Someone told me I should get a pedal board

Yeah, I think I’m done here :slight_smile:

As usual, I appreciate the advice you all gave and I enjoyed the conversation substantially more than I’d done just googling or shopping around. So this was rewarding in its own way, and I’m left feeling quite pleased with what I got.

I might get one of them angled patch cables, tho. That’d just make it easier to line up the pedals closer to each other.

But otherwise, I’ll just go with what I got now. Thanks, all :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I got a Palmer pedalboard recently. £15UK from Cash Converters. Don’t pay circa £100+ for what is essentially a metal shelf with Velcro. S/H or DIY rules.

1 Like

This is a very old picture, most of these things I don’t have any more. But you get the idea. Easy DIY desktop pedalboard.

1 Like

Those things are great! Big fan over here.

1 Like

Yep, def get them, can’t imagine linking pedals without them!

1 Like

A very literal pedal board, in fact.

1 Like

I have mixed experiences with pedal boards. So far the one that works for me is the Holeyboard as it lets you manage cables easier and can use zip ties fairly well.

1 Like

I’d start by drawing up the board you think you need and how it would work including all the power requirements.

Your pedals are heavy on juice, I wouldn’t daisy chain, I used to do that, wasn’t much noise so though it was fine, right voltage etc but if your not maxing the amp of the pedal your missing out. Once I hooked up a proper power supply the sound improvement/quality was huge as the pedals were getting the full current.

If your flush, you could get a midi switcher so can hook up the pedals in isolation the switch on/off and change the signal order path of the pedals on the fly. Usually for pros gigging so would be over kill but sweet as.

1 Like

https://pedalboardplanner.com/

1 Like

Hah, you’re done when we say you’re done. Have you considered going fully ITB?

1 Like

If you’re not a guitarist I wouldn’t bother tbh. I spent a small fortune on 2 of the larger Temple Audio boards with all the accessories (side jacks, power inlets etc) and expensive power solutions. It was fun planning/building them similar to playing on ModularGrid but on paper for me. However, after a few months I wanted to swap a few pedals which was a major ball ache. I had custom made patch and midi cables of specific lengths and pedals arranged to fit in certain spaces etc with plate attachments stuck to them. After a year it was a fucking mess with pedals just sitting on the boards with patch/midi/power cables everywhere! Now, most of my pedals I just keep in a closet and pull them out when needed to some desk space that is set aside for them!

1 Like

I’ve been doing this with a subset of my synths lately and I’m much happier than when I try to have everything set up and cabled at the same time. Same with pedals… I have a couple permanent effects, but others stay on the shelf if I’m not using them. I think it’s a perfectly valid way to do things, because I get to focus on what I’m using at the time. Each instrument/effect gets the attention it deserves, in a way.

If you do end up setting them all up, just make sure you have enough power for them all. Some of these modern boutique pedals can draw a lot of juice. They can be daisychained as long as the power supply has enough amps – for example if you have 3 x 150mA pedals, just make sure your power supply is at least 450. I think a lot of those in your picture are in fact 150mA

2 Likes

This is a really good point, off topic perhaps but I spend most of the time with all my gear connected and then get stressed when I am not using it all in a jam/get GAS for new things. I think if I could be a bit more disciplined and have a rotation in place it might solve these issues. I’m going to try that. Problem is usually as soon as something is off my desk I want to sell it!!

1 Like

I know it’s slightly off topic, but not completely! For me it applies to pedals as much as other gear… I try to play effects like they’re instruments, so it’s kind of all the same category in my mind.

Lately I have a few things that are permanently set up, for sure. Like a mixer with some the basic routing, one hardware FX loop, MIDI boxes, computer, audio interface, an Octatrack. I have the rest of my stuff on shelves and it just feels so much nicer to grab one or two things and focus on them. Pedals are such a pain to cable up, and then swap places when I decide to change the chain… It’s easier to just stop pretending there’s a permanent setup, because the truth is I’ll always want to change things up :slight_smile:

1 Like

Didn’t read through the whole thread so this was probably already suggested: Why don’t you get a power cable and audio cable for all pedals that’s always hooked up to the pedal? You can then decide, which one you would like to use and grab its audio out, still a lot more convenient I would say. If you’re always just using one pedal, you could also put the end of the power plug on top of the pedal so that it’s not always on but you can quickly insert it if needed. That’s the way I do it with my pedals. Been thinking about a board as well but this thread convinced me otherwise, so thank you.

Can I ask why you have both Gen Loss versions? Too much of a hassle to set up MKII in classic mode?

1 Like

Nostalgia :slight_smile: I had the first one before it was a thing and I don’t have the heart to part with it :heartpulse:

3 Likes

I have a small loop master patch bay might work for you. If your near london you can borrow it to try.

1 Like

Hey, I appreciate the offer. I’m in Sweden so I won’t be dropping by this weekend at least :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Could try a sling shot……

1 Like

So I ended up with this. Quite happy about it, as it were.

7 Likes