Subwoofer recommendation

I don’t have it yet. I have the kh80 though. The DSP software is pretty limited though and I wouldn’t count on it at all from my experience. You also NEED a wifi router connected via cables to each speaker for it to work…

A correction software with accompanying microphone like those from Sonarworks would be better suited IMO.

1 Like

Kh80 are on the way, but I don‘t have them yet too. But as far as I understood there is a multiband eq. So you could measure with sonarworks or room eq wizard and copy the correction curve into the neumanns. And the router should just be there for setup as far as I know? Which in fact is a pretty stupid thing😄…why didn‘t they use blutooth or something.

Are you planing on getting the kh750? It seems like this is a good sub and with the dsp…maybe you could get at least some problems sorted with that.

ok, so I just installed my subwoofer (presonus temblor T10) and created a sonarworks reference profile for it. Im really wondering how I managed to live without one all these years.
I played some tracks and sets I know pretty good and really enjoyed it. then I started one of my tracks where I thought I had the bottom end halfway decent and almost threw up. This is eye opening…

4 Likes

Still enjoying this setup/woofer @loopdude ?

How loud is the Temblor at low levels? Like immediately police at the door or okay-ish-as-long-as-you’re-in-good-standing-with-the-neighbors?

Currently got a pair of Genelec 8040 loaners from a fellow ‘naut, and figuring out wether I should go 8020/8030 and a budget sub like the Temblor, or 8040s - which sound great but are really loud for my smallish 4x5m room.

I still love it, yes.

Set up properly, the subwoofer is like reverb in a track. You only really notice it when its gone. One could conclude, that at low levels it should be alright if your neighbors havent come ringing without the sub. I have not had problems with neighbors, but they are cool, so I wouldnt take that as reference.

2 Likes

I m thinking of getting a sub and mainly keeping the thread alive here with some rather usual questions:

• sub placement. I can’t place it where it should be between my two hs80m. So I m left with 2 the corner of the room underneath the left speaker. 2 against the wall in my library like a meter away from my left speaker 3 I just sit on it, underneath the chair (picked the idea on this thread actually!)
    Sounds like 3 is the best no? Would one out two lead to huge problems? Can they be mitigated?

• neighbors. I live in a concrete building with decent isolation but no miracle land here either. So far I had no issue with using the hs80m at reasonable volume but I have stopped my playing electric guitar ;). I m not looking to blast the volume but just increase sound quality. I should be fine ?

• as for gear goes, most likely sticking to the Yamaha. Any feedback on the older hs10w vs the newer hs8s?

Thanks for the feedback.

1 Like

From my experience they way you body/ears/brain reacts to sub frequencies is they don’t really know where they are coming from so if you monitors are pushing volume at the crossover frequency it really just makes it seem like your monitors are pushing subs. So sub placement shouldn’t really be relative to you like your monitors but instead relative to your room, I think commonly corners are going to give you a boost the sub so you would probably avoid that, I think option 3 is really dependent on the size of your room like if the space behind you is on the smaller size you might not want to give up the space between the speaker and wall behind you.

I think ultimately you want to test it in all 3 spots, likely the sub will sound boosted in the corner maybe a little too quite under your chair and you will want to find a spot where it feels is in-between the both in volume maybe spot 2 will work or maybe under the chair will feel best and then from there attempt to tune it further with the controls on the back of the sub, depending on the sub they might have specific instructions on how to tune it.

Thanks for this excellent feedback, very clear and pragmatic summary of some other materials I have found.
Bottom line, I think I lol start looking for an used unit to give it a try :smiley:
Sounds like if option 2 works out, that will be the most convenient.
Cheers.

go for the small genelec sub, you wont be disappointed
i have used a bigger focal CMS sub for a long time from small to medium sized rooms, and prefer the genelec even in a mid sized room.

good luck, but i can safely say the genelec is best bang for your buck and has smallest footprint and shaped nicely to slide under a desk or tight space. It’s not very deep, shaped like a very large thick book instead of a cube if that makes sense. Unfortunately price has gone up on everything but you used to be able to find them for around 500 usd

Looks like the 7350.
Price is way up than
the Yammy but I may get lucky.

You ideally want the sub to be close to the same distance from your ears as the speakers are, so everything is in phase.