Social Networking, it's horrible, I'm out

My girlfriend baked me a cake to celebrate the highest achievement in my life so far, the epitome of succes: I reached 300 Instagram followers. I’m a modern day Messiah but with a synthesizer. Better, I’m an Octafluencer. (The cake was great)

11 Likes

That is a pie

11 Likes

I joined IG around four years ago right after starting my latest musical project with the mindset that I was going to be relatively shameless with hashtags/promoting. I’m using the word relatively as it’s nowhere near the desperation of what other’s accounts might look like, but a little out of my comfort zone promotion wise. That said I’ve had an overall positive experience with the platform going into it with that mindset and with limited expectations. I’ve made some connections that have definitely been worthwhile; and by this I mean more so personal connections with others w similar interests not in getting my “brand” out there or any type of corny shit like that. Maybe cliche but I believe it is what you make of it.

2 Likes

Hmmm… we’re gonna have to re-evaluate

2 Likes

Social media is a distortion of reality.
Abandon that shit ASAFP.

2 Likes

Same experience / feelings towards it!

1 Like

jesus great handle. cheers!

1 Like

Unless you really like getting into arguments with your aunt and seeing creepy advertisements for things you were talking about 5 minutes ago, there’s no need for social media. The level of whoredom required to make it serve any benefit for promoting your music is just not worth it. I still use Youtube but that is also gross. I hope the meteor strikes soon and cleanses all the filth from the land.

8 Likes

Haha thanks

The latest instagram update is dreadful, why the hell developers feel the need to totally change how an app works, remove the good features and replace them with features that no one asked for is beyond me.
Also they made it much clunkier to use, and put black background on new post screen #darkmodesucks I hate it.

4 Likes

Yeah half the time I click the heart for notifications and nothing is there.

Who the hell wanted a shopping feature? Are they trying to push that on us? What is reels? Why do I click it and see some random person?

Heres something they should actually change: LET US EDIT THE DESCRIPTION OF OUR IGTV VIDEOS YOU TWATS

3 Likes

Cheer up man, life is short.

2 Likes

I saw your post on there earlier. Made me chuckle. And my guess is the devs are constantly making micro changes (even seemingly unintuitive ones) to see what drives more engagement, keeps people on there longer and creates more revenue :cry:

Edit: I even looked through every setting to see if dark mode could be disabled (it can’t) but by doing so I turned off loads of the pointless notifications and email options, so it kinda backfired from their perspective. If they actually cared about me that is haha

2 Likes

Seems like current corpthink is:
Make an app
Get user base because of features of your app
Improve app slightly
Notice other non related apps, but feel threatened by them
Copy their features
Make your app less intuitive
Remove features that users liked
Replace removed features with features nobody wants or asked for.

Seen it so many times now it must be a check list that is required reading at app school :laughing:

7 Likes

and

Go hand in hand. Once one app starts removing features, the others follow.

I’m in school for UX/UI at the moment, and “following industry trends” is a big thing, for sure.
There’s a ton of contradiction in the curriculum. User friendliness and accessibility are big topics, but so is “staying with the current trends”. Can’t wait to be done with it.

2 Likes

Take it down from the inside @AdamJay :laughing:

I was joking when I made my presumption about “app school” truth is stranger than fiction!

Actually saw something similar a few years back in FPS games, all the games that adopted this kind of “samesies” BS saw backlash from users, to the point that a couple of franchises are basically all but dead now.

1 Like

Has anyone sponsored a post to promote your music? How’d that work out for you?

Taking pictures of my gear and posting public makes me cringe. Taking videos of demos makes me cringe when I could just promote a final Spotify upload.

Everyone acting mysterious makes me cringe. Sorry to use to word over and over but it is what it is. Everyone thinks they are Taylor Swift promoting their albums, and then deleting all posts to seem mysterious while uploading some cryptic emojis.

In the midst of a pandemic everyone is still proving what a great time they are having, and to be honest I have not been in the greatest mood so why would I want to entertain this.

Even when I left for 2 months I was still thinking in tweets. this is still one of my most annoying thoughts.

I’ve come to terms with it as a necessary evil but the amount of time these people spend making videos is just disgusting. 1) fake playing MPC controller 2) selling recycled drum kits 3) Producers are now scamming other producers.

I used to go on for a laugh and now the feed is just garbage toxic.

NOTE: to the people who say they are not weak and it doesn’t affect them; it does not matter how much mental willpower you have. It is about what is going on behind the scenes in your brain. You only have so much real estate in your mind and honestly when I go on there I feel more exhausted after each visit no matter how long or short.

8 Likes

:vampire:

2 Likes

Exactly, it really feels like a weird “I can handle alcohol” brag.
There are some chemical reactions in your brain, and those apps are designed to take advantage of them, it’s not a matter of strength or willpower.

1 Like