Squarp Instruments Hapax Polychronic Performance Sequencer

Damn :worried:

Got the Hapax on Friday and wow this thing is a dream - the immediacy of drawing automation on the grid so great, and itā€™s awesome just having the complete MIDI profiles of all my gear ready to go. I will say though, it does not feel particularly stable yet. Hitting the pattern button has a roughly 20-30% chance of freezing my machine with no recovery except a power cycle (RIP to whatever Iā€™d done since last project save). I filed a bug report but it feels so heisenbug-like that Iā€™m not sure I gave Squarp much to go on. At one point I thought Iā€™d nailed it - power on, load a specific instrument definition, hit pattern - since that got me 4 crashes in row, but then that stopped crashing itā€¦

I think if the machine wasnā€™t as good as it is, and Squarp werenā€™t as reliable with bug fixes as they are, this might be enough to get me to return it, but Iā€™ll see what happens. Iā€™m curious if anyone else on the latest firmware is experiencing anything like this though, because itā€™s pretty rough.

2 Likes

Interesting, what firmware are you on? Iā€˜ve had mine since September and I have yet to experience a crash/hang up.

EDIT: just saw that youā€˜re on the latest firmware. Iā€˜m on 1.11, no issues with it thus far.

What instrument definition was it that seemed to be part of the freeze?

I havenā€™t had any freezes yet on mine and Iā€™m using the factory SD card. Iā€™ve had mine since may or June.

One example from when I had 4 crashes in a row. No idea if it was the instrument definition contributing though!

Rytm Instrument Definition

VERSION 1
TRACKNAME RYTM KICK
TYPE POLY
OUTPORT A
OUTCHAN 1
INPORT NULL
INCHAN NULL

[PC]
[/PC]

[CC]
3 NOTE
4 VELOCITY
5 LENGTH
11 SYN TRIG
12 SMPL TRIG
13 ENV TRIG
14 LFO TRIG

95 TRK LVL
94 TRK MUTE
93 TRK SOLO
15 TRK MACH TYPE
92 ACTIVE SCENE

35 PERF 1
36 PERF 2
37 PERF 3
39 PERF 4
40 PERF 5
41 PERF 6
42 PERF 7
43 PERF 8
44 PERF 9
45 PERF 10
46 PERF 11
47 PERF 12

16 SYNTH 1
17 SYNTH 2
18 SYNTH 3
19 SYNTH 4
20 SYNTH 5
21 SYNTH 6
22 SYNTH 7
23 SYNTH 8

24 SMPL TUNE
25 SMPL FINE
26 SMPL BITR
27 SMPL SLOT
28 SMPL START
29 SMPL END
30 SMPL LOOP
31 SMPL LVL

70 FLT ATK
71 FLT DEC
72 FLT SUS
73 FLT REL
74 FLT FRQ
75 FLT RES
76 FLT MODE
77 ENV DEPTH

78 AMP ATK
79 AMP HOLD
80 AMP DEC
81 OVERDRIVE
82 DLY SEND
83 RVB SEND
10 PAN
7 VOL

102 LFO SPD
103 LFO MULT
104 LFO FADE
105 LFO DEST
106 LFO WAVE
107 LFO PHASE
108 LFO TRG MODE
109 LFO DPTH MSB
118 LFO DPTH LSB
[/CC]

[ASSIGN]
1 CC:16
2 CC:17
3 CC:18
4 CC:19
5 CC:20
6 CC:21
7 CC:22
8 CC:23
[/ASSIGN]

[AUTOMATION]
[/AUTOMATION]

[COMMENT]
ELEKTRON ANALOG RYTM Kick Track
[/COMMENT]

1 Like

I did read somewhere that the comments section will possible crash the hapax for whatever reason, might try going through your definition files and deleting all the comments at the bottom just to see if that resolves it. More likely than not its the instrument definition causing it as Iā€™ve heard thats a known issue.

Thanks for the suggestion, tried that (and deleted all the # comments as well for good measure) and I still got plenty of crashes when pressing Patternā€¦ I think the only thing for it is to disconnect a bunch of stuff and use it as basically as possible and increment back up to my setup to see when the crashes begin again, though I really donā€™t think Iā€™m doing anything unusual.

Dang. Yeah itā€™s definitely odd. Maybe try a different SD card? I tried getting it to crash using my instrument definitions I made and a few I downloaded and I couldnā€™t get mine to crash

maybe not the source of your issue but if u turn DEBUG ENABLED to ON, it will alert you if the instrument definition has any errors (and on what line the error occurs) when you go to load it.

