Solid State Logic six compact mixer

Okay, super handy to know, thanks for the comprehensive overview.

I actually feed into a Spire Studio with 2 TS inputs for recording purposes, so it looks like the XLR to TRS cables would be best there.

Edit: Actually, the Spire also has 2 x XLR inputs, so I suppose I could just pick up 2 XLR cables.

Yup, just a normal XLR male to female cable will do it, or XLR to trs

1 Like

Spire looks interesting. Will check that out. I’d considered a bluebox by 1010 as I’m currently using my daw like tape deck. Thinking a bluebox or something may be nicer but can’t make my mind up. Also wondering if my interface might take the audio in from the SiX a little better in quality, but that’s beyond me….

1 Like

Not everyone’s cup of tea, but from a plug in / record / upload perspective, the Spire suits me nicely.

1 Like

Purchased…(gulp)

For a “modest” setup I sure have shelled out over the years.

“It’s all so compact” I say to my wife, “look at all those crazy modular set ups these forum users have, it’s a good job I’m not that indulgent eh?”…oh the things we tell ourselves (and others).

Very happy with my commitment to this one though. Looking forward to it!

7 Likes

Good move. It’s honestly the one bit of gear I’m most happy with and have never once questioned. Hope you enjoy it!

Edit, even if I went fully ITB I’d still keep it and run from my interface into it for final summing and mixing/mastering

4 Likes

There are also ch1/2 insert send/returns and main insert send/returns.

But the fbacks allow to mix in the fx rather than have them 100% wet.

2 Likes

I just got my Six and having noise issues using TS cables into Channels 1 & 2, but dead silent with TRS. Is this normal? Not a huge deal, but kind of a hassle connecting some mono synths that don’t have balanced outs.

Other than that I’m loving this little mixer!

1 Like

DI you select the HI-Z? With Hi-Z on, the channel becomes like a DI for unbalanced 1/4” ins on channels 1&2.

1 Like

I find it to be normal…… as long as the noise is negligible ….and could just be ypur TS cables eh?

I get that whenever my Prophet 5 shows up :sunglasses: that mofo is so bad and knows it, it makes the other gear all twitchy just by being around.

1 Like

See. Shit just eclipsed when the Prophet showed his face.

1 Like

This harkens back the old question:
Should you EQ first, then compress; or compress, then EQ?

The answer is simple:
If you don’t like the tone or quality of the source material, compression will only exacerbate that, so you should EQ first; and, of course, generally speaking, the opposite is also true.

However, this methodology applies the bigger picture as well:
Be it gain-structuring, sound design, tracking, mixing, or mastering; if you’re using the Six to achieve a certain tonal quality in your material, then technically, you’re still in the sound-design phase, and not yet mixing. To that end, you absolutely could, in good conscience, be running material through the Six, and even retracking it, pre master.

You know, as long as you’re not polishing a turd. :wink:

Just my two cents.

Cheers!

4 Likes

I’m thinking the SiX is part of the non-turdiness, in this case :blush: thanks for the advice, very useful, as always.

1 Like

Well, I have every faith that your ears can tell the difference, so I’m not concerned about your judgement, in so far as what you’re sending through the Six. You know what you’re doing. Not everyone has that instinct.

Cheers!

1 Like

I’m having difficulty understanding Bus B routing, does engaging the Bus B switches bypass the G-Compressor? or perhaps this is optional ? thanks

:pray::heart:

sounds like the SiX has become integral to both your writing and mixing process. nothing wrong with that. try to get the source sounding as close to how you’ll want it in the end (even if that’s tweaked knowing that the SiX will shape it a certain way later) before you record it.

or maybe you just need another SiX so you have one to shape things on the way in, and another to shape them on the way out. :see_no_evil:

3 Likes

Or a Six for each output of the blackbox :crazy_face:

1 Like

where’s all the reference tracks people are making with this?

lets hear the power it beholds.

i’ll be forever on the fence with this, just cuz of the price

3 Likes