Teenage Engineering OP-Z

I’m guessing analog machines components might not fit inside such a small box, and OT needs a screen.

If you mean how long a note is, it does! Hold down the step and it lights up in blue how long the note lasts.

Maybe you mean something different tho.

Allegedly a demo of the alleged “drone mode”

2 Likes

I meant that feature would be nice on elektron gear.
It’s on one of the pocket operators I just can’t remeber which…sampler I think…

1 Like

:smile:

A wise decision ;D

Heck you’re so right. Imagine if eg a red trig lit the following trigs in dimmer red, to show the length … that’d be rad. I wonder if it is already a feature request…

Demos of this drone mode are scarce. I shared what I found.

1 Like

This is the kind of thing I want to hear! Awesome. No clue what it’s doing, mind you…

Oh, dude. This is the one.

1 Like

Very true. A sort “eye of the beholder thing”. Well, ear not eye!

That ambient track you posted was very impressive.

1 Like

Oh for sure. I 100% don’t need this, even for portable music making (nanoloop2 will always be bae for this). But god damn, I sure want it.

1 Like

Sorry to bring in more negativity but this is really bothering me.

October 1: across the Atlantic back and forth 4 times (either 24h or 48h depending on interpretation)

October 26: 6 hours battery life

Incredibly sneaky IMO. Also consider that none of the beta testers (including @cuckoomusic) ever mentioned battery life even though they certainly must have known before October that this thing was only going to ship with a 6 hour battery.

2 Likes

Yeah I’m sure they projected to have the same battery time as the OP-1, but ended up not meeting those projected claims/ goals.

The battery is 740mAh if I remember correctly. And it charges super fast. It’s like an old mobile battery from the nineties :slight_smile:

During the beta phase we didn’t have good quality batteries, so it was not a good idea to test the batteries then. But now the finished batteries are out, and they perform better than in beta. They charge much much faster, and perhaps last a little longer.

I think 6 hours is a good estimate. Feels close to what I’d say. Perhaps it lasts one or two hours more, depending on what you’re doing. I haven’t timed it under different circumstances though.

The OP-1 still has an astonishingly long battery life. Running 4 audio tracks and one instrument is less demanding I guess, than running 8 poly tracks in real time, with individual filters, lots of sequencing and Bluetooth stuff.

It charges fast though. The battery is just 740mAh, so any regular power bank will charge it many times over when getting onto that flight to Australia.

9 Likes

Really strange decision from TE to go with a battery that small. It’s over four times smaller than what mobile phones have these days. I can only assume it is to cut costs which feels disappointing for a $599 screenless device - especially since they advertised that the battery life would be something like 24-48 hours which feels like a blatant lie at this point.

Speaking of which, when’s the Australia tour? :smiley:

4 Likes

Sorry to imply that you withheld information, I’m sure it was out of your hands. It’s just hard to come to terms with such a large disparity between what was promised and what was shipped!

1 Like

I’m digging the z’s vibes I must say. Still think going with such a small screenless device was a mistake. the small battery adding to that view.

That being said, I really like its approach to sequencing, amongst other things.

1 Like

Well it was just beta/pre release info…it’s not like they said it would have overbridge 2 or anything :wink:

I’m used to my elektron sequencers not having any portability at all unless you add a big external battery pack…given this is possibly an even more advanced sequencer (sort of like a portable Digitakt and Digitone combined) I can live with 6 hours of wire free freedom.

Let’s be honest, there are few places (including on planes) where you won’t find a USB charging point, and the smaller battery dies lead to a ridiculously fast charge time, so glass half full…

Clearly not a regular ScotRail commuter! :smile:

5 Likes

It’s really not as hard as you imagine :slight_smile: colourblindness aside (I am not colourblind) - I’m not sure what provisions they’ve made for that.