Sugar Bytes Drum Computer vs Rytm/Syntakt/Digitakt

Thanks! I have a several of his processing apps and they’re not bad at all. Very interested!

1 Like

Don’t know if it’ll make sense, but i see it more as a percussive machine than a Drum machine. It’s really for those who love odd textures and weird sounds.
It won’t do the trick if you want the usual suspects.

It has all the Sugar Bytes classic goodies :
A singular approach in it’s proposition, a playful ergonomy, a creativity enabler.

One feature that is freaking useful is the random kit generation button.
You will (almost…) never get out of place kit with sounds/machines going in all directions :
Each generated kit will have it’s proper sonic balance and it offers a quick way to get you started for tweaking.
Often, i’m just intersted in the kick and snare or just one of the perc/synth and i can hit random on single machines until i’m inspired to start modify and refine the kit.

Modulation option are deeply intertwined between engines for maximum pleasure.
And the sequencer is sweet indeed…hoping for futur updates with more conditional goodies.

Yes, there is the low end “problem”.
My experience is that thin kicks are the weakness of the random generative option.
Kick is the one machine that needs to get more tactical to obtain Low end, but you will get it for sure…no worries. Resonance is your friend.

Pretty much agree on this.
It’s far from being a bad thing to me, but yes, oh yes…one of my wet dream is an hardware version of Drumcomputer.

Cool plugin and I missed with it a year or so ago. I prefer the RYTM in terms of the sound, and live performance aspect. To me live performing the parts in the studio is really where it is at, and the RYTM makes that incredibly fast and fun.

I can use the DAW for drums and have many times but I just prefer hardware since I really dial in the details more and also do stuff off the cuff in a live performance that ends up being great for the track. Something to be said for that.

1 Like

So after looking at the specs and reading a few reviews, I bought it. First impressions - very positive. The envelope shaping is dope. First try I used Octachron (an Electron inspired sequencer) to drive it. After getting more familiar with it, I’ll try and sequence it with Drambo and try and modulate the envelopes. Damn, if that works - out there possibilities. Thanks again for bringing mt attention to this app :+1:

2 Likes

Think I’m definitely going to have to get it now. Glad you like it

1 Like

I bought and really didn’t like the UI so gave up using it.

1 Like

Sugarbytes drum computer vs electribe er 1.

Thats what I want to know.

Edit: well that didn’t take long. Answered it myself. Downloaded the free version of drum computer, don’t like the sound. Don’t like the UI. So that’s a big fat no from me.

1 Like

Just discovered the drum computer last night.
I downloaded the demo and watched the tutorial videos and it’s fantastic. Immediate purchase.
The sounds do need some post processing, and a lot of the presets aren’t very usable, but with some careful tweaking mostly shortening decays, fattening kicks, removing reverbs you can get some incredible stuff going on.

I’d imagine most people who didn’t fall in love with it initially perhaps didnt love the presets.
It’s very organic sounding in my opinion, and certainly a keeper.

3 Likes

It’s a pretty awesome plug. You can drag to midi and sample replace the kicks snares and hats and keep the percussion. In my experience that can be a solid way to work.

I consider it to be a compliment to hardware or drum rack programming.

1 Like