Skinny Puppy Tour

I forgot theres a St. Petersburg Florida. I was really confused for a second.

4 Likes

Ticketmaster being a piece of trash and legitimate costs due to general cost increases of pandemic logistics.

Dude thatā€™s awesome! What did Cevin have to say about drum programming? He is a wizard of that area for industrial drum stuff. Iā€™ve found reverb and delay to taste add a huge dimension to drum programming. Sort of a new revelation to me after all these years of having weak sounding drums.

2 Likes

Iā€™m pretty disappointed theyā€™re not scheduled to play in Chicago! Of all the cities to skip, this seems like an odd choice considering the history of waxtrax etc. Ugh, Iā€™ve heard rumors about a secret appearance at an upcoming festival but wonā€™t spread them until I have more than hearsayā€¦

3 Likes

I mostly asked him about which song he played real drums on. This was a few years before his Patreon so there wasnā€™t a lot of info about it.

Also Iā€™m a huge fan of the Process and I asked if those were Roland V-Drums on ā€œCultā€ (which they indeed are.) Pretty sure itā€™s the kit you see in this vid:

At the time I didnā€™t think of asking about his drum programming like a dummy. But after watching his vid about Too Dark Park and finding out that he played all the parts by hand. I have so many questions! Did he play the entire song all the way through or in sections? Did he quantize 'em? Did he play them on the keys? Also he said which sampler he used, but not really what sources. Too Dark Park has some of the best sounding kits. But now that I go back and listen. Sounds almost like the same snare on the backside of the album. Could totally be wrong. Either way, wish I could get a one on one with him about it.

3 Likes

Blue Serge might be my favourite track by them all time. I fanboyā€™d out when I saw them do it live in Detroit. Iā€™m a mega fan and pretty much love everything up to and including The Process. Last Rights and Too Dark Park are the peak for me.

4 Likes

Hand played on keys, no quantization.

As far as sampling, they would sample Princeā€™s snare, as well as Thomas Dolby, Herbie Hancock, and whatever else sounded good to them.

3 Likes

Wow thatā€™s impressive! Iā€™m really glad that Howard Scarr and Icon of Coil made some amazing industrial electronic drum kits for the Virus as I had a difficult time nailing that drum sound no matter how I tweaked drums or synthesizers on my Elektrons and modulars. Now I finally can program the drums I need.

2 Likes

That makes so much sense. I was listening to tdp the other day and wondering how much of the drums were actually programmed. They feel very live to me. Morpheus Laughing in particular has always stood out in that regard, I remember playing along with it when I first started drumming.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s crazy and awesome. Mad props to that. I mean, itā€™s something you can practice, but, still. That gives me a new respect for the songs.

Iā€™ve always mouse clicked in my drums or played them on a drum pad with sticks, but ever since the big Digitakt update, Iā€™ve been trying to play in the sliced parts by hand and itā€™s fucking hard.

2 Likes

I really hope they will add an europian leg of the tour, especially if it really is a farewell. Saw them last six years ago on the ā€œDown the SocioPath Tourā€ and enjoyed it a lot. They played a lot from The Process (5 tracks), but neither Blue Serge nor Amnesiaā€¦ While I think Too Dark Park is probably their best, The Process was my contact point with this band at the age of 13 and therefore has a special place in my heart (as most first heard records by favorite bands have).

4 Likes

I really should try to go and see SP one more time if they do make it to Europe - theyā€™re such a great live band.

2 Likes