1 Like

That sounds weird. Do you have another SD card to try? Iā€™m on the latest firmware using loads of instrument definitions and I havenā€™t had a single crash so far.

1 Like

Maybe return it because of the issues und ask for a different unit. If others might not have the issue, it can be a problem with your unit.

2 Likes

Yeah returning it might be necessary - waiting to hear back from Squarp re: the bug report. Iā€™m hoping itā€™s software related so I donā€™t have to deal with the faff of getting it back to them and waiting for a new one. I have a working theory that the crashes are all happening when Hapax is being externally clocked - thatā€™s been the case for all crashes, and trying it when itā€™s master instead seems to be totally stable. Not ideal if that is the case, but at least I can give Squarp some actionable info then.

it will alert you if the instrument definition has any errors (and on what line the error occurs)

Oh weird, on my machine I get those syntax error warnings without Debug Enabled being On :thinking: are you also on 1.12?

EDIT: So Iā€™ve had it on and playing for the last three hours while I work, going and doing some stuff on it every 10 mins - instrument definitions on every track. No crashes at all. Key difference is right now itā€™s not being clocked by anything, which Iā€™m now convinced is contributing to whatever bug there is.

2 Likes

The syntax error messages will always appear, no matter the debug setting.

I donā€™t think Iā€™ve clocked Hapax externally since the latest update. Since I only do that when recording something into Logic. Iā€™ll try that now.

Edit: A few hours laterā€¦ left it running in the background for a while, created a few patterns and sections. No crash. Could still well be a setting/instrument def/usage combination on your side that leads to a crash. Which Hapax port are you receiving clock on?

Iā€™ve had crashes on one of the MIDI din ports and the usb device port. Does feel like itā€™s some mystery combo unfortunately.

EDIT: Think Iā€™ve solved it! The USB host connection to a eurorack module (IO Labs Flux) seems to be the weak link. I probably should have guessed this, Fluxā€™s MIDI implementation feels fairly experimental and seems to be expecting to be connected to a computer and nothing else. No idea what it might have been doing to poor Hapax, but I had a crash-free evening without it. Flux can have Pamā€™s clock again I think :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Woo hooā€¦in stock, finally ordered one. I bought one of the first ones and sold it when I needed some cashā€¦now I have a little for xmas.

I always look for sequencers like the OT with per step parameter locks but with more steps. Then, I realize if I have a Sp 404 mk2, I can just use that with a kick on one pad and then resample the kick with a delay for when I want that soundā€¦and being able to use say, 4 tracks on the Hapax to midi to 4 different sets of 16 padsā€¦itā€™s just fantastic and really donā€™t need P locks, even if it does have them.

Iā€™m so darn excited. Selling a slightly used Forceā€¦I just love hardware and itā€™s so hard for me to use a VST in a computer or a Force or MPC. So, now need one more hardware synth so I have enough for some song creation. Now, i just gotta decide if I want to use the computer to record into or my Bluebox.

2 Likes

Cannot tell if youā€™re talking about the SP-404 MKII or the Hapax here lol.

1 Like

A few questions

• Is there a list of the available sources and destinations in the LFO / mod matrix anywhere? I canā€™t seem to find these in the manual.
  • Slightly related - Iā€™m trying to determine whether I can do accumulator type things with the Hapax (this can be done using mod lanes in the Oxi One bc they can run at different rates from your main sequence or using Accumulator events with the Cirklon). For example, every 4 bars increase a CC value by 5, every 3 bars increase velocity by 10, every 8 bars transpose all notes by 3, etc. Maybe this is instead done in an automation lane? But can an automation lane run at a different rate than the main sequence? Or can you, for example apply an automation lane running at a different rate on Track 2 to your MIDI date on Track 1?

Not sure, but if you are using an instrument definition for that track, all the named CC destinations will appear under their own section in the destinations.

This is the only solutionā€¦ for now.

1 Like

Thanks for the response! To clarify I donā€™t have a Hapax - was just curious about the sources / destinations but it doesnā€™t sound like they have a bunch of internal destinations at the moment (unlike the Oxi One). Hopefully they add that to open up some of the generative possibilities!

there are a lot of options though. for instance, all the MIDI FX on a track have their parameters as destinations in all the mod sources, including themselvesā€¦

1 Like