Solid State Logic .. SSL Big SiX

For me, the issue between the left and right balance on the stereo channels was not that big of an issue when I had the Six, as they were only off by a little, and some of my stereo signals can be pretty wonky anyway. If you wanted to calibrate it you could just try sending a test tone through from your DAW, then return it into your DAW, and check the meter. Then turn the balance knob to where both sides are equal, and put a little mark, or a little piece of tape on the mixer panel, so now you have the mark in case the knob get moved.

1 Like

Every mixer I have ever owned has not had perfect balance between left and right on a test signal. Never anything audible though, I am sure my ears are more off than the mixer balance was. Of course I have never had a 20k mixer so I imagine those are dead on. But in actual practical use a tiny bit off does not make any difference except to my OCD.

4 Likes

Since this is class compliant could you just hook it to something like an MPC one that can accept class compliant usb interfaces? I am a little confused as the big six description lists a driver for windows but uses core audio for macā€¦

1 Like

This whole thing about the balance being slightly off, I never noticed. This canā€™t possibly be a real issue, only something you can perhaps confirm by measuring it but still go ā€œOh, okayā€ and just get on with it.

1 Like

Iā€™m fairly confident that if you run 50% of commercial recordings through something with good level meters (especially digital), youā€™ll see an unbalanced stereo pair.

1 Like

It was a non-issue for me as well. I am more worried about my balance after a handful of beers.

5 Likes

Hence your handle, right? Once you pan too hard to the left, a mate steps up to

(waaait for it)

hold your beer.

And I guess thatā€™s my exit. Getting my coat now.

3 Likes

I mean, I know you baited me. Iā€™m just too much of a sucker to resist.

1 Like

Iā€™m interested too! Seems like the SSL S2+ is working fine with the current MPC models, from what I read at the MPC forums.
The combo would be quite powerful, I quite like the AIR plugins for mixing, but they probably canā€™t keep up with actual SSl analog components.

1 Like

:rofl:

Weā€™ve just hit the peak of this thread. People should enjoy and remember this.

4 Likes

so my problem: i used to have this ssl6
although i like the sound and the feel, i didnt need it
this one looks amazing, will be lovely with my a4/matriarch/digitakt
butā€¦ 3k$ :frowning:
might be better to spend so much money into paying off my house, or go on holiday with my family.

1 Like

Can confirm, I hook up my SSL 2 to my MPC Live II (Retro) and it works great. The possibility of using a Big Six with my MPC is genuinely mouth watering (or maybe Iā€™m hungry for lunch?).

1 Like

If this wasnā€™t a perfect moment of Elektronautā€™s own Starsky & Hutch, I donā€™t know what is.

Mods, call it. As my man says, this thread needs to be preserved in the perfect state it eventually reached. It would be a shame if we ruined it with further on topic nonsense.

1 Like

howā€™s the latency?

I really like Espenā€™s channel but if the reason I didnā€™t buy a piece of kit was because I ā€˜didnā€™t want to pay for thatā€™ I wouldnā€™t have any gear at all ā€¦ I have an allergic reaction to anything over $250 lol

he does make some additional good points though

This is something to look into as I believe the new mpc line 2.10 update requires LINUX based class complianceā€¦ unsure if big six will work? Anyone know?

Reference for mpc class compliment workflow and latency issues:

1 Like

Sick - see me post above.

No latency? See the link I posted above. Thansk

2 Likes

I like that he really pushed the preamps to show us how it saturates. Gets pretty dirty which I wasnā€™t expecting. Now, where can I find a spare 3Kā€¦

2 Likes