Syntakt or Not Syntakt

I thought it would be a nice little replacement for my Rytm, because the pads on the Rytm suck anyway.
But to my surprise I found that the workflow doesn’t make sense to me without Kits.
Not because I‘m using preset packs, to the contrary.
But I need those kits to manage variations of sounds.

1 Like

Wow , I didn’t thought it would reach the 100 replies! Lov this community BUT long sold the ST and just recently got triggered again by it…then Roland released the SH 4D… boys I love the sound of it especially the Ring OSC ( so Syntakty ) and Cross FM… not to mention the sound palette… I will be back on ST but definitely second hand… AFAIK is too pricey for me now

1 Like

Th 4d was something I thought about getting to replace my syntakt but is there a similar amount of control with machines? They do seem similar in a way

The Syntakt was my first Elektron box and is the box I start almost all my music on.

I use the Syntakt primarily as the rhythm section and pair it with Ableton Live through Overbridge. I have a dedicated template for fast working. For the melodic parts, I sequence them with Syntakt midi tracks or use Ableton Live clips (a Push2 makes this tactile). Melodic parts may come from the Syntakt or other software and hardware synths.

I think people who own other Elektron products - particularly the Digitakt - are less likely to stick with the Syntakt. Digitakt users are used to working with post-processed, highly polished samples. Syntakt produces sounds that generally need post-processing to shine. That can make it feel unsatisfying if you don’t adjust your workflow for it.

I know this is an old thread, but I vote Syntakt. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I don’t necessarily agree on DT users working with highly polished samples. A DT gives the user way better sound shaping capabilities out-of-the box whereas I feel the ST constrains its users too much within a certain spectrum. I strongly agree on the post-processing part of your post, but that is something I personally wouldn’t want to get a ST for. I could do with a softsynth, a DAW and a Midi controller. Or use NI Machine’s drum synth etc etc…

3 Likes

I only just got it really so i’m digging throught it but so far Iìm pleased about the amount of control of the machines not necessarely a complex do and the Matrix is indeed useful, overall having a good sculpting time with it

1 Like