Roland TR-6S

Up to firmware 2.02 pattern changes (almost) worked using PC messages. In the old firmware, there will still be an audible glitch, because sound and FX trails are cut off when the kit changes with the pattern. But if your workflow allows you to turn off automatic kit changes, it’s almost ok. At least the timing doesn’t break. Roland changed the PC behaviour in 2.03 and it’s been broken ever since.

Theres a setting somewhere that allows the fill to auto trigger, for example at the end of every 16 bars.

Thank you so much! I tried it, didn’t help(

1 Like

Pattern change is sent from OT, recieved on DN and TR8-S .

1 Like

My first impressions with the tr6s:

Sound is awesome. IMO samples of the classics don’t do the same thing. I’m mainly talking about when dialing in tune and other parameters.

The menu diving could be better, but it works.

For me, this is a machine for groove fundamentals. I think other machines with more flexible sequencers really add to it. I’m pairing it with my rytm. Tr6s for the raw stuff, rytm to add spice

8 Likes

May i as what powerbank model this is? i have another one from this brand which“should“ work with MC and TR as well but as soon as i switch on the second device, the first one shuts down automatically

Looks like this one:

1 Like

thanks, figured it out already :+1:

he finally set his sights on this terrible, awful, just plain bad piece of gear

1 Like

./sarcasm? o.0

Never paid much attention to his video work before, but I like the visuals in his trance finale.

The TR-6S is not the best choice for a standalone workstation that plays all the parts - bass, chords, etc. in addition to the drums, but tip of the hat for the work he (or I guess his team) put into getting all those sounds out of if. He doesn’t give up his secrets here - eg. how to work around lack of chromatic mode - but there are other videos that show how to do that stuff.

1 Like

One of the background images is an encoder value to note table.

I usually pause frequently to get as many jokes and useful tips as possible. Never have needed 2x mode with Florian. :rofl:

4 Likes

Code Unknown also promised to upload a tutorial video on this topic in one of the responses to a comment.

I’m guessing there’s a TR-8S video that explains the same stuff out there.

It’s not

2 Likes

Not mine, Yann Cook

1 Like

Has anyone come up with a good workflow for creating melodic sounds on the TR-6S?

It’s only early days for me and this device so any tips would be greatly appreciated.

It’s not intuitive on the tr6s imo. That’s why I use other stuff for transposable sounds

Copied from a link further up in the thread:

C2 (128), C#2 (117), (D2 (107), Eb2 (96), E2 (85), F2 (74), F#2 (64), G2 (53), Ab2 (42), A2 (32), Bb2 (21), B2 (10), C3 (0), C#3 (11), D3 (21), Eb3 (32), E3 (43), F3 (54), F#3 (64), G3 (74), Ab3 (85), A3 (96), Bb3 (106), B3 (117), C4 (127)

That is not a workflow, but I think that’s about as good as it gets. You can toss in a few notes, but it’s a pain to do more than that.

2 Likes

Doesn’t make much sense to me:

• C2 = 128, C3 = 0, C4 = 127
    • should C2 be -128?
  • A2 = 32, Eb3 = 32
    • wat?

On the 8s, I just use a track per chromatic note, so maybe I’m missing something important here. Clearly that won’t work for the 6s.

1 Like

Yes, I think all the numbers from C2 to C3 should be negative. I haven’t actually tried this myself.

1 Like

Just rediscovered Yan’s vid. Good stuff!