Rytm and its sound

Is it possible to fit like 19 steps into the space of 16 on the mki? In the mkii i suppose it is if you resample the 19 steps, then do the math and convert it into 16… But on the mki?

The trick I described above works on my MkI. The encoders send out CC. I think on CC# 16-23

Correction: appears to be CC# 70-77

2 Likes

Damn! Thank you sensei! Will try later!

1 Like

As I say, MIDI feedback is much more fun on a machine that sends CC from the sequencer tracks. The Rytm can’t do that. But yeah, you can do some funny shit with it nonetheless

1 Like

I use the noise for hats already. Do you have examples for woody percs?

It took the most work out of all of my Elektron machines to really click with (yes even my Octatrack). Once you know it really well you can get great sounds out of it very quickly.

Now that I know it so we’ll it’s my favorite and most used Elektron machine ever.

My advice is to really learn the analog machines in and out. Understand that you have a great filter and analog overdrive to help. You can get good sounds from all of the analog engines.

Get to the stage where you’ve mastered the analog engines, filter, overdrive combo. Then start to augment and/or use samples and you’ll see how massive this drum machine is.

All of that said, it’s the core of my drums. Though I still layer percussion loops, shakers, or stereo samples outside of the AR.

I love my AR! I have spare OLED displays for it in my cupboard so it will never die :joy:

10 Likes

You said ‘The encoders send out CC’. Will that say that you can use that to control synth parameters in Ableton? (via Midi-learn)

2 Likes

I just checked it with VCV Rack. The encoders send out CC# 70-77. You could absolutely use this to control software. Encoders need to be set to send external, in the MIDI setup menu of the Rytm

3 Likes

Thanks for checking this! Useful information for me.

1 Like

The pads also send out MIDI, including velocity and aftertouch. You could use that in Ableton too.

1 Like

Also on the MK1?

1 Like

Yes, tested on my MkI.

1 Like

This is also true for me. It took me years to master the rytm, but now I love it. I was never into techno, but the Rytm made me want to produce this music.

I like the fact that you can produce really massive kicks and bass sounds with this machine. However, I find that there is not much room left for other frequencies. That’s why I prefer to use it alone and produce all sounds on this machine. Here’s what I’ve learned with the Rytm: mix analogue kicks with samples. Program an odd time signature for the bassline. Use samples for the hats and cymbals.

What bothers me most is that it doesn’t have enough ram for longer samples.

4 Likes

Which Elektron doesn’t? Afair Digis do, Models do, OT, A4/AK and AR do. Don’t quite remember if MD and MM send midi, I’d guess they also do.

Btw…My OT is giving me strange looks, my AK makes little hissy noises, sry, Rytm is becoming my fav Elektron. :joy:

3 Likes

The only “complaints” I’d level against the AR are quite subjective.

1. I often find it hard to get it sitting nicely with other gear - I find it tends to dominate the sound, and also it requires, or at least rewards, a lot of hands-on attention - a motion sequencer lane for performance mode would help here, but there are various solutions for that. Generally I approach it as a solo device or a sample source. Maybe some A4 texture or a bit of OT mangling thrown in.

2. Even with samples, it’s not ideal for reproducing other drum machines - but who really cares about that when you’ve got something as original and broad as the AR? Other drum machines should be trying to reproduce this.

Beyond that, it’s absurdly generous in its abilities, and the performance and scene modes are right up there with my favourite features on any gear. It doesn’t find a place in every outing, but I don’t think I’ll ever want to get rid of it.

Oh, and the MK1 pads, yeah, they’re terrible. Well, terrible for finger drumming, but the resistance actually makes them well-suited to performance mode tweaks, so I suppose it’s a blessing and a curse.

4 Likes

Initialy, i didn’t want to buy one.
But once, a friend came home with AR. i eard it in real (not on Youtube) then i immediatly love its SOUND.

That’s my favorite drum machine for techno.
I have other drum machines, i love them, but the sound of this one i from far my prefered.

I use no samples, never try them, i love the sounds i get from AR and adapt them to my taste.
Surely, there’s lot to do with knobs to find personnal sweat spots, but that the game, no ?

Love MD, but prefer AR for techno
Love A4 for drums duty, but AR is more conceptualised as drum machine.
Love Tr8s, but not really a sound design drum machine, no ?
Would like to have a TanzMaus, but can’t have all…:thinking::pensive:, to be continued
I had a Jomox 999, big nice raw kick, butifull piece of gear, but that were all i liked in it
Had a airbase 99, regret having sold it, stupid guy

So now, i really love the AR sound. If i had more money i would immediatly bouhgt AR2 to being sure that i will always have pleasure to play with that enormous drum machine :kissing_heart:

That is pure personnal statement, that’s only my opinion, but i share it with me, myself and i.
No need to argue, love does’nt need arguments.
The only limit i reach : i won’t tatoo AR on my skin :joy:

5 Likes

:joy::joy::joy::+1:
I should have said that before

2 Likes