Techniques that everyone loves but meh you out?

You wouldn’t like my music :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ha! More a comment on my lack of compositional acumen than a genuine criticism. One condemns most in others what one hates most about oneself.

3 Likes

Ohh, I see! Yeah, b sections are overrated :unamused:

1 Like

How would you know though if that person possesses such knowledge?

feel like for most artists I listen to it’s not super evident, but I really dislike people like Jacob Collier or Andrew Huang who make it a point to overly embellish songs with obtuse time signatures and spastic key changes. I’m realizing now that I primarily think of these two as youtube personalities/content creators, so maybe that wasn’t a great example, but hopefully you catch my drift

9 Likes

I once left the plastic on a screen for a couple of years and it perished and couldn’t be removed properly. Never again.

8 Likes

Pentatonic scale. Easy cop-out when feeling tired or lazy.

EQing in daw and most of all - scanning freq spectrum for resonances.

Multiband compression on whole mix.

2 Likes

This thread cracks me up^^ :joy:

Hehe, yeah…^^

Noooooo!! :astonished:

Besides that, I pretty much agree with the first post here. :wink:

3 Likes

Producing Whole tracks that are being arranged just by puzzling existing downloaded 32 bar loops from a folder that simply contained sorted key bass, kick, hats, topa, strings and chords.

11 Likes

-I don’t get people who are into supersaws, maybe I am just a few years too young. Instantly turn me off.

-Lo-Fi/tape/record surface noise emulators…way overused. Nothing wrong with tapes or records though.

-People who use a midi chord progression/melody “pack” or program, I find this the height of cynical music production. If it’s for a job or just for the money than go for it I suppose.

-I’ll disagree with some people here and say I like people who know their music theory stuff and their synth stuff. Jacob Collier and Andrew Huang are just doing it for the thrill though, I don’t think they’re the (anywhere near) the peak of musicality and don’t like their songs. I think it’s only a matter of time before Collier gets in to modular, seems like the next logical step for him.

2 Likes

Alan Watts samples

20 Likes

15 minute long breakdowns with monologues about how much someone loves house music

22 Likes

Uh, that’s just nasty…

3 Likes

I hate overproduced music. It‘s not authentic.

8 Likes

Oh no… I like most of this dumb stuff for assorted reasons. :sweat_smile:

12 Likes

This has become my personal scanning/listening procedure for new stuff. It’s astonishing how often every jump to 5 or 20 seconds later of the piece seems to be nearly the same phrase again. If there is variation, I go back to the start and enjoy the complete track, otherwise I skip it totally. Is this arrogance :thinking:

7 Likes

Maybe also a technique … to create “virtual” new genres … by doing much of the old stuff but exchange this or that sound … and call it a “genre” … :smirk:

3 Likes

Heck yeah. Let that kick cut right through the center. The keystone.

1 Like

This or … “only modular”

Seems sometimes to be more of an idiology rather than an artistic consideration :wink:

7 Likes

White noise as an effect. Such as all those white noise builds that were all over the place.

Having people who should not be singing but do because for some God forsaken reason it became a trend. Its become a terrible plague on hip hop productions theses days.

Cheez ball RnB vocals over “hard beats” so that it appeals to ze masses.

5 Likes

Production techniques that make me go meh.
Random lists of things I dont like.

Not the same thing.

8 Likes