Social Networking, it's horrible, I'm out

:rofl::joy::rofl::joy::rofl:

Going to use that one asap

:joy: :+1:t2:

How long of a track can you put on ig? Is there a time limit? Why not put your whole back catalog on ig? Then put a few simple hashtags and forget about it.

Dunno, seemed pointless, gave up.
Every hashtag I type feels like I’m kicking my inner George Carlin in the colon.

It’s not for me.

5 Likes

#laughingmyassoff

1 Like

I think everyone should watch the Social Dilemma on Netflix to get some inside perspective of how social media uses and manipulates their users.

2 Likes

I want to add book “10 Arguments For Deleting Your Social Media Accounts Now” to the suggestion list. Very convincing.

3 Likes

I deleted the Facebook, Instagram and Twitter Apps from my phone during the 2020 BLM protests as I found it so depressing and found it was messing with my mental health.
I have not deleted my accounts as I have not been back on the platforms and I have found I do not miss them at all. I have found I am happier and now basically feel ‘fuck the algorithms’.
I also feel like it is kicking Bill Hicks in the pancreas, to horribly paraphrase Fin25’s very funny post.

3 Likes

Why assume that a person who opposes Zuckerberg (and, by implication, white nationalist billioinaire Peter Thiel, who’s on FB’s board) would be devastated by the remark, “so has your government”? It isn’t a fait accompli that a person who holds such an opinion is in love with their government, let alone with an equally lethal administration. In the case of someone who loathes FB, the opposite is more likely to be true.

Instagram does allow some people to advance their careers and/or make money with music, and skinpop and others have said they can’t fault anyone for doing that, so I’m not sure why you’d assign jingoistic enthusiasm to strangers who have said nothing to indicate they felt that way. The OP complained about some aspects of Instagram; various posters complained about others.

But no one has tried to censure or shame anyone else’s promotion of their music via FB, Instagram or anywhere else. These are the tools we’ve been given; these are the ethical considerations regarding those tools. It’s a question of trying to strike a balance betweeen pragmatism and ethics if that’s important to a given musician.

But as you say, back to the subject of music.

I was a studio musician for decades, but I tired of having to do what producers anticipated audiences would want. At the time, I thought composer Charles Ives had the right idea: keep writing experimental music while working at a desk job instead of creating music for a real or imaginary public. I’ve regretted that decision a few times, but I’ve also been glad I made it.

I’m nearing the finish line of compromise and, if everything goes well, will be able to devote all of my time to composing whatever I like in a matter of years. Over the course of my sojourn in purgatory, I have watched lifelong professionals who were once successful descend into poverty. If you saw what a few of them have done even in the past few years (playing with abnormally famous musicians on major networks, producing incredibly respected jazz musicians, etc.), you’d assume they were perhaps wealthy or at least comfortable. Sadly, it didn’t work out that way. Nearly all have no savings; the ones who work on soundtracks are probably doing the best.

Even for me, relying on music as my sole/primary source of income felt like being one of those critters in a cartoon who sleepwalks far above a construction site: just as the board on which you’re walking ends and a mortal drop follows, another board is lifted into place by a crane and magically appears before you.

It’s an intense kind of freelancing that in my experience works best for the young and fearless. If you’ve got the daring and sense of purpose, then more power to you. If not, pursuing music as an avocation or even as pure expression in your spare time is equally admirable.

I often remember that Bartok was so poor at the time of his death that ASCAP had to pay for his funeral. There’s no one I admire more than he, and he certainly honored his commitment no matter what. He composed and performed to live, but also to survive.

6 Likes

I really wasn’t assuming that at all, not sure where u got that from, as for the rest of your post, too long for me to read, specially since you kick off by making assumptions of your own, I think you’re over thinking it :+1:

I put Instagram on the very last page of my phone, so that I have to be very conscious of accessing that app when I do. This is after leaving the platform for around 6 months.

Like many social media apps, it is engineered to get you to spend more time. It is also littered with ads.

Surprisingly, some of those ads have led to purchases by me. :man_shrugging:
Nothing I ever needed, but a good deal to be had.

Following hashtags can be helpful, if they’re not widely used already. I found out about the Typhon firmware update by following #dreadboxtyphon
I followed #elektron for a while but found myself unfollowing it after a while.

I do wish the gov’t would break FB and IG up. They’ve both morphed into each other, and I’d rather not support Zuck. My personal facebook was deactivated 4 years ago, and fortunately many of my actual friends have Instagram, and I can keep up with them there.

4 Likes

TLDR always suggests to me that the respondent can’t formulate an argument, is resorting to anti-intellectualism or both. But on the subject of assumptions:

No assumption is necessary when you’ve interpreted mere citizenship as someone’s automatic approval of what their government does. You might say that’s not what you meant, but then why disqualify a criticism of FB by saying that the poster’s government does the same thing? That’s neither polite nor fair.

1 Like

You’re obviously fired up and ready to flex your keyboard, all good, you’re probably right about everything. Take it easy

I hope everybody here watched The Social Dilemma to know what we are dealing with and that social networks are not just tools.

2 Likes

I think instagram is better used the way it should be used… pictures or video not in a social media way but in a artist way (like an art book) showing a series of artwork whatever it is…

Like this :

I really like her phography instagram and her work in general, based on creativity, fun, and contrast b&w

But it can work as Many ways assuming there is a whole thing at some point (mood board or something) and then its complimentary to your website…

Audio should be thinked as video … then video should be as great as the audio… if it just random image with no story telling or nothing beautiful or contemplative even abstract art… i think it can failed

You should show few piece of cake of your bakery and count on gluttony (addiction or real like) to make the rest. And you should give a link for the rest … if there.s nothing how at least to reach you easily. (Contact email)

But also, it can only lead to likes. Because it’s just one part of a communication plan… each social network must be use differently and according to its origins… and make the most of it, this way. And also maintain so theres always something happening.

I think most people seem to think that Instagram is best used for showing the world a constant stream of photos of themselves looking in the mirrors of various different bathrooms whilst pouting like a trout on Quaaludes.

7 Likes

Sure the selfie era correspond to what you can do with instagram… it can also serve the mode with models and showcase clothes … it works. And then people who like this way will like mode, models and clothes, shoes… not a problem then …

people come together on their common points

So me and the wife were talking today about maybe trying to find ways of making more than £20 a year from making music.

@Fin25 now im nobody to give advises on that we all struggling with this. Make more money with his/her own music shouldn’t be our task. Why? Because its not a part time job, it require marketing and network… time to make it happen. I own a label, distributed by friends and distribution are their job… there’s a chain of skills. It’s very difficult to be alone to do everything, maybe impossible. We need assistance to climb a mountain otherwise it is very dangerous.

Internet was fabulous on some regards.
Certainly not with « virtual products » versus « physical products »
Its 90% stolen, share whatever and 10% of people buying it. And at first the price of a track was underpriced. People who were on vinyls transition for a lot reasons on digital mixing. As theres only a few left on vinyls. Nowadays its hard to sell 200 copies…
Only fans accept to pay more or donate to help. I dont think it will change now as economically things are setup up this way in the collective minds

At the moment a music genre is not hard to find hard to get - we miss a point : value. With few other important points to consider yes music is devalued now. So there’s quantity over quality, and people not invest anymore except for old repress.

2 Likes

Just watch the latest Netflix doc:

The Social Dilemma…

For all you youngsters out there.
And for those of us that have young children, its a huge warning.

We’ve had a rule in place forever… no phones at the table. Sounds crazy to some… but the younger gen doesnt know what it was like to live without the need to feel liked by… the world!

Edit: just realised @guictr mentioned this above also.

2 Likes

Social media is utter shit.

Don’t use any of it.

I’ll say no more or I’ll probably get banned :joy:

5 Likes