SSL THE BUS+ Compressor

I’ve loved it, but I find talking about this sort of stuff super unproductive given how many variables there are that affect things beyond even the subjectivity of our ears and tastes.

I’d say it’s definitely worth consideration as a bus compressor. It’s sort of my end of chain sweetener along with an Overstayer M-A-S and am pretty happy :slight_smile:

2 Likes

My first noob-experience is tough and nice. Tough because I don’t understand it (still have to read the manual), but very nice results :slight_smile:
How to learn this? I will start reading the f manual

Are you guys tracking into the SSL outboard or simply mixing your recorded stems into it etc post tracking

I was wondering that too. I can’t see many sources advocating it during tracking except maybe on vocals and drums. Keen to hear other thoughts though.

How is the Fusion and Bus+ combo working out for members who own both processors?

One of my goals this year is to upgrade the outboard processors used in a secondary project studio space. To that end, I recently ordered a SSL Fusion.

The Fusion has a lot going for it, but is missing a broad band compressor and the Bus+ appears to be a good match for a stereo mix bus setup. Below is the short list of planned items, which also includes an EQ for more frequency control:

• SSL Fusion
  • SSL Bus+
  • API 5500 or Maag EQ4M
2 Likes

Yeah that sounds amazing. Thinking of the tegeler creme next month. Also trying to get rid of digititis. Mastering is also the goal since my itb masters sound sub standard so I’m happy to glean tips from the conversation. Thanks so much for your compressor/eq know how.

1 Like

You’re welcome to ask me any questions in public or private. I’m happy to knowledge share and don’t believe mastering is some dark art that only a limited number of people can do. It’s like basically everything else… just a lot of practice and experience.

There was another thread called ‘Mastering Mastering’ or something like that which might be a better place to share and ask. I had written up a pretty lengthy response to questions people hadn’t yet asked yet, but I don’t think I ever posted it. I should probably go ahead and do that.

2 Likes

hmmm… it is so good… I am thinking about to get rid of my Bus+ and Fusion.

1 Like

I’ve had my eye on this since it came out, really that good huh? I love all the softube stuff I have, maybe my favorite plugin company. But I don’t buy many plugins…

It’s very good, for sure. A little easy to overdo on some of the extras, but overall, it’s an excellent character compressor. I don’t know if I’d personally go so far as to let go of a Bus+ and Fusion if I already had them, but these days I personally feel that hardware is that very last 5-10% at most difference. What that means to someone is up to them to decide where owning outboard gear can be a luxury and not a necessity.

The SSL Bus Compressor 2, while having just being a compressor and less extra processing, prior to the Softube release was and still is one of my favorites. It goes on sale a few times a year. I think I’ve seen it as low as $40 in the past.

Such an amazing time for both hardware and software. It’s really quite unbelievable at times.

1 Like

Thanks for the info!

I am definitely keeping the SSL Fusion. I got rid of a lot of my outboard gear, but I don’t think I will ever get rid of all of it. If anything it is useful to at least have a gain knob if I want to clip converters or something lol.

1 Like