Synth trolley hacks (small apartment with kids)

I keep my dogs in my studio room during the days, and my younger dog once chewed up my headphones out of boredom. So a friend of mine made me two big pedal cases that I can fit a pretty good setup in, but only just. It’s a bit frustrating, having to set up every time I want to try something different but I guess it can’t be helped.

1 Like

At the moment, mental formations of a keyboard stand / pedal board combo are coming together (in the absence of a classy writers bureau). Though I still like the idea of something with wheels (maybe a pedal board on top of a trolley). We’'ll see…

Hello Dava,
Here’s something i built, base box is an Ikea “Besta” (60x40x38 cm) (20 euros), with 4 heavy duty wheels off of Amazon (i bought some that were 10-15 cm high)(20 euros).
Then inside i put some rails that can extend full length and support up to 30 kilos (2x 10 euros).

That gives me space for a Minilogue XD on one plater, and on the second plater a Digitakt + Launchkontrol XL.
On the bottom, a sound card, behind it a 7 plugs power adapter + 7 plugs powered usb hub. Then bought a 2 meters usb lead so that i can use this with either my laptop or iPad.
On top of it a B. Pro1 and Beatstep pro + Zoom MS 70, and in the near future i’ll add a B. K2 and a nice stand to have both top synths at a nice angle.

You could probably add a door to that setup and put a lock on it, if you have no synth on the top i believe that would be child-proof.

The height of that box allows me to use it sitting on the edge of the sofa, or on a small stool.

4 Likes

That’s amazing!

Did you buy / cut shelves to sit on the rails?

Was it easy to attach the wheels to the base?

Context: I fall somewhere in between being a handyman and not-such-a-handyman (I can turn my hand to stuff around the house, but only when needed).

2 Likes

Oh man, that looks great! I have to look into building something like that, would be awesome to have all my gear hooked up at the same time. Maybe two of those would be enough.

1 Like

What about a keyboard hard case?
An SKB in the 61 note size may fit all your gear. Open for instant satisfaction.
Slides under the bed, sits on the bed, cot, table, ironing board…

1 Like

Same skill level for me :smiley:
The wheels are simply screwed to the base using wood screws with spacers.
The wood i had it cut to size at a local shop.

Overall it was quite a simple build, took me longer to research the wheels and rails than to build it.
I also had the wood cut only once the cabinet was built and the rails in place, so as to figure out the correct dimensions to cut.

Also Ikea has another Besta that has twice the width (120 cm) with a divider in the middle if you need so have something wider.

The biggest limitation is the size of the stuff you would want inside and the ergonomics are not for everyone.
The day that i don’t have to work from home i’ll move my stuff to the desk and keep this as a reduced living room setup i think.

1 Like

:clap:t2: