SSL THE BUS+ Compressor

Im a bit worried about the many double functions on each knob (short press, long press etc.), eg the setting of the frequency of the dynamic bell EQ seems not very intuitive. Hardware is always about accessability, but this seems to suffer a bit. Curious how people will mix with it on a daily basis.

2 Likes

I felt like the interface was overwhelming after watching the intro video, but after watching a few more demos, it doesn’t look bad at all. SSL does an outstanding job on useability with their products, so I think the Bus+ will be ok. I use my compressors every time I record and mix–so I don’t think it be hard remembering the functions. The demos sound amazing so far.

1 Like

was a but curious about this as well, the EQ thing caught my attention as well. However, SSL and the especially their classic bus comp was always well known for being fairly easy and intuitive to dial in, so I am hoping that the Bus+ continues that tradition.

Of course when you add extra functionality in a set space, you make some sacrifices. I still have hight hopes!

My Bus+ arrived a couple days ago—beautiful piece of studio gear, for sure. The interface complexity is a non-issue—it took 30 min to get comfortable with every function. What might not be obvious is secondary functions are labeled on the front panel and the buttons/leds/meters give easily understandable feedback on which modes are set. Holding off any thoughts on the sound, since I haven’t even had the time to test the full unit.

7 Likes

That’s great, thanks for the first impressions. I look forward to hearing what you think of the sound as you get to use it more.

3 Likes

Yep, what @HoldMyBeer said - really interested in what this one sounds like outside of Sweetwater’s American rock demos.

1 Like

Hey @resonant_space, any chance to explore yet? What’s your impression of the sound quality?

edit: I guess it was only 21 hours since your last post:… haha. Sorry.

1 Like

I allowed it. The Big Six, Fusion and the Bus+. So what can I say. That’s all i need. At the beginning of the chain a Gullfoss, between this in the “insert” the Fusion & Bus+ then a digital limiter from Softube WEISS at the end. Finished. I’m really not an expert when it comes to mastering, but it all sounds finished without me having to do anything big. I thought the G-Comp in the Big Six is really dope… but what the Bus+ gets out of it… wow. The Dynamic EQ is a game changer.

1 Like

Got a sound example?

As I sayed I am not a mastering expert. I am still learning with my own tracks. but here you go. sorry for the volume difference. and sorry did not had time to make a good premaster. so I used a bad mixed track of mine. :innocent:

blank:

SSL Bus+ & Fusion:

2 Likes

I got a Six and a Fusion and had figured the Bus+ wouldn’t add enough to warrant the purchase. But you got a similar rig and express the Bus+ added value for you.

What’s the biggest Before and After the Bus+ for you?

I’m tired of buying new plugins all the time. I just wanted a solution that is in the rack and I no longer have to pay attention to it. just some glue and saturation.

Buuuut the Bus+ can do so much more. The G-Series EQ sounds completely different than the Violett EQ. For me, the G-Series EQ is more like the warm console sound and the violet is more like a Pultec.

Sorry if I tell something wrong. But that’s my feeling on the matter.

I often put way too much bass in the mix. I just can’t hold myself back but the Dynamic EQ from the bus tackles it easily and compresses it well in 2 seconds. When you lose too much. Just turn the smiley back in with the Violet or G-Series Eq. They will sound completely different and you can used it as a creative sound choice.

The Violett EQ is very silky and soft. The G-Series EQ is very punchy, warm and neutral compared to the other. And it also has two modes.

What is really fun with is the LOW THD, F/B, 4K mode button. Always sounds like a completely new device. different combinations are also possible. There is a lot of freedom for creativity in this unit.

If only there was a tube in it…

:innocent:

3 Likes

the beat is AR mk2, Bass is Moog Subsequent 25, Lead Sound is OB-6, Arp is Waldorf M, Strings ar REV2

this are the setting I used on SSLs

Thanks :slightly_smiling_face: great answer. So you never use Violet and Dynamic EQ together?

But you still blend parts of the Fusion with the Bus+?

Always I use them together. But may you misunderstand the device. The Bus+ has 2 EQs. 1 is the G-Series EQ and the other is a dynamic EQ. So it make sense to use always (if needed) the Dynamic EQ and Violett or the G-Series EQ. But as always there are no rules.

Here is the same mix like before but with G-Series EQ instead of the before used Violet Eq.

1 Like

Sounds great, mate :slightly_smiling_face: thanks :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Somehow I’ve tasted blood now (Ich hab jetzt Blut geleckt). That’s what we say in Germany when you can’t get enough. Somehow I can’t shake the feeling of having to use a Tube Vari Mu after the Bus+. Anyone have experience with it?

2 Likes

Is that what the Ramstein lyric refers to?

Ihr wollt doch auch das Blut vom Degen lecken

1 Like

Im trying to decide between this and the tegeler creme to go in the insert of my fusion. Thoughts? I also have a big six. Either one will be my last piece of outboard gear for a longggg time.

I have a Creme and would tell you that it really depends more on what you’re after in terms of EQ or compressor. If you want a lot more control over the compressor functionality, then the Bus+ is the clear winner. The Creme has a beautiful finishing EQ, but since it’s boost only limits its overall role.

I really love the Creme and it’s been a workhorse for me for a few years now, but I think it’ll eventually be replaced. I have a Silver Bullet and that would never go (aside from upgrading to their MKII version), but at least in my head the end game as of right now is adding a Fusion, Bettermaker EQ and Bus+ as my outboard chain. I’d like much more flexibility in both EQ and compressor in the outboard realm.