Rytm MKII - Large hiss when recording with threshold (FN+Yes, or YES)

No, you would not. @Sleepyhead is spot on - it’s the audio engine normalizing the sample. With no input, it continually adds gain until the sample reaches 0db, resulting in noise which is probably boosted 1000x (definitely not an accurate number), imperceptible at its original level.

Try sampling the quietest thing you can, whatever source turned as low as you can get it to produce sound and from there maybe even turn the gain lower if possible. Perhaps an AR track will do it levels are set to 1. Is the noise in that sample? My guess is the noise is quiet to the point it wouldn’t appear because the sample is being boosted many times less to reach 0db.

You should be able to set the threshold value a little higher to have it trigger by actual sound rather than that noise. It would make sense for the noise to trigger recording at a certain point, though it’s always possible a defective unit could be noisy beyond normal expectations. It seems like the noise is normal though, and it’s not to say AR is noisy (Digitakt does the same thing), I think all electronics can produce a tiny, microscopic level of noise. The sample engine is just boosting to the point it becomes noise you see and hear when there’s nothing with a higher volume to change the peak level.

1 Like

Just recorded a clap with the volume at 1. The noise is in the sample. It is not as loud as when it records by triggering the threshold, but it’s in the sample for sure. I can get the threshold down to 21 before the noise triggers it.

Went and checked my Compressor, Distortion and effects. The comp is off, distortion is off. nothing is activated since I thought for sure that may be the issue. Unplugged all cables going into the machine…the noise is still showing.

So I guess this unit may just have some noise in it. Doesn’t seem to impact me at all unless I am sampling and even then I need to be at the lowest volume possible. In this case, 1.