So, is everybody getting out of modular?

Only what the Danes left us 1000 years ago.

So you’re saying Kirsten Stinks?

2 Likes

Kirtsten who?

Kirsten poo

Has clearly left deep inter-generational emotional disorders to this day. Reparations are in order.

2 Likes

Was modular their first dive in to electronic music making? I reckon there’s a lot of that. Sounds like a great time to build a modular system with SH if you have an approximate idea of what you want that (mostly cheaper) fixed architecture machines don’t provide.

2 reasons I’m staying out of modular in 2023.

1. It looks like a money pit.
  2. Gen X’ers will resonate with this…remember when you’d go into Blockbuster in the late 90s or early 2000’s and you’d spend an hour just looking at all the video choices and just walk out w/o getting anything? That’s a metaphor.
15 Likes

I have been in modular since 2014 and see lots of people coming and going. Sales now are just economic downturn plus people unloading after all the pandemic accumulation. @darenager makes lots of good points above. Though even analog modules now get version 2 upgrades.

I’ve had some churn but a bunch of things I bought in my first run in 2014 are still fantastic, including the first case I bought. Some of my preferences have changed but that’s just me learning.

1 Like

It is very expensive if you get deep into it, like anything else in life. Honestly I spent way money before the pandemic on expensive overseas scuba diving vacations and flying small aircraft each year than on modular gear. Plus it lasts and you can always sell off what is not used. I see crazy high prices on vintage synths and wonder why but people buy expensive stuff all the time like fancy cars, restaurants and so forth.

1 Like

I funded my little eurorack system by selling stuff i wasnt using. Pretty much straight swaps.

So it didn’t feel expensive at all. Having said that, I would not have been able to afford it without the spare synth gear to trade in.

1 Like

indeed. that’s a good thing to point out

I got a load of OG mutables nearly for free by trading things and or selling things which have grown or Someone got bored or needed that space etc etc

this is a learning curve and often a good communication when meeting people for a trade, it’s this bliss when everyone’s happy :orangutan:

1 Like

The only thing that almost made me take the plunge was seeing Nik Colk Void’s studio in Future Music and how most of her tracks used the Intellijel ‘SH-101’ module - album sounds great check it if you haven’t heard it…

I will say one thing though…Modular was a much smarter ‘long-tem’ investment than Bitcoin. Unfortunately, I…er…

1 Like

29 Likes

Thank you Andrei, you hit the nail on the head!
Modular is as relevant today as it was 6 years ago… :neutral_face:
And now that you have provided a data set of 1 by way of a very detailed venn diagram we can safely say we also have the science on our side. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Maybe it’s time to cash in on sample packs of “shitty [modular] sounds”?

2 Likes

For me , Eurorack is a mixed bag. I know there are a lot of innovative Eurorack companies making very cool stuff, and a lot of producers doing cool things with it. But for me personally, it was a bit of a rabbit hole that I think I spent way too much time and money on. I started my eurorack system in 2014, and got kind of obsessed with it, and got stuck into this materialistic pattern where I always thought I needed some new module to make some patch I had in my head.
These days, I have been selling off and slimming down my modular a lot. Pretty much the only hardware I use is these days is Elektron boxes, and my virus ( when it isn’t crashing)
But, in software, I use modular a lot. The Grid in Bitwig is my most used synth, and Reaktor has been one of my most used software since around 2005. And, I think software synths in general are becoming more “semi-modular”, because people want that flexibility. To me, something like the Grid, Reaktor Blocks, or VCV rack make a lot of sense to use when you are producing tracks, but actually patching up my modular when I’m working on something usually winds up in spending all night on one sound that kills my creative flow. Modular sound design sessions can be cool. But, it is so expensive and time consuming, and I just really don’t see much need for Eurorack that can’t be done in software modulars. Just my 2 cents.

5 Likes

All jokes aside,
I hear you.
It is a bit like the whole DAW v DAWless thing…
The only thing that is important is what inspires you to create :wink:

4 Likes

people who continue using their modular typically don’t make threads about it.

If you perceive an increase in people getting out, it probably means that there are more people overall doing modular so you’d expect more people to quit as well.

6 Likes

people who continue using their modular typically don’t make threads about it.

I don’t know… I continue to be married to my wife, but complain about her all the time.

6 Likes

exactly.
in my city (Kyiv, Ukraine) most of them eventually got single speed bikes, because Kyiv is hilly AF, and going down without freewheel is no fun at all.
i strongly suspect many of that one-season modular crowd missed presets.

2 Likes

Kirsten Dunst is german, and in german language it means “mist” (or “fog”), which is something beautiful in my book.

Ironically, one of the german words for “rubbish”* is “Mist”, which is pronounced identically to “mist”.

“Mist” can also mean cough poo cough of an animal.

5 Likes

Yeah it’s no fun pedaling really fast down a hill when you should be coasting.
I think you’re right about the single season crowd. Nothing wrong with trying things out and discovering it’s not for you of course. It’s just that all of a sudden everyone decided to try it out at the same time and it’s not suited to most people.

1 Like