imagine it would have been hard to implement.

Yes both on latest firmware. I don’t want to be misleading though, so I’ll explain a bit.

PC on 101 can be sent on the control channel via scenes or on a track channel via clips. The control channel method is what I can’t get working (the 6s switches early because the PC from 101s control channel is sent as soon as you press a pad for scene switch, very strange design choice).

PC via clips has the advantage of being able to switch to any pattern on the 6s, unlike via scenes which are hardwired sequentially, similar to Elektron patterns. Since a scene consists of clips, the end result is pretty much the same, switching scenes still triggers the PC in the same way AND unlike the control channel, these PC messages work correctly. It has a limit though, as a track only has 16 clips versus 128 scenes, but it does actually work as expected unlike the scene method, and you can ‘re-use’ tr6s patterns later in your track as the PCs aren’t hardwired.

So to sum up, you can totally do what you described, but you have to set it up on a track channel via clips, then use the scenes to trigger the clips :+1:

1 Like

I appreciate the clarification.

For this song, I’m setting up scene-chaining on the 101 so that I can play the melody on my electric violin. So, no pressing buttons for scene changes.

1 Like

For my first attempt to get MC-707 to send Program Change to the TR-6S, I followed these instructions to configure the TR-6S to receive MIDI:

I then followed these instructions to set up a Track Clip on the MC-707 so send Program Change:

Initial Result:

Then I took another look at the MC-707 Track Settings and realized there are Tx MIDI Out1 and TX MIDI Out2 settings. The MIDI out cable was plugged into Out1, so I set it to On. Then the Pattern magically changed with the clip.

Does this thing has velocity or not? I might buy one to complement my 404mk2 and the M:C to get the classic Roland drum sounds.

TR-6s does have velocity (velocity is recognized, and can be set/edited via Motion/Velocity Input Screen) – but does not have velocity-sensitive pads.

2 Likes

Working with the MC-707 got me more and more comfortable with the TR-REC style of drum sequencing.

Get the beats in, then go back and tweak velocity values. Seem like that would not be a fast workflow, but surprisingly, it is.

I almost missed an email I got from Roland saying that I get 6 months of free Roland Cloud Pro membership.

I tried activating it and got a successful message. I don’t really see anything though that is supposed to come for free with the Pro membership. I’ll give it a try again tomorrow.

it only gives you very limited access though, barely any of the Cloud instruments at all, so don’t get too excited. I discovered the same when I set it up

When I bought my MC-101, it came with free Roland Cloud Pro membership - for one year. I was able to download all the ZenCore sound packs for free, as well as the instruments listed under the Legendary tab in Roland Cloud Manager. I tried downloading Jupiter 4 as a test. Did not appear as a plugin in Live 11.

With the TR-6S, the Install buttons are enabled for the Legendary and drum machine instruments. As you observed, I don’t see anything else that I can get with my latest Pro membership, other than Zenology Pro and maybe the sample packs for TR-8S/6S.

Yeah, nothing particularly exciting for me at this point.

When I asked what I could access with this Roland Cloud Pro, as I was finding it quite restricting, Roland responded:

“Bear in mind that you have a Pro membership, which gives you access to four plug-ins: Zenology, Concerto, and two Legendary series plug-ins of your choosing, via the Pro Access switch in the Cloud Manager Library. Any other plug-in will stay in demo mode.”

Perhaps they have restricted it even more recently for users with this offer.

Ah thanks for the tip about the Pro Access switches in Roland Cloud Manager.

9 Likes

Here’s our very honest take on the Roland TR-6S after over one year of extensive use - including all the new 1.50 features. We had a lot of fun making it and we hope you enjoy it :slight_smile:

15 Likes

Your videos are brilliant!

1 Like

Thank you so much :slight_smile:

I guess there is no way to record rolls into the sequencer.

Rolls appear to be only for playing live, without changing the pattern.

I’ll try using the MC-707/101 to play the rolls instead.

I was just working on the TR-6S, fired up the editor app, and was suddenly taken to the update page at Roland UK

[ Ver.1.51 ] OCT 2022

Bug Fix
The following bug was fixed.

• It may freeze on certain operations.
4 Likes

Oh, same for TR8s too.

After I love my MC-101 more and more (and we’ve been together for such a long time), I’m thinking about a TR-6S as an add-on. From this I expect even better drum sounds and a free track on the MC-101. The TR-8S is not an option, I like such small boxes with battery compartment.

Something that worries me is that the TR-6S has “only” 6 tracks. After reading the manual, I know that there are variations of individual (few) sounds that you can switch within a track. There seems to be no “sound lock” on the TR-6S, is there?

That the TR-6S is not class-compliant, I also find very unfortunate. I often use the MC-101 together with my iPad.