Some Scratching

Ah cool just checked the site - yes there is a new one

If it’s just the OM cart that it supports then I wouldnt touch it as its not meant to be that great.

If my SC3900’s will work without NI hardware, its starting to look good! 49€ is a decent upgrade price.

Also wondering what the new iOS Traktor is gonna be like… If it’s a significant improvement to the old Traktor app, with files integration etc, I’m going to be tempted inntrying my luck with an S2 again.

What I’m looking forward to most in new Traktor version is next gen DVS sound quality. IME DVS scratching in Traktor 2 sounds, well, slightly weak compared to scratching real vinyl…

So that means that I can use my Audient ID14, buy Traktor and timecode vinyls and I’m good to go? What about latency? This is insane! Unless I’m missing something.

Yup, read for yourself! “Scratch with any soundcard
I’m gonna grab a Traktor 12" and cut it down to 7" for my PT-01 Scratch :slight_smile:

1 Like

Not sure about latency but I’d expect any decent sound card to cope.

As long as it has 2 stereo inputs (L+R) for each deck you want to control. Id imagine it would have to have to be phono inputs tho and not regular line inputs.

1 Like

Ah yeah, that makes sense.

Not sure of any soundcards that have this.

Im thinking theyre more aiming at allowing any dj mixer(with usb audio) to connect to traktor

You can also buy dedicated standalone RIAA turntable preamps. They are not that expensive and will make phono signals into consumer level line, which you can connect easily to any line inputs (with appropriate cabling/adaptors ofc).

You don’t need to spend stupid money on a RIAA pre either. Diminishing returns and all that, especially if connected to club/scratching turntables, which will be the sonic bottleneck for higer end systems anyway :diddly:

Added some new bits and pieces to my PT-01 Scratch last night …

Now it’s a pretty damn kickass quality turntable, sounds a lot better and the needle sticks to the groove like glue which is amazing! Never ever put a great stylus and cart on a turntable ive owned before. Man, its night and day!

New Additions:
Jesse Dean Designs Carbon Fibre Tonearm & PreAmp
Shure M44-7 Cartridge & Stylus
White DJ Tech Tools Chroma Caps
Jesse Dean Designs White Felt Replacement
Jesse Dean Designs White Spindle Holder
Bluetooth Mixfader (Planning on using this with Traktor 3 Scratch & Timecode vinyl so I can sample on the fly and drop into Traktor for scratching and other turntable effects)
Jesse Dean Designs & Turntable Training Wax stickers.

Previous Additions:
Stokyo Skratch Ready Platter
Arcade Start/Stop Button
Stokyo Kutter Crossfader

Have tried the Mixfader with the app on iphone and it’s not quite a real experience, I hope that when I get traktor downloaded (tonight) that its a better realtime experience. If the bluetooth has lag then I think i can just plug it right in and use it as a mid controller directly.

2 Likes

Nice!

You have 7" Traktor timecode I presume? Where’d you get it?

I bought a 12" and have cut it down to size with a hot knife - it’s still to be sanded. lol.

Seemingly Native Instruments did sell them a while back but they are like gold dust and you’ll probably pay someone a crazy amount for one from ebay IF one comes up for sale.
I dropped NI a message to ask if they were thinking about releasing more 7’s now that Scratch is opened up to any soundcards and that portablism is getting a bigger thing. They replied but were not giving anything away.

I’ve been looking into the feasibility of getting a small batch of Traktor 7 inches made.
Probably go down this route if my sanding is all wack :wink:

1 Like

Check out what I just did. I made a scratch rig that all fits into one turntable case (except for the Strymon pedal). I mounted a Raiden portable fader and Rolls mini mixer inside so I can easily mix in external audio sources. Quite pleased with how it turned out!

4 Likes

salute!

looking good

how you lke that reloop & the raiden by the way?

I’ve been tempted by the new raiden RPM-100 lately, looks like a very slick portable mixer

The Reloop has served me well so far. I really like how much torque it has, but some of the details are mediocre- like rubber buttons instead of hard ones (like on a Technics 1200).

The Raiden fader is really nice. I like Innofaders, but they’re not my favorite. This little rig is much better than a portable TT imo, and it totally squashed my desire for a QFO.

I rearranged things a bit. MUCH better now.

I really want one of these though. That all black is so :fire:

I too kinda wanted one until I read the reviews… it hasnt been too well received AFAIK, reviewers seem to think the earlier technics models are better than the new one.

I’ll probably just stick to using my PT and my PDX3000 mk II for now

I didn’t realize there were already reviews. That’s too bad if they’re not stellar.

Ha, I know ProfessorBX (the guy who wrote this review). I used to see him around all the time when he lived here in Minneapolis.

I think he was being a bit unfair with his review. He admits it’s higher quality than the other OEMs, and that he is being more critical because it is Technics. I don’t have any false notions of its build quality being just as good as the models costing four times as much though. This passage sums it up best I think (I still really want one):

“The new motor is awesome. The pitch fader and buttons feel great. The tonearm is classic Technics. If you were to put this in front of me as the Pioneer PLX1000mk2, I would honestly say it was a quality piece of kit. The problem though is that it IS a Technics. Putting out a new 1200 carries with it certain expectations that this doesn’t quite match up to…”