Roland TR-8S - (New TR-8 with user samples and individual outs)

I would have thought so (I don’t own a SP404) but have used the TR8S as master of other gear plenty of times.

I assume you’ll need one of those 5 pin to TRS adaptors for the SP (I don’t think it has 5 pin midi), you may also have to set it to receive clock and start/stop if that is not the default.

Should be fairly straightforward though with the midi taken from the out of the TR8S into the midi in on the SP-then hit the start on the TR8S and you should be good

1 Like

@BLKrbbt If you don’t have TRS adaptor, you can try using the trigger out from the TR8s into SP404 (I don’t have a 404 myself) - to use the trigger out you’ll need a 3.5mm -> 3.5mm standard jack to jack cable. Also ensure you are sending trigger out on the pattern steps of TR8s, press CC & RC at the same time to access trigger steps sequence, I think they are enabled by default on most, if not all patterns.

1 Like

Thank you all for the reply.

I got this info from @198, in case it helps here…

And because of the J-6, I DO have the boss trs to 5 pin din!

I reported the pattern change bug to Roland Support and they asked me for the 2.0 firmware. In response they said:

This will be helpful as it takes an act of the president and congress to get older firmwares, even for product support.

:laughing:

7 Likes

It would be ace if they do fix the pattern change sync. I never updated from V2 and it would be nice to try out the new FM synth stuff and effects, but yeah, sync is more important.

3 Likes

How do people love their TR-8S? Just curious… :wink:

4 Likes

The sp404 took me down a sampling rabbit hole, but soon it’s going to be coming back to the forefront of my production.

I will always be indebted to the TR8S. She is my first drum machine. I learned how to sequence TR Rec style on her.

I learned all my beatmaking on her.

So in a sense there would be no me without her.

3 Likes

Thanks. I’m curious about the two aspects: sounds (which as I understand is great) and sequencer “feel”. I know some AR esensitive to the feel of the swing on the original 909. I’d say I’m interested in knowing if the TR-08S is making its players feel there is some magic there, something special.

1 Like

The magic is in its ACB emulation. It creates a sonic variability that is still being sought after here. Some are trying to round robin thier way into it.

If you like roland sounds, then this box is definitely for you.

Some caveats though. Read through the thread here to learn it’s shortcomings.

Mostly, no microtiming, and something about effect tails not lasting.

I’m not sure, I own way too much gear to remember what things do or don’t do.

6 Likes

not the tr8s, but i bought the tr6s to supplement my setup with classic roland drum sounds (mainly 909), i only use like 10% of its capability but i love the way it sounds and its easy to fit in and mesh with other machines.

3 Likes

I agree. The TR6s and 8s are identical with the exception that the 8s is so much easier to work with.

More tracks and less submenus.

I also should mention, it’s very steppy. Meaning it locks itself to its steps, and it’s transitions are abrupt.

If you want some research, check out this video.

I actually think he’s an Elektronaut.

@jcd

3 Likes

I love my TR8s with hands , fingers and ears. IMHO it’s the most complete balanced drum machine, from just a simple classic beat of a 1000 sounds over the years to a hands on tweaker , it’s just so immediate and sounds great. It’s not a synth or experimental though, just good at drums. I don’t really feel the need for micro timing with Tr8s, although on the Digitakt microtiming feels natural and at home , not sure why.

9 Likes

i love mine so much. after all the devices i have with lots of menus and programming this thing is very fast to get a groove going. big love for the tr8s. i didn’t know i would love it so much actually. good for putting next to the eurorack and having an easy way for main drums while working on the modular.

5 Likes

TR8S has been the one constant in a system that has constantly changed for the past 2 years. I’ve tried 50 different things and nothing has stayed on the desk aside from this box-it’s the only thing I have I wouldn’t sell. I love it. Nothing else I have tried sounds as good, even when I sample these sounds into something else.

The magic is the variable hit thing and to me it really is magic. It’s subtle so you don’t notice it, but it’s really there. Love the faders, love the hands on control. It’s just the perfect drum Maschine for me…

7 Likes

Easily the best drum machine Ive ever owned. Ive said it many times in this thread, and all over other places on this forum. Its fast, sounds amazing with no need for further trickery, fun to use, well laid out, has all the connections you’ll ever need, has performance features that require either minimal or zero set up. Sounds amazing. Sample engine is DEEP once you dive in fx are top, the compressor slams, the distortions are good. Faders rule. Sounds amazing. The ACB sounds rule, the FM sounds rule, samples sound really nice on it. It makes you realise you never needed probability or microtiming in the first place.

19 Likes

hey ! Now it has probability too :+1:

4 Likes

I’ll just follow Microtribe here with a minor distinction: It’s easily the best performance drum machine I ever had.

2 Likes

This all sounds fantastic. That’s what I’m looking for, immediate, good sounding and performance-oriented. Yay!

As an aside, I believe most instrument designers hearing that Elektron sequencers are cool are misled. While probabilities are fun, sometimes, I find it’s conditional trigs that are really amazing, allowing to do rich long patterns with less steps. Or maybe that’s just me.

Sorry for the off topic. I’ll be back after some experience with the TR-8S as it seems.

Thanks again all, I like to gauge the love for an instrument, and here there’s a lot!

They are both amazing and a bit different.

I would be mindful of making comparisons when both have so much functionality.

Another thing is don’t start looking at something for what it’s not. Or finding things it can do better. They are amazing and very specific machines that are designed a specific way for whatever reason.

Just look at the sp404 thread right now. It’s filled with armchair engineers looking for any and all faults.

Meanwhile, pair it up to the TR8s, and it makes perfect sense.

3 Likes

Thanks for the safeguard and indeed I’m not looking for fault.

I was making a general statement that many devices add probability that while cool, I find are weak in comparison to conditional trigs. I reckon this comment is completely off topic.

I’ll be happy to work with the 8S as it comes. I do have a 404 and live it as it is :blush:

1 Like