Sequential Take 5 five voice poly

Is there a benefit using the Step Sequencer?

Because you may dodge this issue by sequencing it with another device.

2 Likes

One of the benefits of using the step sequencer is I can program odd numbers of steps like 3,5,7 etc.

That’s helpful for when I use it with something like the Pioneer SP-16 and the MPC One. Those can’t sequencer odd step numbers. They only sequence even numbers.

Plus, I like step sequencers. I chose the Take 5 for the fact it has a step sequencer.

2 Likes

Sam Ash still has it listed for 1299. I live much closer to guitar center and they had some in stock and agreed to price match it. So if anyone wants one for the old price that’s still an option!

1 Like

How would one decide between the Take 5 and the Rev 2 (8 voice)? They’re both the same price approx. If it were your sole hardware synth, which would you pick?

The take-5 hands down. Effects are miles ahead in terms of quality and usability, the mod matrix and fm are much more musical and deep, the filter is a million times better, the overall vco sound beats the shit out of the Rev2 dco sound (which I actually liked a lot until I heard the take-5), the overall feel is better, the envelopes are better (except no 3rd looping envelope unfortunately), the overdrive is awesome, the morphing waveforms with sine wave make it much more versatile for sound design (along with the fm and all of the dope modulation sources/destinations)

You can’t get much of a wide timbral range from the Rev2 due to the filter and dco sound. The Take-5 is not only better than the Rev2; but in terms of overall rich, warm, expansive sound + flexibility for sound sculpting; it beats any other synth in its price range (and higher)

The only reason I can see getting the Rev2 is if you absolutely need 3 more voices or you want a desktop module. I don’t find the lack of voices to be a problem. You wouldn’t be stacking much more than 5 on the Rev2 anyway

You have to try it to understand how mind blowing it is, even before you dive into the incredible timber shaping options. Play one beside a Rev2, and it will be no question

3 Likes

Thanks for the elaborate answer man!
I’m using the Moog sub37 now as my only synth but I prefer something poly and a bit more versatile in terms of sound.

The demo’s are also pushing me towards the take 5.

I was in your shoes and went Take 5. Really happy with that decision and have not looked back.

I am sure the Rev 2 is great, but for me the smaller footprint of the Take 5 and the tone and filter were just more what I preferred. Plus it has a ton of modulation which is what attracted many people to the Rev2 in the first place. Not really losing much there with the Take 5.

Yeah the modulation I like, just want to get into sound design. also looking at the hydra now. I saw somewhere that the take 5 had just 1 LFO and 1 Global one, but it’s got more modulation?

The Take 5 has a 16 slot mod matrix, with a nice selection of mod sources and destinations.

Here they are from the manual:

1 Like

Yes as shown above. It has a lot of modulation, which makes it really deep and easy to build a basic sound that you can mangle into something new.

That looks good, have seen a bunch of videos and read that it can in fact sound a bit more versatile due to the different filter as well. The rev2 has a brassy sound which I don’t like, but I do like the pad sounds. Main reason I sold of my Moog, it was great but a specific sound so wasnt worth my 1 synth spot…

Now on an investigation quest. Sold of a Bunch of gear this week.

I just received mine yesterday. So far, I really like it. I prefer these SSI2140 filters so much more than the SSI2144 filters I see on a lot of other analog poly synths. I really like the reverb effect and being able to modulate it with all types of things is great. Their reverb algorithms have gotten much better with time; I didn’t like the one on the OB6 that much.

2 Likes

How did you get on? I’ve noticed my is a bit flakey when I’m clocking the step sequencer externally. Only in my case it’s as if the step sequencer runs ‘fast’. Once triggered it seems to be ahead of the drum machine. (RD9). I thought it might be the RD but when I hook that up with the RD8 the timing is rock solid in both directions. I’m sure I had a similar issue with the AS1… you could tell the synth was changing it’s tempo and it was most obvious with the bpm sync delay effect engaged. If I setup so the T5 is master and clocks the RD9 sequencer everything is fine. I’ve not got access to the DAW at the mo so I can’t view waveforms.

I haven’t heard anything from them since Dec 1. Last word was they were checking with their software department. I just sent a reminder email today. You should also contact support with this issue

1 Like

do you think a p12 would be redundant in a setup that already includes the t5? and is the desktop module worth getting or no?

an unrelated general question:
is it possible to do recursive lfo modulation on something like the sawtooth or reverse sawtooth shapes to make them more exponential where they behave sort of like a function generator (maths) or the 3rd looping envelope on the rev2?

1 Like

No, the P12 is most certainly not redundant in a T5 set-up. The Prophet 12 still sounds very unique overall and definitely stands out among the Sequentials. The hours I had with the T5, was more just classic, raw and top notch quality - a better sounding Rev2. Which is great. But nothing close to a Prophet 12 in terms of voice.

On the LFO question, I have no idea - because I don’t get it :slight_smile: but at this point, I guess it’s time to let you all know, if you’re blessed with my looks, you don’t get the brain to match. So you’re gonna have to excuse me there.

2 Likes

Is the idea here that you modulate LFO 1 with LFO 1? So that when LFO 1 rises, it does so more steeply? If so, I think the P12 can do it – and I’ve been meaning to try it out.

1 Like

If the MIDI I/O is as quirky as the Prophet 10’s, then you can’t use MIDI in and USB MIDI in at the same time without experiencing sync and other odd issues. USB MIDI and MIDI out don’t have that problem.

It’s fun to slave my main keyboard controller to the 10 and control the 10 with USB because even on the classic Prophet reissue, all of the front-panel knobs can affect whichever VST or MIDI-chained devices are on the receiving end. That’s useful when you want it and easy to disable when you don’t.

Wish I could troubleshoot the sequencer with you but mine doesn’t have one. Perhaps if I pick up a Pro 3 at some point.

1 Like

Sequential wrote me back - short of admitting there’s a bug, sounds like they plan to fix the issue in a coming update.

Brian Tester, Dec 27, 2021, 7:44 PST:

Hi Adonis-

Good to hear from you. We recently had a meeting with software engineering and they have agreed to tackle this issue. It shouldn’t be too difficult for them to solve, but I can’t say exactly when a bug fix release will be available. We are actively working on it, so it shouldn’t be too long before we have a new OS.

It may appear as a beta release on our forum - otherwise, you can check the Take 5 support page.

Best,
Brian
Sequential LLC

NEW Take 5 Portable Polysynth!

9 Likes