The Big Elektronauts Hip-Hop Thread: production tips, sharing our music, feedback and inspiration

Totally with you. I want to try my hand at an old-school sounding synth track soon. I have mostly failed with synths over the years, but really like the Volcas, as they sound 70s lofi and nasty to me in that “shitty is pretty” kind of a way. I may put together something in the SP404 soon.

The SP404MKII really is a dream for me for my desire to work with instruments. It is definitely not without its quirks though. I imagine a lot of people will give up on them at some point though because it’s not easy sacrificing the control you have with other sequencers, especially when coming from the DAW.

Yep. Definitely doing that Volca track soon.

haha… hand percussion is a slippery slope. good luck. also check out kount’s buddy kaelin ellis. there are a bunch of people with crazy chops producing and putting out sample packs these days.

2 Likes

Will do! Yeah, it’s a good thing I can’t accommodate a drum kit where I live or I would have went there long ago. Hand percussion is about all I can accommodate. I do want to add regular percussion lessons locally this year though, just because I love studying music.

One of my best friends and coworkers is kind of musical genius whose main instrument is drums. He’s made me realize over the last couple of decades that rhythm chops are the key to making any instrument sound good. It’s why so many guitarists sound like crap, IMO.

1 Like

kinda follow this ethos, music time is when I don’t question anything cause that gets in the way of the process for me, all other time is for questioning everything lol

4 Likes

:joy:

4 Likes

Little bit of a late reply, but these are fantastic. Especially since I find that I would like to rely less on sampling records and would love to include more of my own stuff (be it synths or sampled instruments).

Off topic: great to see all the activity in this thread. Makes my hip-hop heart beat faster :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Both amazing artists that have inspired me to pick up some hand percussion. I feel like it’s an inevitable path for most beats people after a certain point

2 Likes

I’m not sure of how popular these guys are outside of Seattle but they do classic Meters style tunes. I feel like there are a few future classic breaks in here. They have a new record out next Friday.

2 Likes

those dudes are awesome. i love that old organ trio sound. there were a couple of those throwback 60s soul organ trios that played in the boston area about 20 years ago when i still went out to shows. just good energy…

not organ trio territory, but i tapped into some old soul for this quick one on the couch tonight. it’s darrel banks loops/chops over a deodato drum break with some dirt on top.

11 Likes

Daaaaaaaanggg! This has gotta be my new favorite beat from you! The chops fit just right and the overall sound is perfect. Love that extra snare panned in the left ear. The FX were quite tasteful too. Awesome track mate. :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is fantastic! Nice work. I love the drum freak out at about 1:30. How did you process the drums overall? They sound great. I almost thought I could hear a little phasey ness at the end like two of the same tracks we’re running.

1 Like

This plugin is pretty great for people using DAWs and is really cheap through today. Still active at the moment for me.

3 Likes

Tempting, but NGNY for me :relieved: might commit a minor sin for this one though…

1 Like

Sorry to tempt, but I haven’t seen it that cheap.

1 Like

thanks!

1 Like

are they coming out with a new version or something?

No idea. They don’t update their stuff much. I’d love a new version of Addictive Drums. That’s probably my favorite VST.

Seems I was late

1 Like

Bummer. Sorry about that. I just noticed the email this evening.

1 Like

generous of them considering that at regular price it’s one of the most popular apps

2 Likes