Rules on sampling other artists songs?

I was listening to some Billy Woods the other day and one of the lines went:
“Fuck a sample, I don’t gotta pay, when I take yo shit, it’s the American way”.

Gotta say it made me smile, although, coming from the mouth of a black man, the last part of the phrase definitely hits different when considering history. Then I stopped smiling.

5 Likes

…a copy of a copy of a copy…

finding inspiration elsewhere is good thing…
but if it’s not leading u to something new and original of it’s own, ur own…
it’s simply nothing worth to add for real…

but hey…pop will eat itself, anyways…always was…meanwhile all art has to reinvent itself…
constantly…so embrace change…avoid all gridlock…
aaaaand of course, never trust the hype… :wink:

1 Like

Sampling is 100% the artform of the 20th century, and one whose relevance and development persists into the 21st. You can use sampling unimaginatively, just as you can a guitar or an orchestra. Sampling yourself is certainly a valid use of the technology, but it ignores a vital element of the technique - the concrete engagement with that which already exists.

Interesting to reflect on Brion Gysin’s comments in Cut-Ups Self Explained, applied to similar principles in literature and art (both far more accessible and democratic in this regard than music for a long time, though of course tape music and musique concrète both existed).

4 Likes

Sampling can be lazy, but so can playing the same old guitar chords in the same old scales. Either thing can also be limitlessly creative.

1 Like

these days the only instances i can think of where people pull whole sections from songs and slap some new drums on them for a rap beat are songs where thats kind of the point. like a “thousand miles” beat or like a spongebob theme song beat. fun songs for fun, nobody doing that thinks theyre reinventing the wheel (i would hope). i guess theres also lofi hiphop which does have a large portion of music made by ripping whole phrases of music from other people and lazily putting drums on there, but in the sampling game thats a small piece of the pie.

Sample what the fuck you like as long as you do something that totally makes it your own.

Think about it more when you might make some money from it - no one cares until they realise you have some money they want.

Might be controversial - i do not apologize for these views.

Also - microsampling is an essential for me… Yes please, I’ll have some highly expensively mixed and mastered 808s / 909s for example, over an average sample pack.

4 Likes

The Stones paid them the royalties from it at the end of the day though didn’t they?

Yeah duh :roll_eyes:

I am highly curious where you all think this song I made lands on the lazy/creative spectrum of sampling. :smiley:

I love sampling. It’s an endless world that sparks my creativity. I love it when I hear the source sample an artist used in its natural state for the first time. It’s like getting to know the artist better. You get to hear some music they liked listening to.

My favorite sample masters are the avalanches :slight_smile: some of my favorite albums ever

2 Likes

I play house and techno for general audiences and they love lazy remixes. I like to go deeper in the crate but I play what the vibe of the party wants with my own taste sprinkled in…unless they want all sprinkles lol.

At least where I am there is plenty of need for simple remixes. I buy them. I make them. I play them.

Anyone is free to hate on it (not directing this at you) but we are all having fun while others are worrying about silly shxt.

I don’t go to parties to think deeply about about sampling techniques ;p

I apologize in advance if I am misunderstanding your post < edit

2 Likes

I love how new fringe genres like plunderphonics and vaporwave just spit in the face of this, true punk rock aesthetics and a radical evolution of crate digging imo

3 Likes

yup, im totally on board with what youre saying. probably the hardest ive seen an audience go for one of my sets was when i played a fairly lazy “call me maybe” hyperpop remix, people love recognizable songs with a little twist.

1 Like

When i dj i play loads of covers, remixes and edits. lets me play tunes that im sick of playing the original and the crowd recognises it but has a different vibe than the original and fits in my set better.

3 Likes

Sampling rules and is one of the best things to come from music technology. Along with distortion pedals and digital reverb.

Don’t ever let anyone tell you what the “rules” are for your creative self expression.

If someone is eager to tell you their opinion, it’s probably because they have an agenda of their own that they strongly feel they must share with the world. This is their problem, not yours.

Didn’t you just contradict yourself though? :slight_smile:
Just kidding.

Hehe, absolutely. But my agenda is better than theirs. :innocent:

1 Like

I see :slight_smile:

I’m serious though. Don’t listen to me. Listen to the silent voice inside yourself.

Then, when you have cultivated it you’ll find that it totally agrees with me.

I’m trolling myself now. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

I listen to no one, not even myself. :rofl: