Silent Grooveboxes

Drambo is amazing. Worth buying an iPad for. You can also run it on an iPhone if you want to try it first.

12 Likes

Model Samples.
Deluge

2 Likes

I always used OP-Z during my trips. Very discrete… but a little bit too limited as standalone. But one of my favorite groovebox when making the effort to use the midi sequences with external hardware/VSTs

1 Like

A laptop.

Bonus, you can watch movie, read / write things, play games…

1 Like

From what I know,
Digitakt is louder than Polyend Tracker, but pretty close I believe.
Model : Cycles is just silent.

1 Like

I don’t know what circuit videos you seen but buttons aren’t “clicky”, I can’t ear any click noise from mine :wink:

1 Like

The Circuit might appear to be clicky placed on a resonating desk. Operated on the lap it should be more silent than the average notebook.
For me the Elektron Model:Samples was more fun for a longer time compared to the original circuit and the buttons should still be ok on a train.

Groovebox buttons should ideally not surpass notebook keyboard level for public use in silent spaces (which modern trains increasingly are). As long as one learns to not pound their beats all too heavily into the sequencer most modern kit except the Elektron Digi/takt series should be fine.

I’ll join the others in recommending Drambo on iPad. If modular synthesis combined with an elektron sequencer on a touch screen sounds appealing to you, you basically can’t do better than this. It’s a truly amazing app.

1 Like

This might be a distracting downside if you’re trying to make music!

1 Like

An iPad with apps will be the best choice by far do your use case in my opinion.

Light, thin, great battery life, instant on, instant setup and stow away. Huge variety of programs to keep your interest- groovebox, synth, drum, anything you want.

Sp-404? Koala.

Elektron-like parameter locking plus other powerful tools? Drambo.

Want to cook up a modular patch? MiRack.

Want to zone out and stare out the window to relaxing ambient drone-age? Many effects/loopers such as Guass Field looper, SpaceFields, Fluss (sp?) etc…

Grab a filed recording from the platform in the morning - discreetly without some big boxy thing you have to pack up each day.

Manipulate that recording in AUM through some FX loopers on the way in. At lunch do a quick chop up in Koala. On the ride home put those chops into Drambo and sketch out a whole song. Later that night sit comfortably on the couch and finish the song, post it here for us to enjoy - all on the same device.

Edit - I would also say that yes, having the ability to watch a movie could be a distraction, but I see it as a big plus in favor of a tablet. You will not want feel like making music every single day, it’s just not natural.
On those days you will resent having this relatively big box that only does one thing.

You may leave for work really wanting to jam out a beat, by the time you’re seated you may just really want to play some synths and listen to sounds rather than write music.

Or just read a few chapter of a book until inspiration strikes. You can also take notes for work, write down your grocery list, type up an email, etc.

4 Likes

I have used a Nintendo switch running korg gadget for my work commutes with alot of success but that being said I would love to take my digitakt with me on the train but I don’t have a battery to run it.
And yeah don’t worry about other too much, there are a hell of alot worse things you could be doing haha

1 Like

The Model:Cycles is very quiet. The blue encoder is louder than the rubber buttons, and the pressure sensitive pads are only as loud as you press them. Powering it might be the more annoying feature than its “acoustic” volume.

1 Like

Id say buttons on my Blackbox are more audible than buttons on a Digitone. (higher pitch)
Granted you press them less but still. :tongue:

Id say Circuit Tracks or a Tablet. Btw i have no idea where Circuit has clicks. Are function buttons on the new one clicky? I only used the OG one.

Also i tend to agree with people that no groovebox is louder than a train or a plane. Get what you like most. :+1:

1 Like

sp-404, very sensitive pads, sample resample edit, sample by usb c, tr step seq, chromatic sample 32 voice, mute groups, oled screen to edit stuff , great effects with input, class compliant, the form factor in you lap…the list goes on.

3 Likes

I’m surprised the MC101 isn’t getting more traction here, samples, synth, runs on batteries.

7 Likes

Since I am unsure of what OP was asking, how about a Roland T-8, something that doesn’t disturb others and you can groove on a transport/journey to destination.

3 Likes

You guys do travel on the inside of planes and trains right, not the outside?

7 Likes

A iPad tablet should do the tricks.
Nanoloop as said previously is quite good because it’s quite small and it’s a bit like a mini sfx60 in a ds lite.
The Elektron model are quite interesting in this context with a usb battery I have used that successfully.
For polyphonic stuff I guess the MC101 is perfect match, but the form factor of model or mc101 is complicated for business trip.

2 Likes

Yep on the new one the black function buttons have an audiable click when pressed. The white note/drum pads are silent when pressed, but give out a “pop” of sorts if you hit them. For playing keys etc, they’d be completely silent. I agree also that putting Circuit in your lap somewhat deadens these pops. But compared to a laptop for example it could potentially be slightly louder (although this is hugely unscientific.)

2 Likes

If you want to pass the time without making any noise, sleep but don’t snore…

1 Like

I don’t own one but the Smpltrek is pretty small and sounds not too loud in the videos i saw. Might be a bit fiddly with the tiny knobs though.

I used the OP-Z on train rides and while it’s quite capable i didn’t like using it too much. Mainly because of the form factor. OP-Z in the form of the Smpltrek would be nice for me.

1 Like