The Big Elektronauts Hip-Hop Thread: production tips, sharing our music, feedback and inspiration

thanks, yo. i’ve totally used the ghost kick technique or even just layered a nice fat one under an existing kick before. apparently, i forgot about that one…

1 Like

Not sure if they mention the specific technique in the article but here’s an interview with them, might have useful stuff in Artist Tips: Letherette

2 Likes

One way I found that make it easier to get that sound is by lowering your track volumes and then using more gain than usual to push the tracks backup, that way when the kick hits it really creates a dramatic reduction in sound. I’ve layered in some noise to give the track some air to really make the sound reduction noticable too, on the OT I usually just setup a thru track with an unused input and then with a filter effect with maxed out gain and selective filtering to shape some hiss, works well with the above compressor trick.

The track linked below has the above, honestly overdone imo, I lowered sample tracks levels to about 15 to 20, then compressor gain to bring them up to correct levels, then brought the kick up from zero until it starts tripping the compressor and creates a nice breathing effect, you should end up with the kick on a higher overall level but the compressor will be pushing its volume down. Tons easier with a side chain though, but still an interesting way to feel like you have a lazy/drunk engineer riding the levels.

2 Likes

Maybe something like TrackSpacer from Wavesfactory? I’ve used it quite a bit.

1 Like

interesting… will put it on my list for another day, as i’m not buying anything new for awhile. seems like it would also be possible to do with plugins i already have, like automating gain and such.

then there are plugins like this one that claim to give you “that sound.” personally, i’m not a fan of how it colors and shapes drums. in moderation, maybe it’s fine. i just don’t want all my stuff sounding like that. plus, you can do the same with distortion, saturation, and compression.

Something I’ve been messing around with tonight on the couch, not mixed or mastered yet, straight out of beatmaker

4 Likes

Yeah, I’m sure you’ll be able to do it. I’d put TrackSpacer up there as more of a time saving plugin.

So yeah following on from the snippet I posted yesterday here’s an updated version with a better mix and some light mastering also added an acapella of mr. slow flow by evidence of dilated peoples…

4 Likes

ooo… that’s smooth. mix is way better, and the vocals are just right. dope!

1 Like

here’s a quick one from yesterday that i’ll probably mess with later when i have a minute.

addictive drums + repro-1 bass + astrud gilberto slices + processing

2 Likes

Thanks man much appreciated, could probably do with more spit and polish but time is the enemy :sweat_smile: it’s amazing how much better results you can get with just the stock Ableton audio effects too, I only ever user the full mastering chain device.

1 Like

hey, it’s a good start. i don’t obsess over my tracks, though maybe they’d be better if i did. usually just get them to a point where it feels good, upload, and move on. once in awhile, i’ll go back to tweak. if i had any higher aspirations, it would make sense to really dial tracks, but this is just for fun. it’s a bonus if even one other person likes anything i’ve created. sometimes i’ll even like my own tracks.

i keep coming back to this one from jamuary. i played in the drums and bass really loosely and really wasn’t sure they’d work. it has this off kilter quality to it coupled with the sample chops. maybe my one banger of a track…

2 Likes

Yeah I hear you, I was starting to get a bit grumpy with the vocal and lining at all up but after a half hour of fiddling with it I was just like f@#k it and walked away, I should really sit down and learn warping inside out but like I said time is at premium…

I like your stuff mate, I’ve never been able to grasp the lo-fi chops thing myself even after trying it more than a few times so kudos for getting it down, I make as many beats as I have time to and most of mine aren’t bangers either, most a are half realised ideas that never see the light of day but like you say it’s fun trying new techniques and refining existing ones…

1 Like

totally… i dig your stuff, too. keep it up! it’s tough seeing people get stressed about music making and hearing about the process becoming no fun. take the time when you have it.

1 Like

Benny the Butcher on Kenny Beats.

This is the tune from the Griselda crew that resurrected the old NYC sound for me though. The video makes me nostalgic for my NYC days in the 90s.

2 Likes

And speaking of @Lord_Beatjitzu, the SP master, not sure if people caught this joint of his. Great 90s vibes. Love the video.

“Give me that damn weed/
Before you catch a few from this hand speed”

Brilliant.

@Sleepynumb

6 Likes

Wow, just wow.

3 Likes

Snoop’s voice still holds up. This also makes me want new Kendrick. It’s been a while!

Also… Dre owning the fake knob twiddling during Eminem :smiley:

1 Like

Hey man! Well, I’ve been through some really shitty times but it’s getting better with each day. Little to no music done during these months of pure hell, but I’ve been back on tracks lately.

… for more synthbappy stuff.

… but can’t resist going all sampley for too long.

Edit : aw shit, still can’t embed insta stuff properly here. Oh well, peeps who wanna listen have the links at least.

4 Likes