So, is everybody getting out of modular?

Alas, they just replaced it with the same sort of messy complexity one layer up (I know I don’t have to tell you this).

1 Like

I may have to start referring to machine learning engineers as Spaghetti Ranchers.

Joke Explainer

Machine Learning is what we call “AI” when we aren’t high on our own supply (which is rare). The most popular/successful mode of ML is deep neural nets. Deep neural nets are roughly what you would get if you took a Persian rug and replaced every knot with a little bit of calculus. To add a bit more obfuscation and bring it back to things musical, Spaghetti Westerns are cowboy movies produced in Europe. Thus, Spaghetti Ranchers.

Now do you regret opening up this explainer?

2 Likes

I don’t know what people are smoking to be leaving but I got into modular to push the limits of sound and build my own custom synth…getting out of modular would be like getting out of synths, it’s one and the same and was a natural progression for me. Started out in the early 2000s and got into modular at the beginning of the wave around 2011/2012. If people really are exiting it’s probably people who weren’t really into it to begin with maybe they had some kind of preconceived notion of what it was and found out it wasn’t that. I don’t know I really can’t comprehend it myself maybe it’s because it’s so much more accessible than when I started (pre modulargrid, pre being able to order modules from sweetwater or anywhere else other than boutique stores, pre having a plethora of affordable cases to choose from pre YouTube “influencers” in the synth/modular sphere )
I would imagine that all or at least most of the people that were into it back when it was less accessible are still just as much into it now.

I see my modular as an instrument that is a constant work in progress and that I’ll be adding to for the rest of my life.

4 Likes

Oh don’t worry, there’s still plenty of spaghetti code around! Unfortunately I encounter it almost every day :laughing:

2 Likes

3 Likes

So, my friend is having me borrow his modular rig, starting tomorrow…? Like, per his request.

I guess he’s getting out of it (temporarily?) and I’m getting into it (temporarily?).

I’m hoping these circumstances (+NGNY2023) mean I won’t succumb to modular GAS…

“Modular… in 2023, you couldn’t even give it away!” hmm

Agree, because back in the days people used modular because it was modular and not because it might be cool. My first synths were a pair of MS20/MS50, which is a semi-modular/modular combi and this virus has infected me and is still there.

I appreciate the freedom of modular instruments, but to build up a new instrument or setup it takes me quite some planning time and research to decide, what will be the next module or completed setup. I guess that just getting what seems to be cool might too often lead to a nice collection of modules and to much frustration soon, because the whole thing isn’t thought through enough, if that makes any sense … :thinking:

Such a good track!

When my daughter was about 2 it was her favorite song. She would tell me to ‘play acid rain’ all the time lol.

A lot better than baby shark or whatever most parents are listening to. I never understood playing kids special kid songs, since they like regular music just as much.

2 Likes

If some of your synths have Audio In (especially ones before the filter) and you have a flexible MIDI routing via something like a Blokas Midihub you can start getting into modular territory without the Eurorack.

1 Like

Still rocking the mod, but had to step away from any engagement with the “community” aspect of it like meetups or online groups. It felt like hanging out with a bunch of Pokemon card traders flush with way too much cash. Y’all are still cool over here on the 'nauts though.

7 Likes

after some years of absence, I’m thinking of going back with a very small system, don’t know if that is a good idea

1 Like

If you’ve done this before and know exactly what you want, it’s not a terrible idea.

Is that the air traffic path for London Heathrow airport ?

3 Likes

No, I think it’s the path you have to take to make your connection at London Heathrow.

4 Likes

still into it myself and i don’t see that changing

2 Likes