Solid State Logic .. SSL Big SiX

On vacation dreaming about your big six huh ;-)?

1 Like

Iā€™ve got the monitors attached to the big Six Monitor out. The thing is, I donā€™t really want the Big Six on all day (music desk is also my work desk). So I want to be able to send audio out of my Mac to my monitors without the big six being powered on and ideally without disconnecting stuff.

Would headphone out of the Mac to one of these work? (And the six going into it as well)

1 Like

Iā€™m trying to install the firmware update (MacOS Monterey 12.5), but for the life of me I canā€™t get it to work. Any of you all had the following error that you somehow resolved?

Ssl BiG SiX firmware updater started
Detected Solid State Logic devices:
Device Product :ā€œBiG SiXā€, Manufacturer :ā€œSolid State Logicā€, vId = 0x31e9 pId = 0x0003 Firmware Version = v01.07

Starting device firmware update
Detaching device from application mode.
Reset into dfu state command sent.
Waiting for device to restart and enter DFU modeā€¦
Device discovered. Attempting to claim interface ā€¦
Error claiming interface 0
Access denied.
Firmware update failed.

I had the same error - I ended up using an old Intel Macbook (was originally trying on my M1 Pro Max)

Yes, I had an error as well. I reached out to SSL, they said sometimes there is an issue with USB C, so use the USB A cable instead. So I did that with an adapter (my laptop is all USB C), and it still didnā€™t work. Then I got out a USB C hub, and used the USB A cable into a USB A connection into that, and then it worked.

1 Like

Holy heck, 2022 and we are still ironing out the kinks of USB C.

Thanks both of you! I will just try using my wifeā€™s windows laptop first (I am using an M1 pro MacBook), and if that doesnā€™t work try the hub method.

Edit: I was able to install the firmware update using my wifeā€™s windows laptop. I guess if you use an M1 mac you always need a backup windows laptopā€¦ this is like the 5th time Iā€™ve had to use my wifeā€™s laptop for something. Thanks again all!

2 Likes

anyone managed to use their B6 voucher? I just tried and there was nothing to click at checkout. this is what they sent me.

thanks for being part of the SSL Big Six Family. An even bigger thank you for your patience while weā€™ve worked on a particularly annoying niggle in our phantom power supply which resulted in a small number of users experiencing low level noise on their mix busses.

Weā€™re in the process of rolling out a free of charge, user-retrofittable adapter board which resolves the issue. If your unit is affected, please contact the SSL distributor where you purchased your unit who can arrange to ship you a kit with full instructions to get you up and running with as little delay as possible.

We recognise you might feel uncomfortable fitting the kit yourself so weā€™ve put together a video to guide you through the process (rest assured, your factory warranty remains unaffected). If youā€™re still not sure, our distributors will be happy to arrange return of your unit to SSLHQ for the kit to be fitted by one of our technicians and returned to you.

As a gesture of goodwill, weā€™ve arranged for a 50% discount to be applied automatically to any single item you might like to purchase from our webstore at store.solidstatelogic.com. To redeem your discount, log into the webstore using the email address you registered your Big Six against and click the ā€˜BIG SIX Voucher 2022ā€™ link during the checkout process.

1 Like

Ah! I just tried two days ago, attracted by the huge deal, but have the same experience: no links appearing. In Juni, it worked (Iā€™ve bought nothing but tried).

I wrote to SSL about the B6 voucher. It is visible again on the payment page. The offer is valid until the end of August. And it doesnā€™t cumulate with other promotions (e.g. the limiter still costs 50 dollars)

as an experiment, I tired adding a full price item during the sale but the voucher still didnā€™t work. the next day after the sale, SSL reset it and said that it only applies to full priced plugins. I think they pulled the vouchers down during the sale period to avoid people using them lol
first world problems and all that, but this has left a bad taste in my mouth, which is silly as Iā€™ve been so patient up till now.

3 Likes

I think SSL has handled the whole thing poorly. They should have at least kept a list of people who were affected and reached out to them, and kept those people updated. Half the time, I felt like I had to keep after them to get any info. The other half of the time, when there was an update on the retrofit kit, I found out about it on a forum, and not from SSL. They used to be active on GS, but as soon as issues came up, they disappeared from the Big Six thread.

I waited, what, 4 or 5 months for that firmware update? Ridiculous. Want to see how its done SSL, just watch Neve. They just recently released an interface that had a small bug in it. Neve has a form on their website for owners to fill out, and they are paying shipping costs for people to ship it back to them so they can update it themselves. Turnaround time about 10 days. I would have loved to have sent my Big Six out for about 10 days, instead of waiting months for them to figure out a USB update, and was a pain to get to work properly.

And really, how much would they lose by tossing us early-adopter-beta-testers some free plugins? 50% off one single plugin? Haha, fuck off.

10 Likes

Totally agree with both of you. SSL is being very stingy. At the very beginning, even before I knew about these problems, I wondered if there was an SSL software bundle included with the B6. Many brands (MOTU, PRESONUS, etc.) do it. For them itā€™s a cheap way to increase the value of their hardware.

Letā€™s move on ā€¦ music!

4 Likes

Does somebody use the B6 with the rack mount kit and could let me know how many HE it requires or even better the distance from the upper to the lower holes on the RM kit? On the SSL website it says 9 HE but in most shops it is described with 10 HE

Hereā€™s a BIG SIX B-Stock for 2150 ā‚¬ (ā€“> at Thomann). Maybe thatā€™s interesting.

1 Like

Looking from US at thomann, these are basically on fire sale almost 1k off currently. gahā€¦ feel like Iā€™ll regret if I donā€™t get one while price is low. But will hate myself for spending the money.

1 Like

What I see at Thomann is 650 ā‚¬ less than the list price, which nobody ever payed. Currently itā€™s 280 ā‚¬ less than what I payed at Thomann right after the Big Six was announced, so I wouldnā€™t call this a fire sale.

Itā€™s $2099 on thomann, $2999 from US retailers.

Remember because it is made in china and over $800 if you import it from abroad you are going to get hit with a huge tariff now. I think it is 25% or something like that. You end up paying more than if you bought it in the US after tarrif, regular taxes, and shipping.

2 Likes

Ah thereā€™s the kicker. Found a GS thread about similarly priced SSL Bus+, looks like he was hit with about $500 duty. It could still come out lower price but definitely not fire sale territory. Thanks all I feel better.

I remember just a few years ago when I think anything less than $2000 from anywhere was tax free and sometimes it would work out like this (although the pound and euro were stronger then too so the deals were not as good). And stuff from signal sounds would get here in like 2 days lol. Faster than local stores.

1 Like