Solid State Logic .. SSL Big SiX

Perhaps key here: they don’t consider this a premium product nor a premium price point. For a company with a heritage like SSL, this is prosumer Made-in-China stuff for the audio cattle herd.

2 Likes

it is compatible. because I installed it on the latest os (i am on Mac OS Monterey 12.4)
which Mac Model do you use?

Macbook Pro 16" 2021 M1 Max.

okay… maybe that is the only difference we have… I am not on M1. I am on one of the last intel models, MacBook Pro (15 Zoll, 2019). Maybe you also need to take a look after the installation to the MAC OS security settings? like the you install something it asks you to confirm the changes.

I updated to Mac OS 12.4 and run the SSL updater again. This time it looked like it worked: the update process finished and the updater confirmed that the update was successful.

I restarted the desk and the updater to double check if it shows firmware 1.18 now, but now the updater states “Can’t find SSL Big Six”. Do you see the same behaviour after upgrading? Is there a way to see which firmware is currently installed?

1 Like

If it confirms the update was successful, the update was successful. No need to double check.

1 Like

maybe we will find out at the next update :innocent:

1 Like

Contrary to all the experiences of the last few months… I now also have a Bus+ and Fusion now. Do any of you use something similar in the “insert” of the Big Six?

I wonder if there is another way to do the “analog mastering/ put some eq and compression on the premaster” without using the “insert” on Big Six.

How do you know? I’ve seen and used tons of firmware updaters in my life, and I can’t remember a single one that does not show you the current firmware version on start – always. This one can’t even see the hardware anymore after the update. My trust in SSL is getting lower and lower…

1 Like

You can use B BUS send -> hardware -> return in the SUM IP TO MAIN. It offer a kind of “bonus” bus insert.

1 Like

You write: “the updater confirmed that the update was successful”.
Why would you want it to confirm this if not? Anyway, you should find the firmware in the system menu.

I found it here, just click on the apple

3 Likes

my 15/16 usb output always a tiny amount of level on one side. couldn’t really hear what it was, assumed it was MD hiss. after update this has gone. squeaking clean.

1 Like

to the owners of the big six: how you find the build-quality?
The one I just received has superwobbly and lightsitting pot knobs. also the buttons (mute, insert …) sit superloose. Some even came off, after just pulling superslightly. They were easy to put back, but still.
Overall I am very satisfied with sound and routing etc. …
Just asking to get a direction. Should I send it back?
Cheers!

1 Like

I have the feeling that all is even more flimsy than on the SiX. Indeed, it’s low cost production.

2 Likes

Thanks. Yes, it’s 1.18 now.

1 Like

Ya I think the build quality is not great, knobs can sit crooked on pots, buttons can be at an angle, etc. If you send it back the new one will just have the same or worse set of issues. I just learned to live with mine.

1 Like

thanks for weighing in with the build quality. I seriously think to get something different then.
Maybe go with a Presonus Studio 32 or something. I don´t know, it´s kinda hard, since the sound of the Big Six is pretty solid ,-)

I returned mine and picked up a RME UFX+. I know it’s not apples / oranges but I’m rather happy I made the move.
Customer service with SSL was ultimately what drove me to looking for another solution. Radio silence followed by a thin one sentence reply just soured me. The build quality of the SSL was nothing to write home about.

4 Likes

I don’t really care about the build quality, as long as it works. And this thing works pretty well! I traded it in for an apollo 8 and I don’t regret it for a minute. The quality of my productions has improved, more punchy, clearer, separated. And it adds pleasure to mix without the mouse, despite the wobbly nature of the knobs.
I’m a child of digital interfaces (I started to do music with computer in 2006) but I remember buying my second interface in 2012. I was primarly looking for a physical mixer. At the time, the salesman of the shop (you know, those spaces where you can touch hardware and meet real people) looked at me like I was an alien when I told him I was looking for a sound interface with physical knobs. Today, my dream has come true.

4 Likes