Sample chains: I've seen the light

Interesting point.
Makes me want to test this on one track and bound couple of tracks, while the rest is handled in a classic way…
Very interesting technique mate, hadn’t thought of chains like this.

+1 Nice tip!

hey @midilifestyle
i still dont get it. my 120 kick chain is not tight =/ just some in the beginning
i did it exactly how you´ve said
40bpm in ableton exactly on every 16th note one kick…
why 40 bpm? why its not tight? where is my mistake?
thanxx for help

Anyone? I’m struggling to get the LFO to randomly play one shot samples from a 120-slice chain. It sounds like the sample start point gets sometimes moved by more or less than an integer. Really weird as I have read here from eg @avantronica that it should only be in integer increments. Does anyone have a working example of this? I have the single shots working fine (shaped using the AMP envelope), can select START manually and via p-lock just fine, but as soon as I try to let the LFO do its thing, the samples get all mangled up…

maybe that’s only in my head, but it’s what i’d expect (if you have a sample chain with less than 120 samples then that’s a different story)

iirc the 7bit range (if controlled externally) wasn’t spread over the range, but the external control was truncated (as I recall it)

I’m curious to hear what the settings (and sample construction) are to trip it up, I might have a look at this

yeah, so there’s obviously an issue wit using an lfo to target start as there’s no way to ensure that end is 1 step further along

I think it’s doable with velocity mod to set up a scheme where the offset is constant, this lets you scan through a 120chain with velocity

as to whether the LFO (at the point of trigging) is able to pick out start points in between the 120 I don’t know, i’d hope not

fwiw : I put in a FR many moons ago for a new single LFO Modulation target to be ‘Sample Start & End’

thanks for getting back. I will post an example, as well as the actual chain and settings I have tried soon - too busy with work and parenting duties today :frowning:

No need, I just tried, on first look I’m quite disappointed it seems to do this as you describe (well spotted) … on the other hand we cherish fine control and I can see the advantage of this ‘more free’ position locating when it comes to a longer single sample perhaps

but for now I think having the ability to snap would have had distinct advantages, perhaps like a new destination which is START(Q)

yeah, this is something which is not quite finessed imho

1 Like

The thing is: when using a chain of single cycle waves I get absolutely insane sounds out of the AR - unbelievable for a drum machine! So, it would be great if it was possible to switch between integer and float from the LFO when sample start is the destination…

5 Likes

Thanks!

Don’t tell everyone that dirty secret! :cb:

1 Like

Wouldn’t it be nice if there was a note mod page, then you could turn off chromatic mode and make each note map to different samples.

However, if you want to lock start and end times for single cycle waveforms, for example, you can use the velocity mod. disable the volume amount and get it to alter start and end time by the same interval. you can then plock the velocity to whatever sample you want to use. Of course you could do that with sample start and end, but at least it’s slightly less fiddly. It also means that you could get some interesting variation by playing the pad. Can you LFO the velocity?

Ye n

care to share chain of single cycle waves? :slight_smile:

The OG Classic pack: https://www.adventurekid.se/akrt/waveforms/adventure-kid-waveforms/

3 Likes

yep, take a dose of this Sample chains: I've seen the light

and add a sprinkle of OctaChainer:

Hope this helps!

4 Likes

Hello :slight_smile:
Interesting topic ,was wondering if there is a way to play slices smoothly,let’s say I p lock start on sample chain and scroll through them with lfo,which setting is the best for nice and clean everchanging sequence ?best regards

Thanks for the tip. Great idea. I am hopeful we will see slicing come to the Rytm in the coming months which will solve a lot of problems but having chains with all my hats, snares, kicks, etc is genius and solves a big lag I’ve had working on the machine, I always go back to my MPC for drums cause I already have programs setup like that but love programming drums on the Rytm so I am going to make chains now for this.

And will check out that Octachainer too

1 Like

So, there is a limitation to this. You cant just have a chain for your hats, one for snares, one for perc, etc loaded into the same project because each chain octachainer makes is about 27mb and the Rytm only lets me load 1. says exceeds memory on the second one. bummer. that would have been pretty cool. so you all just break all your drums over 1 samples chains 120 slots?

1 Like

I made the chains with Ableton Live, I put 120 samples on a drum rack and make a hit for each beat and also add all samples to the same choke group so this way doesn’t overlap samples.

When I did it this way sample file was less heavier than Octachainer, and got one sample per start value, but with Octachainer I need to make 2 increments per sample because always leaved silence between two samples.

Another way to get lighter samples is too pitch +12 semitones the final .wav to get a shorter file and later repitch -12 semitones down on the AR.

3 Likes

I’d be interested in more details.