Setting up your workspace

I havent used sketchup in a while. I use Solidworks for work, so i used that for this sketch. And i made very rough sketches of my gear. Just the correct outer dimensions, and added some knobs so i would recognize the different gear. hehe.

1 Like

Iā€™m using the same stand for my Ambika. Lots of space underneath for a Keystep or similar controller to completely tuck away until needed. The hole on the back helps in cable management as well.

https://www.raindesigninc.com/images/mstand_silver_main.jpg

This thread prompted me to think more carefully about my audio routing. Canā€™t afford a bigger or rack mixer just now so Iā€™ve replugged the 1202vlz, and made better use of sampler inputs over a quiet hour this afternoon. Now:

• Everything that needs gain can have it either on a mono mixer channel or sampler input.
  • A smaller setup that I would use for a live set can be used ā€œwithinā€ the whole setup just by routing 2 synths to the mixer alt 3/4 which feeds 2 OT inputs.
  • Everything can be sampled into the OT without unplugging anything - WIN :slight_smile:
  • A little piece of tape has been put over the alt 3/4 with on the OT channel to stop the feedback loop!

I really like how just chatting on this forum gives you ideas for improvements, along with Muff Wiggler itā€™s pretty much the only place on the internet I hang out now.

3 Likes

These are pretty handy for making risers, I usually buy a ā€œradiator shelfā€ or similar and fix them to it, quite stable.

I also use these to tilt smaller machines to a more agreeable angle:

6 Likes

Riser update:

Popped to the hardware store and the non-packaged riser has been packaged up and hosts a slightly different design;

In addition to the above I thought Iā€™d take a snap of these for your perusal :wink:

PS. Probably should start a new thread for risers.

2 Likes

Haha thanks for posting! Found a similar one on Amazon: Amazon.com

1 Like

Japanese hardware stores are way cooler than American ones :confused:

3 Likes

Iā€™m moving to a new place but am considering a desk setup on wheels, with tidy cable management coming back to one power cord. I kinda want it modular so I can swing it in and out of the way as needed. Will report back ~

1 Like

Definitely an unmet need!

Out of interest what is everybodyā€™s preferred angle working with the Elektrons?

I thought it was time to get my Octatrack and Syntakt angled instead of flat. Canā€™t decide on 30 vs 45 degrees. I guess 45 much better for viewing angle (display etc)

I keep mine flat but they are right at the front of the desk.
After a lot of messing about I found some Ikea-like desktop shelves that raise just enough to snug the cables from the OT & Rytm underneath. They were cheap too!

1 Like

Interesting! Could you link to those please?

1 Like

I looked but the eBay listing I bought from is gone!
These look pretty similar (a bit wider) - I didnā€™t attach the top and turned them upside down to place on the desk.

1 Like

this is far too spicy of disagreement for a simple difference in preference of workflow. what if they like doing dub style mixes? what if they prefer to always have visual feedback and physical access to every parameter of every channel? what if they prefer to use the octatrack as a sampler or a sub mixer? what if they want to buss things to get effected as a group? what if they want to send the octatrack outs into the mixer with his synths and then record that? its all just taste, preference, and what is most practical for each of our goals.

I have a Jasper 6 keyboard stand and stands for monitors that keep workspace organized.

1 Like

What if what I wrote is 2 years old and I donā€™t even remember it, let alone care anymore? :joy:

5 Likes

Put all my Elektrons together just now in Fonik stands they look great and easy access to chain them over MIDI and create beats.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve been trying to decide whether to post on the setups thread or create my own thread for assistance with my own setup. I really need to reimagine the layout a bit to improve workflow and, more importantly, declutter things so my brain is more clear. As sexy as I find the look of density, it doesnā€™t jive with my creative brain and I just get sort of overwhelmed.

One of the ways Iā€™m poorly utilizing my space is verticality. To that end, Iā€™ve been thinking on getting a Japsers stand, but Iā€™m struggling to decide which one to get. I donā€™t have any full sized keyboards to put on it, but I do have a Moog Grandmother, an Intellijel 104HP, 7u case and some other machines Iā€™d love to get off of my desk and laid out cleanly to use.

Iā€™d really love to see some pics of Jaspers stands that folks are using. I was looking into a couple of Jasperā€™s solutions, one of which might work. The depth of the equipment stand seems a little too narrow and perhaps not quite deep enough for the Grandmother. If it wasnā€™t, it would be perfect.

Jaspers Equipment Rack 150-6-54S
or
Jaspers Equipment Rack 150-80-6S

If any is using these, Iā€™d love to see how they look loaded up in your spaces.

This looks really cool Thomas. Seems well thought out and ergonomic. If we at some point find a house, I would plan something very similar. Would be interested how the build goes, what you used for it and so on

Thanks! Plans have been postponed for a little while as my girlfriend is studying full time. And we got a puppy this summer. But Iā€™ll keep you posted when I start the build. :slight_smile: the problem with postponing is that half the gear has been swapped out with something new. Haha.

1 Like