[Solved] Ground/USB noise with my Sub37

Not yet but that’s on my list of tries. Got sucked into a M sound in between, to combat the depression of that noise :wink:

1 Like

Excellent! :rofl:

1 Like

Just tried, noise is there…

I’ll have to try more systematically in the week.

1 Like

Does the noise level disappear if you turn the sub output down? With the interface input level up? If it’s still there does it go if you turn the sub power switch off?

The reason I ask is that the volume level and power switch don’t have any effect on the actual ground/earth connections. Just trying to narrow it down a bit

Indeed the noise is still there when I power OFF the Sub37 or turn down its volume output. It’s gone as soon as I disconnect its output jack.

1 Like

Okay. Plug the jack back in and unplug the power cable to the sub. If it goes then it’s a ground loop as you’re physically disconnecting the mains earth

Still there with the Sub37 power cable unplugged.

1 Like

So that should discount a ground loop issue? As you’ve now only got one ground connection to the sub by way of the jack sleeve.

1 Like

So… The USB cable with Ferrite to connect the UCX did no difference. I tried again to unplug everything, take the Xone out of the equation by plugging the Sub37 directly into the UCX… no good.

Then by searching the internet I tried using an audio ground isolator, I happen to have one, such as this:

(not this model, but same) and bam! no noise, clean as a whistle, happy I am!

Not the cleanes solution in terms of adapters but it works and sound great. Yay!

4 Likes

Man, I envy that feeling you must have right now. Gods Golden Light of Trubleshooting.

1 Like

Truly delightful, joyful :blush:

1 Like

Glad the ground lift did the job for you!

Yeah and I’m puzzled not to have thought about that, on the audio side, before. When I was suggested a DI I didn’t think of this thing…

Thanks again for the help.

1 Like

No worries! The DI was so you could use the ground lift facility but you’ve done the same thing with the adaptor.

Glad the noise has stopped for you at last!

1 Like

Yo… @Bunker is a real one for sticking with it.

And congrats on @amaury for not giving up. Alot of people do not troubleshoot.

1 Like

Saw this on the music memes thread.

Just in case you want to go back.

2 Likes

:joy:

Yes! A DI would be cleaner I guess, I may get one some day. This adapter->minijack adapter is a bit sketchy. But works.

1 Like

Stumbled on this solution yesterday, good chance this would work too…Fix for a noisy Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 Gen 3 - YouTube

1 Like

Interesting, thanks! I’ve been wondering about both the solutions they tried in the video, and great to see that the cheap one is working there.

I’ll try it, it’s inexpensive :blush: