Swing factor: is it the same on every gear?

On OT too. On AR too iirc.

2 Likes

Yes, they all have swing trigs, but unlike A4 and AR, OT has per track swing. On the Analogs you’d have to delete all swing trigs on the tracks that you don’t want to have swing.

2 Likes

Let go of perfectionism. In my experience rhythms groove even more if you use different swing settings on each track. A tight funky band also never plays totally in sync.

2 Likes

I take care of all my swing on the DT with unquantised recording and microtiming, don’t like pre defined groove much.

3 Likes

I now have an image of you as Mr T, hunched over a digitakt (chains clanging all over the shop) pointing your finger at it and shouting, “ain’t no robot gonna tell me how to swing my beats”.

As ever, I’m Hannibal.

MFB rhythm boxes swing like nothing else, this I feel.

2 Likes

I wish microtiming would even be more micro on the Digi’s.

1 Like

1/24th per step resolution on all Elektrons afaik (96 PPQ).

The settings are relative to the box and any shared machine code, not absolute between manufacturers.

It all depends on how swing behavior is coded for each processor, “60%” is not going to be exactly the same on each.

Double the bpm and double pattern speed and use 256 steps to create a 16 step pattern. Probably don’t need microtiming but can add another micromicro shift on the enhanced resolution you created by 2x doubling speed. Copy and paste to pattern 2, 3 and 4. Loop those in song mode and record. Play song with end stop and resample and go back to normal settings to loop the sample.

2 Likes

Yes, that works. But having more microsteps with normal tempo would be easier. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Uh…yeah but whom is appreciating the easy things with no hassle these days😂

2 Likes

Nobody’s arguing there! The choice to unblock with useful kludges or agonize over the workflow we’re stuck on is up to any of us though :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I worked with an Atari ST and Akai S2000 so i know how to produce the hard way and finding workarounds. :slight_smile: But i still would be very happy if Elektron could put more microsteps into the sequencer. Which they probably can’t on the existing devices.

2 Likes

If this can’t be implemented as limitation due to resolution i wonder if it could be implement in their samplers if they add a option to insert a few msec silence before and after a sample (undoable/only saved in project) and a envelope trigger nudge so the startpoint becomes a nudge control. This way you could fine tune the existing microtiming by plocking the start point and even move it over time by a LFO .
Not exactly the same but quite easy to implement in a workflow. This is also a sort of possible by resampling but you end up with a lot of duplicates and a +drive mess.

1 Like

Midi clock is not rocket science. It is just ticks (hex value of 0xF8 at a serial port) sent at the rate of 24 pulses per quarter note, not information about tempo or anything. Slave machines are supposed to advance their sequencers blindly according to these ticks. So if you modify the position of these, all synced machines will advance their sequencers with the same swing/shuffle, whatever the master clock gives.

1 Like

So…with all this swing talk, I’ve got a question.

Swing starts at 50 and goes to [whatever]. Seems to sound fine around 53, 54, but after that, when I’m trying to implement it, it just sounds like shit.

It’s there, and lots of people obviously use it. With that, that means I have no freakin idea how to use swing.

And tips on better understanding swing?

[I’ve also got the same issue with dotted, triplet is fine. Probably the fact that I’m not a musician and don’t properly know how to best use these methods]

adding: does anyone know why it starts at 50 and not 0 as there is no swing at 50?

1 Like

Look at the icon with the 3 notes. The one in the middle is 50% between first and third. Your moving every second note towards the third starting
From 50% of the first note.

1 Like

Not sure how it works on different devices, but when it comes to rhythm you can also swing the 8th note, anything that is not a downbeat can be swung, and even the 1/4 notes can be swung for some…really the only hit that should land on time to not be considered early/late is the 1 …it’s mostly about feel really, hard rules fall apart when you look at the reality of it. It’s still important though, as Tuff Lion said, if it aint got swing it aint a thing. :slight_smile:

2 Likes