TD-3 or TT-bass bot?

Got here a TT303mk2, Syntecno Teebee mk1, MB33 mk2 and Behri TD3. My fave the TT Bass Bot by far. Sequencer tricks are modern enough and it has a deeper, darker, fuller sound. Looks cheesy from a distance but is actually well built. MB33 mk2 does some pretty cool stuff with the sub osc and pulse width adjustment but requires a sequencer. Behringer is fine for what it is, but the cheap feeling just doesn’t go away. My Syntecno (bought as is) just makes broken fart noises. Tried switching out problematic ICs and power related transistors but no luck so far.

2 Likes

Yeah, that works. The slides just makes the notes overlap, so if the recieving synth is set to legato glide, it will work.

1 Like

No-one is talking about the xoxbox (which can be fitted with an original vca). I have one, it’s ace! There are also spendier options, with the re303, and Avalon bassline.

I know there’s a pot for the frequency range of the filter :slight_smile: But is there also one for the resonance? Because one problem for me with TD-3 is this annoying whistling sound, when turning up the res. And it’s not like it’s set higher compared to other clones like TT-303. On the mk2 you could even set the res higher if you wanted (But should introduce the whistle, I’ve heard). Often I find the max position of the initial setting to be a little too high, which is also cool, because then I have that bit if I feel like I need it.
Of course resonance isn’t the only thing making the squelch. It’s together with the ‘Env Mod’ that it happens. And the envelopes on TT and TD seems slightly different. It’s like the Behringer is slightly more snappy, which I think could be one of the reasons why some prefer its sound over TT-303’s. Also, could the slopes be slightly different maybe? Like TD-3 being slightly more steep?

Just listened back to this comparison. Now I don’t recall the sound difference between mk1 and mk2 of TT being that significant, so I still think this is valid:

Definetly prefer the punchyness of the Behringer. Whearas I prefer the more open squelch and funky freedom of the Cyclone. I could see someone having both. One for the punchy bass layer and one for the funky lead on top. But of course you could adjust both to be either more bassy or more open. Though as I recall, in TD’s initial state it doesn’t close the filter as low as an original TB. But can’t remember if TT does. TD has more punch which is better for more controlled bass.

Honestly I feel like if I should maybe trade in the Bassbot and use the money together with the money that I’ll get from my Mono Lancet and buy a DFAM. Had one in the past and I’m planning on getting one again. Because the next couple of paydays, I’ll not get enough money for equipment, but after that I will, and then I can buy a TT-303 again. OR get a TD-3 for its more punchy sound, longer knobs and better look (Because that’s actually also important for the creative process in terms of vibe and feel). BUT the sequencer seems tedious and not as vibey and organic as on the TT. So I would probably just use the randomize, because I can’t be bothered :joy:
But to be honest, Id probably use a TB clone for its squelch and not bass. For bass I would go to the AR and do subby low tom’ish basses, so I just want the acid line to sit and dance on top. Plus a DFAM is also very good at subby punchy basses :man_shrugging: and as an instrument the TT has a cooler and more organic vibe than a somewhat stale 1:1 clone by Behringer. That big logo on the front is a serious vibe killer! But I would just put a lemon sticker over it :lemon: :yum:

There are two trimmers, cutoff range and resonance.

I posted a pic of the pcb here.

Yeah, I know. But he was talking about the pots in TD-3 wasn’t he?

Uh, right^^ Sorry, I read TT instead of TD…

1 Like

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Btw I just made a return for the TT-303. Not that I didn’t like it. But I’m selling my Mono Lancet and want to get a DFAM again as my main mono synth. It’s also good for bass and lead. So I need money for that and will probably use it more than an acid synth. After that I need to get An Opsix. That’ll be my main 3 instruments. AR mk1, DFAM and Op6. Then at a later point I can get my secondary instruments, that’ll mainly be used as supplements. Digitakt (for sampling and resampling), TT-303/TD-3 and Reface CP.

But now that I’ve tried both TT and TD, I know the pros and cons of each. So in future I have to choose the machine that has the pros that are most important to me :blush:

Sounds like the TD-3 sequence is too staccato, also the release is too short, whistle-y resonance too, do they all sound like that? Maybe the trimmers need tweaking.

1 Like

When my friend was over with his TT-303 i didnt notice that big of a difference in the resonance between his and my TD-3. But we never compared them. They do sound a little bit difference, but both sounds good.

I dont remember all the trimmes in the TD, but it did adjust the filter trimmer as it was too high from factory. Adjusted it so it was equal to my TB-03. Seemed like a good enough setting.

My TB-03 sounded boring when directly compared to both TD-3 and TT-303. Sounded ok if i pushed the inputs on my mixer, and where a bit heavy on the eq. But the TD and TT just sounded better. At least with resonance.

I didn’t find this at all tbh. Though the main reasons why I prefer the TB-03 are the effects and extended octave range (especially when it goes even more extreme using the second random mode).

I was very happy with my TB-03 untill my buddy with the TT-303 came over. And then the TB-03 sounded “boring” in comparison. But it is one of those things that are hard to quantify what the real difference is. Like comparing a softsynth with the vintage counterpart. When you have both in front of you the difference is substantial. But in a mix only the guys with a special interrest would be able to pick them out.

The TB-03 sounded really good as a bass synth without any resonance. It had a nice and good low end. Just as a basic saw through filter type bass.

I also liked the TB-03 sequencer. But the accent behaviour was the deciding factor that made me sell it.

1 Like

Hello,

I am very new to all of this and I have a humble setup of just the DT and DN (plus Keystep 37) which I love, I don’t won’t too add to much more, but I love the old Acid TB 303 sound and I was looking at the TT-303 and TD-3. The TD-3 is so much cheaper and I’m not sure why, but does anyone use 1 of these with a similar setup?

I’m only just learning Midi, but maybe one is better connecting to a similar setup than the other. I’d love to run one of these and use the effects from the DN or DT too.

Any advise would be great.

Thanks

Hi G0nz0 ,I haven’t used the TD but was so glad I landed a TT instead. The internal sequencer is so much better and can be jammed and transposed live, making it well more interactive live.

1 Like

It depends on how you want to sequence them. If you want to sequence using MIDI from your Digitakt, go for the Behringer since the extra features on the Bass Bot won’t matter.

If you want to use the built in sequencers, the TD-3 has to be programmed in the classic 303 style, where you have to stop the sequencer and punch in the notes and slide/accent modifiers one by one. You’re also limited to 16 steps per pattern. The Bass Bot has a much more comprehensive sequencer that allows for live recording, pattern generation and mutation, 64 step patterns, extra modifiers and a bunch of other extras.

3 Likes

TD-3 is the punk rock, 100 dollar used wobbly techno thingamajig

1 Like

I’ve just got a MAM MB33, which doesn’t have a sequencer, I sequence it with the Digitakt as I love that sequencer. To me it sounds very close to a 303, it’s a tiny and simple synths, the audio connected to the Digitakt’s inputs…

Something to consider. Here, I love it!

2 Likes

I’d have to look that one up, I love teh DT’s sequencer too, can you apply DTs triggers to each step?