Silent Grooveboxes

iPad?

1 Like

just pulling your leg, referred to the blackbox :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just gonna quickly chime in even though I don’t want to turn this into a ‘gear I hate’ thread.

I’ve seen a few people recommend the OP-Z and I’ll just straight up be honest and say I hated the thing. I found it cheaply built, I didn’t like the interface, the 4 encoders were annoying and wobbly, I found it took forever to make anything sound good, I found all the sounds to be very “siney” and TBH, even though I lusted after it on the internet before buying, in the end I didn’t even like how it looked.

Lots of people have done some nice things with it, but it just didn’t click with me at all, just IMHO.

1 Like

Thanks! Looks good! The one thing with some of the grooveboxes is that many people see them and understand that it is a groovebox and think this poor guy there tries to make music without beeing a musician (let’s be honest, that is what many people think…). That is one reason why I have my eyes on the blackbox or (initially) on the OP-Z. I think 99% of the people do not understand them when they’ll see me using one of them in the train. I can’t say why but I tend to like that. :flushed:

Thank you for your comment. That is the impression I got over the time I think about this thing.

1 Like

It’s tough plastic. If I dropped a Digitone and a M:C onto a tiled floor, only one would bounce back.

1 Like

Ignore them and choose what is the most fun for you. ( That’s why we all are making music and jamming, right? ) :wink:
Btw ticket checking guy was interested in what I’m doing for like 5 minutes, his job is to check tickets so I think it’s long time for him and we got nice conversation. :grinning:

Edited: and anyway if no one understands what are you using they will just think you are hipster, so don’t care about what others think. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I understand what you are saying, but do you really want to let people’s possible perceptions of your gear drive your use choices? Most people cannot tell one device from another. They will see it makes sound and that you are not just listening passively. They could think a Blackbox or an OP-Z is a gaming device…!

4 Likes

The Blackbox actually is a gaming device…

https://forum.1010music.com/forum/main-forum/23601-your-synth-is-doomed-1010music-announces-gamechanger

:rofl:

Get your point. It’s not a heavy weight argument on my side.

1 Like

Op-z too. Pong it is.

1 Like

I’ll go for the blackbox. Simply because all other devices are too large to put in my briefcase. The only other option is an iPad but I really want to have encoders.

There are a lot of limitations but I have at least 2 hours every workday to work the hell out of it, compared to maybe 30 minutes a week I find the time to work on my other gear at home.

I’ll buy new because I want to support the company when I hope for more updates to come.

5 Likes

not to mention all the other passengers with their own earbuds/headphones/noise isolation

1 Like

Blackbox is surprisingly versatile. it kind of does everything almost perfectly. it’s hard to ask for more in that thing. i am in love with that thing

1 Like

Yeah, it has it’s limitations. And asking for what a small device can do is… it’s just not comparable to modern smartphones.
I think they can implement a few more things. Probability, parameter lock and more modulation would make this thing huge! But i think I’ll get some workarounds with resampling…

Having travelled a lot on the Shinkansen in Japan I can tell you it’s pretty
quiet.

1 Like

i wouldnt call a smartphone an instrument. but as far as music gear goes, the blackbox isnt all that limited

I didn’t. I called it a much more capable device in terms of processing power and software variability. But here WE compare huge development teams of giant companies and millions of app programmers to a small company like 1010music.

It really depends if you have access to a table in the train.

If you don’t, something like koala sampler on your smartphone is not perfect but better, especially if seats have arm rests. With a real groovebox or tablet you definitely want to have access to table. Using them on your laps is doable (I did it with my Model:Sample in intercity buses) but it will give you a very bad posture for your back and neck and lead to pain and/or terrible position when you will grow older.

3 Likes

If a pair of spoons is an instrument, then a phone is an instrument in the right hands.

Get a pair of spoons, Spoon Man away on that quiet, well behaved Japanese train and live la vida loca.

1 Like

define instrument, you have 200 posts. go!

1 Like

Possessing wood or metal handles, makes loud clangy sounds, able to eat soup with it.

Done. One post.