Talk me out of moving most of my setup to eurorack

agree the Disting even the newer EX has terrible user interface. Mob of Emus sucks too for the interface design. I like Eloquencer and Black Sequencer they are very nice tools in eurorack.

haha well I started off with a Doepfer A100 Basic system that was good intro to modular for me but then I dove too deep. But this year I have not bought any modules. I have more than enough to play with, patch and create stuff. Same for other gears.

1 Like

When troubleshooting through some patching issues, I must have scrolled past Oscilloscope 3 times.

Thats thr problem with the Swiss Army knife module, I suppose.

I recently got an actual Swiss Army knife and I pull out all the components twice before finding the effing scissors.

For a smaller modular setup its probably less annoying given the environment feels more focused

1 Like

agree and I like Data better for a dual oscilloscope function. i do like the effects on the disting.

1 Like

I think this suggestion from @craig is the most reasonable way for me to dip my toe in the euroack waters.

I already own the Zoia Euroburo, which I have been using exclusively for audio mangling, but should be a great modulation source in combination with the Moogs. I also happen to have an extra Moog two-tier rack that works with their 60hp cases.

So I’m leaning towards the following first 60hp setup as a bridge between my line-level gear and my current Moog semi-modular setup or a possible future eurorack system:

• Moog 60hp powered case
  • ZEBU (already own)
  • Joranalogue Receiver 2
  • Alm Mega-Tang mixer
  • Befaco Out V3

I figure that if I find that I’m actually committed to using this system as part of my regular music making I can add another 60hp down the road or slowly convert to large cases if really stick with it.

3 Likes

This is why I always look askance at this metaphor. I’ve had one for forty years and I almost never use it. I use the fold-out scissors, because it’s hard to find small solid sharp scissors. For everything else, I have a better version, and it’s too heavy to carry while hiking just on the off-chance that I’ll need to cut or pry at something. So a Swiss Army knife module… forget it.

3 Likes

I would advise only to buy a semi modular at first.
Modular no. Been there.

Important lessons learned. Most important is that you won‘t learn anything from youtube videos. You need the module and the interaction with the other modules you have have. Spend hours watching and watching. But it doesn‘t suffice. You need the time, the money, the place for the stuff. Getting it all work together. Hassle.

If you like never ending gas changing modules constantly because there will always be something better available than what you have go for it. Modular is great and has a never ending range of amazing and interesting modules that gives millions of combinations to meet any demand but that ending up being a negative for me.

I still lust after certain modules that I’ll never afford. I’m out but am I ever really out?

Exactly what I did.
Kept OT Mk2, Analog Heat Mk2.
Rest is modular.
I am not going to be of any use on this one :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

I got a M32 and DFAM to go along with some elektron stuff (dfam has that unique sound, m32 translates midi, controls and adds a third saw osc, and the sub37 is too big to just casually bring anywhere), and I absolutely fell in love. Had a whole rack planned out to make the most of these two voices - but the more I dove into the idea while planning on modulargrid, and the closer I got to purchasing a case…

I realized I would make even less music than I am now because I would obsess over the hardware too much. I spent hours just browsing and building modular legos on a screen…Now don’t get me wrong for some people this works really well but I’d be too distracted, even if modular is the most fun I’ve ever had with synths. I pull out any combo of the two when I need that fix now.

3 Likes

I know this is a common addiction, but it didn’t happen to me. I use MG as a research tool and for documentation. If I am contemplating a purchase, I don’t need to add it to a fantasy rack to see if it fits (that’s just simple arithmetic) or what it looks like. I did (and do) spend a lot of time combing through the archives of the MW forum to see what people thought of this module or that, and what they sounded like in combination with others.

2 Likes

It wasn’t to see what it looked like… lol “fantasy rack”

It was to make sure things fit in a way that patch points wouldn’t be rats nest, controls were accessible, and layout was functional. Measure twice and cut once, or in my case at least, never haha

Sorry, “fantasy rack” wasn’t aimed at you. There are a lot of fantasy racks on MG.

In my admittedly limited experience, an MG visualization doesn’t help much in assessing functionality and playability. I have the same problem with those software tools that let you put virtual furniture in a virtual room.

1 Like

my modular advice is: don’t do eurorack. it’s too easy to “one more module” it to death, and there’s too many options and too many used sales that are “deals I can’t pass up, even though I don’t need it!” and the price of such sales are usually juuuuust low enough to “well I can swing just this one…” endlessly. next thing you know, your wife and kids have left, you’re living in mom’s basement, and the house is being foreclosed on. I’ve seen it a hundred times…

go with something like Serge, where you have to buy a full panel (though there are exceptions) if you want to expand. which is like $3-4k. so that should keep you from expanding too quickly or impulse-buying. and with Serge, whenever you think you understand it and have plumbed the depths of it, you find a new way of using a module and it all changes again. or go with Buchla. again, cost of entry and expanding will keep you from doing it too often…

5 Likes

I thought this was a given? :thinking:

You can get this in eurorack too (though it seems to be the exception and not the rule). Every time I reread the Maths cookbook, I find something I haven’t tried yet. I won’t name any other names, but I have probably 8 modules like this.

1 Like

fair. but fwiw, Maths is based on a legendary Serge module…

but anyway… the quoted bit was mostly an aside that Serge is plenty deep to keep you busy and entertained. didn’t mean euro isn’t overall. but tbf most euro is a one trick pony. Serge is more open to “it depends upon how you patch it.”

3 Likes

Very much agree!!

Grab a panel of something.

Loudest Warning
STS
Random Source

That panel will keep you learning for pretty much ever. It will also teach you to do more with less, and what you definitely want more of or gaps to fill, and you’ll do it carefully.

I had just a single Serge Creature M Panel for a bit, and even that was pretty amazing on its own.

Worth looking into at the very least!

4 Likes

I should say that there are many amazing things in Euro format. But that’s the thing. There are too many amazing things there.

The best Euro setups IMO are single (or close to) brand systems. Where everything is known to work PERFECTLY, within its own context.

Grabbing one of everything generally ends in disappointment.

If money is a side consideration, going with something like a Serge format type of panel or system gives you a finite, but still almost infinite set of possibilities. Kinda funny to read, but once you try it, you’ll see how that makes more sense. It’s bigger, yet constrained, while at the same time being more flexible with less “module” count.

This would be a perfect place to start and end.

And while you explore that, you might start thinking of a small concise, concept Euro system based on your experiences that might offset what you have as an instrument.

IMO (and it really just is my opinion) keeping smaller separate systems put together for a focused purpose goes a long way with modular. Some people can deal with “Euro-Wall” but more often than not it all ends up in Buy/Sell/Trade.

The above could be changed to Buchla, or a certain number of other semi-enclosed modular ecosystems and formats. Even within Euro if a LOT of care is given.

7 Likes

It might be interesting to build a pure Doepfer system - but last I checked most of the modules aren’t in production (?).

3 Likes