So, is everybody getting out of modular?

Does it even song mode, bro?

1 Like

I have no idea.

1 Like

Legit question: do the matrix pads dim and brighten depending on the signal level?

No further questions, your honor.

Nope.

1 Like

Missed opportunity there imo

1 Like

At the risk of sending people down a different and more expensive modular rabbithole:

6 Likes

I can sequence it from the A4, so there’s that…

Serge modular isn’t as pretty with the lights as eurorack. most Elektron boxes can beat it. unless your Serge system is large enough, I guess…

2 Likes

Serge makes up for the lack of a light show in crystal clean lines. :drooling_face:

2 Likes

Why are these discussions always framed around ‘finishing stuff’? It’s so weird to me that the way we think about this wonderful activity of music in our culture is to privilege end goals and content over the activity itself.

Being lost in endless exploration and not finishing anything doesn’t seem like a problem to me. It seems like a healthy way to relate to music and perhaps more importantly a way to find some space oriented away from the demand to constantly strive for productivity, optimization and efficiency.

There’s nothing wrong with having a focus on creating an output and/or making a living on music, but I think it’s wrong to privilege that as somehow being more real, or more serious than other approaches - which is an attitude I often see here and in other communities.

41 Likes

you’re absolutely not wrong. and I highly value modular for that, in fact. it’s also easy to look at it when I’m in need of money and go “well, I can still write music without this…”

5 Likes

Getty images need to take a long hard look at themselves.

1 Like

Best antidote for this is … imagine a complete instrument for one rack … something, which makes sense by it’s own right and could be used stand alone.

IMO modular always bears a certain tendency to have a great collection of modules at the end of the day and asking … well … now, what to do with all this gear :wink:

1 Like

I agree! I hook up my rompler keyboard to the Strega frequently and just get lost in the sounds and textures for hours. None of it ends up on a finished track (yet). There is definitely value in playing an instrument for its own sake; nobody asks a guitarist where their tracks are!

8 Likes

Quote of the day.

9 Likes

For me it’s quite simple: In eurorack/modular format I can route anything everywhere I want, and concepts like audio rate modulation and feedback are quite limited and rare in other formats. Also routing raw data that I get from several sensors and translate to MIDI or CV in my audiovisual works with touchdesigner are way more straightforward and responsive than pure softwarebased setups.

But if I had to start from scratch I would definitely go fully Max/MSP and RNBO route, or maybe Bitwig Grid, Drambo or Daisy DSP as a soft start: Modern MIDI Controllers like the Electra One make a BIG difference in hands-on haptic control, but yet all the knowledge that I could gather by troubleshooting physical modulation paths and experimenting was only possible with eurorack for me.

/edit: I also very much love LPG’s, exponential VCA’s and morphing between CV streams. All these things are really hard to achieve or (at this time) impossible in other realms, especially vactrol based LPG’s which are very dependant on the specific vactrol that is built in and has a unique character to itself.

3 Likes

This is exactly how I would use modular today, glad you got a focused system going successfully!

I on the other hand started my entire musical journey doing modular. I had never used even a daw or synth before. It taught me so much and I wouldn’t trade the experience for anything, but I had no goal or direction at all lol. I just saw a modular setup randomly somewhere online and thought oh that looks fun, here I gooooo!!!

3 Likes

I feel like I am really in the target group for modular. I like patching the couple of semi-modulars I have, and I also like assembling big chains of stuff in Ableton. But so far I haven’t taken the plunge, I think because it seems really overwhelming to choose modules and ensure you have enough space and power for all of them. That really seems like a hobby in itself beyond just making music and I am probably trying to do too much already. But I can definitely see the appeal, so maybe I will try it someday.

In the meantime, you can make some pretty good conversations between birds in a space rainforest with just a Minibrute :upside_down_face:

1 Like

after 2-3 year i just got back into mdlr.

i think there will always be a place for the eurorack format next to regular synths