Sequential Take 5 five voice poly

Hmm… In my opinion the Rev2 and T5 are both excellent. Also, people saying that the Rev2 can only be brassy… I disagree completely. (though I admit, brass does readily fall out of it :stuck_out_tongue: ) I never felt like I couldn’t get other types of sounds out of it. That said, a sine wave is definitely a nice thing to have coming from your VCO. I’d actually be completely torn between the T5 and Rev2 if I was in the market for one or the other right now. I’d give the T5 the edge on raw sound output, because I’m an SSI/SSM fan. I’d give the build, extra keys, etc. of the Rev2 the edge for playability. But I would not say that one is clearly better than the other overall. Just feature by feature I guess. It’s also easier to get some decently squishy resonance out of the Rev2 than a lot of people think. Just takes a little extra care in the programming. It also does those “dusty” and muted sounds quite nicely.

Some interesting Rev2 sounds:

3 Likes

I don’t have a dog in this fight. I’m not trying to sell these things, but I am motivated to help people like me who were desperately trying to weed through all the affordable polysynths for something amazing.

You just have to hear it to understand. I also love the Rev2, but it’s nowhere near as flexible, the fx are much worse, the filter is awful especially compared to the gorgeous t5 filter (but really compared to any filter digital or analogue), the modulation options allow for much more interesting timbral sculpting (fm on Rev2 is useless, on t5 it’s a mind blowing additive sound mangling tool/sweetener that works alongside hard sync for sounds you cannot get anywhere else), even the knobs feel so much better, the envelopes are much more intuitive and controllable (easier to shape either snappy or complex movement) although yes looping function generator style slope envelope is where Rev2 wins here, analogue overdrive, filter drive

I had the desktop version so I don’t care much about the keys and in fact I’d prefer a desktop t5, but they do feel nice to me. But yes, more voices and 3 more of the same boring rev 2 lfo are available. But the prophet 5 has less voices and people still prefer that over the rev2. The peak doesn’t have keys at all but people love that. It could be better. I wish they would have made an 8 voice direct poly version of the pro3, and I know I keep reiterating this but as far as what’s available right now, the take 5 is the best imo

I’ll stop repeating myself. I just honestly want to save people the same trouble I went through

(I’m sure the p12 rules, but that’s a higher category imo. Totally different thing, but yes I’d love one, @circuitghost. I just heard the recent album you made with it and it sounded great)

@djadonis206 no

3 Likes

Same. I am still holding out hope that someday they come through with a new flagship that is in this wheelhouse.

I know they have the Summit, but is quite a big board at 40", and I’m not sure I’d need the dual layers that it offers. I wish they would do a smaller keys version. A Peak the size of the T5 would be great.

2 Likes

It would be cool but only if they include the dual filter routing of the Summit because it’s next level bananas.

2 Likes

I think this hits the nail on the head. Not having access to a sign wave for me really makes it hard to get a particular type of pad out of it.
That’s why I would say it isn’t as versatile a poly as something like the Peak.
I didn’t say “not versatile”, but “not as versatile”.
It still excels at particular sounds, no one can deny that.

1 Like

Sine wave, effects PLUS independent reverb, resonance compensation, drive, Octave tuning selection instead of note based, Osc mixer instead of “blend”, per-voice oscillation, that vintage knob (still not entirely sure what it does, but sounds cool in the demos, just adds subtle chaos randomly? I’m in), and just an overall better layout, especially the mod matrix and envelope assign.

I think the Take 5 ticks so many boxes for me over the Rev2.
I’d do a hard swap if anyone wants a perfect condition Rev2 with Decksaver in the Sydney area, LOL

1 Like

:hearts: :pray:

1 Like

I don’t disagree there. Tools for the job and all that. I just think it’s a touch more versatile than some people give it credit for.

I’m not even arguing against ANYTHING on the Take 5. I think it’s amazing. I also use the SSI chips in my modular modules, so IMO, they did everything right with it. (except as I’ve said, the knobs, and I wish they had a version with more keys, or maybe more voices and keys, or even a module because then you could control it with more keys :smiley: ) Still, it’s an excellent synth. I actually want one. I just haven’t decided on when that will be, because I need to get my Hydra Deluxe and Waldorf M first. Then I can think about things like this. :smiley:

2 Likes

I’m glad you said that about it’s mono sound. I’d agree entirely. I even suggested it in a mono synth suggestion thread recently!

1 Like

Totally. Really though in a mono I prefer a filter (or dual filters, HP & LP!) that can go wilder, and an audio input, so I don’t think it’s as good as a really cool mono for mono duties, but it could sure sub in for plenty of mono patches and sound super good doing it!

1 Like

Oddly getting the Waldorf M totally killed my gas for the T5, despite them being totally different sorts of synths.

1 Like

I’ve had a good couple of hours with this one now, split up into three sessions.

It’s another great one from Sequential. And it’s a perfect entry synth to the Sequential sound. And it’s a perfect pro synth as well, if you just want more Sequential as well. It competes without challenge with the great boards out there. And it does a few things no other recent Sequential does as well, kind of like a Dave Smith greatest hits into one package and then with some neat additions.

It also made me realise, I’m sort of ruined by the Prophet 12. When you’ve learned an instrument to that level, and keep using it, and keep getting stuff out from it that you like, there’s just no point in shopping for other stuff. I mean, any new synth would compete with years of attachment to the one I have now. They basically got no chance.

But I did enjoy the hours I had with the Take 5, all the same.

6 Likes

I’m digging the Take 5.

Pluses for me: LFOs that go into audio range and the modulation routing. Good stuff.

Minuses: the build quality. For $1600 after tax, I’d want something more than bendy plastic. My Roland boutiques are built better than this thing.

But having said that, I appreciate the FX and for whatever reason, I feel like the Take 5 isn’t the cleanest sounding synth. Which I like. Good for techno, IMO

3 Likes

I love those sounds. The one that stuck out to me was the top left of those bottom 6. A bit plucky with a slowish attack on the filter it sounds like. Would love if you can break that patch down sometime.

1 Like

Yeah agree, it has this really gritty sound to it that is amazing. I like keeping the OSC volumes under 12 o clock so I can use the built in drive more too.

This is one of those synths where you can just start with a blank patch and make something cool and unique every time in a few minutes. It’s a blast.

3 Likes

Agree!!!

2 Likes

Anyone else seeing their midi clock way off?

I’m sending midi clock from the Toraiz SP-16 to the Take 5. the Take 5 does not keep time, at all.

In the image below, there’s a kick drum from the SP on top lane and a single note from the Take 5 on the bottom lane. Sync on the Take 5 just set to IN.

Sending clock from the SP to other devices is rock solid.

2 Likes

Well that’s a bummer. Sequential really needs to get a hold of the guy that created midi so he can help fix this.

7 Likes