Solid State Logic .. SSL Big SiX

Yeah…seems like this one would be nice for no input mixer noise music

1 Like

SSL Big Six - Oscillator of the Year Award.

9 Likes

Hehe…
Well… not really funny.

Should be some explanation. It’s ok for Behr, but not SSL.

4 Likes

I better sample this thing. In 30 years people will be talking about the early Big Six noise sound, and how it changed the face of music. :rofl:

7 Likes

I’m also in the market for new analog mixer… thinking to get one this year…
First I thought Big Six will take care of all my needs and address all “hi q” expectations, but now I think more and more that this one would be a better choice

1 Like

Strange. See if you can find a plug-in that shows rms.

Does the numbers change when you connect gear?

1 Like

Here doing similar testing now… seeing similar results. The one that’s the worst for me is Ableton input 13, which is the left side of the B-bus… kinda sucky.

Honestly I didn’t pick this up for the USB functionality at all, I just wanted a good sounding analog mixer. The analog outputs of bus B are not exhibiting the same behavior, so that’s good, but this is still quite a bummer.

edit: I’ll reach out to SSL too, but please let me know if you hear back.

Also, this is with nothing routed to the B-bus, so clearly something is wrong as there would be no ground loops involved.

6 Likes

:grimacing: :dizzy_face: :cold_face: :scream: :sob:

1 Like

Just looked this up:

Y’all have anything plugged in on these channels? I know this is for their interfaces, but could be a similar issue.

2 Likes

I dropped an izotope plug on all of the channels. Most of the channels RMS values were only off by their peak number from 1-3db. There was one that was off quite a bit by its original peak value I had recorded. So the channels are still all over the place in relation to each other.

I plugged in my M:S, with balanced cables, and nothing changed much. A small spike when powered on, then back to near the original values.

1 Like

Thank you for checking and confirming this as well. My worse channels are all over the place, 1, 2, 5, 8, 13, 14, 15. I will definitely keep this thread updated on my discoveries.

1 Like

I haven’t had any cables plugged in at all during my tests, except for a few minutes ago when I plugged in my M:S to see if anything would change then. But thank you for the suggestion.

please keep us posted + please unveil any other issues you will find

2 Likes

Man, you all are making me want to measure this with mine, but now I am nervous with what I am going to see! I did buy this for the convenience of the built in interface…

But I am having other issues with mine and have already contacted SSL, so we will see how that goes first.

1 Like

Dang, what issues are you having?

The power supply is noisy as heck.

2 Likes

I wonder if it is related. I remember a few people saying they had issues with the power supply on the original Six.

Well I shouldn’t have sold my old mixer before this one arrived I guess :open_mouth: . Fingers crossed we can all get this stuff taken care of!

3 Likes

SShell

1 Like

How does it sound? With the noise levels showed here it should sound pretty noisy too.

The manual refers to termination of the inputs when measuring noise.