Standalone Mixer / Audio Interface as small as possible

Honestly I don‘t know… It‘s my first one. I needed one that can record without laptop too.

downside of R16 is only 44.1k supported.
so, R24 seems better if 44.1k is insufficient.

In interface mode, it supports up to 24bit/96kHz.

If you want to use fx, or record to sd card, it only supports up to 44kHz.

Honestly, if 44kHz would be that problem, every single octatrack would be meh.

Quote out of the manual:

Hi-Speed USB (USB 2.0) audio interface
You can use the R16 as a Hi-speed USB (USB
2.0) audio interface that has abundant input
and output jacks. The R16 can handle 8 inputs
and 2 outputs at a maximum of 24-bit and 96
kHz, and its effects can even be used at 44.1
kHz sampling rate. The unit can also operate
using only USB bus power.

1 Like

MOTU all the way.
UltraLite Mk3 Hybrid here (USB+Firewire).
Can work as standalone devices.
8 IN 10 OUT.
Compresor, EQ and Reverb.
CueMix allows for routings and hardware setups can be recalled.
Have been using it so far with Traktor and Maschine.
Now with Volcas and DT.
Super reliable under Mac.
Far cheaper than other brands and top quality.
Can vouch for it.

2 Likes

Still didn’t pull the trigger on anything. Once you start digging in and reading specs and start GASing real hard it doesn’t take you long to browse the 5k EUR and up - sections :sweat_smile:

But one thing that I found out is, that there are two different types of these products:

There are Mixers with audio interfaces as secondary function and there are audio interfaces with mixers as secondary function. Recalling what the requirements are (space limitations aside) I definitely need the first category.

Motu still in the race, RME delivers way over the top, k-mix still somehow quirky to me, zoom needs more investigation.

Will keep you in the loop as to where my wine-supported rooftop-located (yay, summer has come to town!) online-reviews will lead me :wine_glass::sunglasses:

Cheers

1 Like

Mixer (CueMix) in MOTU UltraLite Mk3 is extremely flexible. You can remotely control it through an iPad app.
The mixer that comes with UltraLite Mk4 is even better in terms of routings.
I had not used much of CueMix up until 6 months ago when I started working away from my laptop. It has proven to be extremely handy.
Hope this helps,
V

1 Like

Guys, thanks for all the recommendations, just a quick wrap-up here…

I guess I’ll just abandon multitrack recording. That’s the conclusion I had after reviewing all the gear mentioned here and then also putting my view of “live” into perspective.

Thing is: I’m preparing for a little (private) live set right now and a mixer is just one more thing to take with you. Multitracking and separate editing won’t be happening anyway when playing live. I’ll get a 2 in interface to record the final output, should give a much clearer view on what to expect on a PA system.

Guess I’ll just get an OT in the near future to consolidate my DT, the Erica Synth Techno System and the Lyra-8 and learn it’s (the OT’s) other features along the way.

But thanks to all of you who contributed!

Cheers,
Manolo

Good luck, manolo.

As for me, I’ve got my sights on a Roland Go Mixer Pro, as part of my little campaign to put up videos on Youtube. It allows simultaneous video and multi-track audio recording. At its price point, there are unavoidable compromises, but I’m willing to live with those.

1 Like

Go:Mixer is actually really handy. It is great for recording into a phone for YouTube / Instagram / Whatever. Great bang for the buck.

+1 for the techno system, sold some bones&blood for it, but kept the AH QuPac, dream team…

Hi - surprised this post didn’t get more love - so are you saying that with that behringer box you could plug a small midi controller with faders and then you have a multichannel audio interface with faders, that can also work without a computer. Are you still using this setup?

Hi - surprised me too tbh :slight_smile: I still use this setup until today, but I added a Behringer X Touch Controller, which makes it even better (motorized faders, illuminated scribble strips, perfect integration with the xr18 and the possibility to switch between mixer control and daw control with the press of a button). It all works like a charm for me, but you should keep in mind that it all has that typical a little cheap Behringer feeling…

All the serious choices are RME. I think it’s a very good investment as they are just about the only audio interfaces that also age really well and get driver support far into the future. The built-in matrix mixer is best in class.

Yes, very interested in learning how you set this up. Just picked up the xR18 & would love to be able to control it with something small & not Internet connected :rofl: have a Launch Control XL I would like to use for faders/mutes or open to getting the x-touch mini, but have no clue of how to connect to the mixer (USB, midi?) or what CC values to use.