The Big Elektronauts Hip-Hop Thread: production tips, sharing our music, feedback and inspiration

This was going to be my submission for the current battle, but now that we have an extension, I’ll try something else. I got lazy trimming samples on the phone and ended up with this.

My monitors for this recording:

Phone, BT, TV🫣

4 Likes

That’s nice man, real hypnotic vibe… Looking forward to hearing your battle submission :+1:

1 Like

Thanks. I’m looking forward to hearing what everyone does with this sample set. The FedEx man is dropping some new mystery machine as I write. Maybe it’ll make it on to my submission:).

1 Like

@atlaspark very dope! The lofi sound gives it kind of a melancholic soundtrack feel, and the sax is killing.

@rockpapergoat Really like this one, this would be great as a track on any (old or modern) rap album. There’s not too many frills but the foundation is really solid.

@Kpucski Damn now I’m intimidated by what you’ll submit for the actual battle. Love the drums/percussion, very original.

4 Likes

Now if we all forget/agree to disagree about the whole techno thing for a sec, @elek-trick was also saying he thinks this is a very interesting and refreshing thread which I think we can all agree on!

Keep em coming guys! Visiting this thread often inspires me to make new stuff myself.

On that note: I’ve been trying to get some more percussive elements into my beats by recording weird sounds with my mic into my sampler. Right now I often chop what I recorded into pieces and sequence that, but I noticed that I often get similar (boring) results… Do any of you do this? any advice/cool ideas on making it more interesting? Should I try to record full loops? Any ideas on cool sound sources or fx to use?

2 Likes

Not as often as I should, but I love the results when I do. I prefer to record them as small loops and then I adjust the loop points until I find a nice rhythm. Adjusting the pitch and reversing can also be interesting to experiment with.

Sources: spoons, wine glasses, bottles, little magnets sticking together, coins spinning on a table

FX: anything that sounds interesting, freeze delays are one of my go-to’s

2 Likes

Dope! I’ll try recording some longer loops, and mess around with them till it sounds like something. I guess they don’t have to be perfectly timed when I record them if I’m gonna mess them up with fx anyway, that helps haha.

Just wondering has anyone here taken this course from rjd2? Any feedback on it?

2 Likes

thanks for sharing. Really tempting

Did this one yesterday, recorded straight from the usb out into my phone. Beat is all AR.

12 Likes

smooth :sunglasses: :fire:

2 Likes

Thanks man!

I figured y’all might like this. Since I’ve been tinkering with my Sampletrak I decided to go back through some old projects. I’ve only made a handful of full beats with just the Sampletrak’s sequencer. This is one of them:

12 Likes

Damn this sounds good!
Are the drums a loop or sequenced individual hits? I never managed to get the st sequencer to play drums well…

1 Like

Thanks, man.

The main drums are a drum break that’s a slightly chopped up. There’s another break in there that’s a 4 bar loop. And then there’s the Bridge is Over drums on top of that. Those were sequenced as individual hits.

And yeah, I think because of the fact that the Sampletrak doesn’t have a proper pattern sequencer and because there are only 24 pads to work with, loops just work a lot better. I think the best route to go if you want to program drums is to make a 1 bar loop and resample it. Usually I just sequence everything from my Digitakt though.

2 Likes

Super dope stuff as usual Doug, nice work…

1 Like

Thanks for the explanation, the drums sound great! I also often sequence it from the AR, but I’d love to master the sampletrak as a machine by itself.

Have you ever seen this one? I don’t know the guy who did these personally, but it’s all sampletrak and I’m amazed by the quality:

3 Likes

Wow! I never saw this and the last few weeks I’ve been trying to find as much Sampletrak content as I can find. Completely missed this. This guy is fantastic.

I wonder if he tracked this out or if it’s just a lot of resampling to get that sound. Either way, that would take some patience.

And thanks, @Symian

1 Like

Haha I once found the video by accident while looking for sampletrak beats on youtube. It’s my favorite sounding sampler ever… now if only it had the Octatrack’s functionality :joy: