The analog Mixer thread - have a favorite?

Yeah I love the Mk1 and Mk2 MW’s. I think they are the best purchase on the used market if you have the space and it’s in good shape. The EQ is really nice, the mixer is super versatile and easy to use as well.

1 Like

I’ve got one of those still made in England. No idea what that actually amounts to but I think it’s kinda cool to have the last type that was made there before moved overseas

1 Like

I’ll try my best. I have a simple setup.

I have the inputs, Buss B, and Main outs into the patch bay.

I can quickly route 3/4 or 5/6 inputs into 1/2 pre-amps/comp/EQ. Also quick way to plug instruments into 1/2 channels.

Buss B ports out to whatever sampler of the day. Main outs into my field recorder or sampler.

With the patch bay I don’t have to constantly rearrange the mixer, works awesome.

1 Like

I bought a Xone 464 club/dj mixer long ago, they are kind of rare but i dont think anyone has any hype for them so you can probably find some cheap ones. the functionality is amazing. 4 mono channels with parametric eq, 7 stereo channels , 2 multimode VCFs with resonances control (sound amazing), and 6 aux channels. perfect companion for livesets. allen-heath-xone2-464-desktop-rack-mount-professional-club-mixer-12

6 Likes

I’ve come close to buying on of these many times.
I’m still considering it.

1 Like

quite expensive, anyway i use the SPL Mixdream XP :rofl:

1 Like

Do your recordings sound more 3D when you run it through that mixer ? I have an SSL X desk and definitely get a more 3D sound even if I’m leveling tracks.

1 Like

I don’t know if i have the right expression for it but yeah it sounds clean in an awesome way but for a 3D effect you described i think there is other gear responsible although it sounds very defined and well placed.
after the XP i have a plethora of gear and this makes it maybe more 3D via subtle non-linearities [XP->Elysia Karacter -> XFilter -> Xpressor].
as a whole i found the reverb of both Elektrons AR+A4 thru the XP+chain upgraded soundwise but this could also be a biased impression

Expensive gear makes sense

2 Likes

I’ve got an A&H GL2400-32, and do really like it, apart from the noisy fan! It is way ahead in terms of sound and build quality from my last mixer, the Yamaha MGP32x. Lately though, I’ve been seriously considering moving to a digital solution - an A&H Qu series. The only thing I think I’m going to miss is when I jam live and want to EQ in a DJ style.

Has anyone else transitioned in a similar way from analog to digital, and did you regret it in any way?