The Cassette thread

This is my friends band, you can hear it all over their albums. Yes it’s one of my favourite instruments in the world.

1 Like

A short talk by Make Noise Head Honcho Tony Rolando about his experiences of tape machines:

2 Likes

Actually, it can be done. I used (1990’s) that sound effect on Bass guitar by putting a boosted level (GE-7B) through a fully wet reverb (RV-2). Nowadays I use the same process within the Prophet~6 and OB~6, and also the OTO Bam can do it by internally boosting level before the reverb circuit.

1 Like

I’ll believe it when I hear it! It’s really the tape that’s hard to replicate. Even plug ins are just too clean and predictable still.

Well no it’s not tape, just something that sounds very similar in pedal form. A happy alternative.
Something I have been interested in for years is the ELI Distressor, which was made with the intention/circuitry to emulate the effect of a tape machines high recording level compressed by tape bandwidth. Unfortunately it’s $$$$$$$$$$

1 Like

I’m sure you are all right and have valid points but I recently picked up a Magneto. After a while I put away the cassette desk. It really does a soothing scratch to a very wanted place. I also put away my TimeLine.

Does any of it replicate tape like tape. Nope!

Nope!

Nope!!! N. N n

The only answer for tape sound is real tape.

4 Likes

All work and no tape makes jack a dull boy

3 Likes

Hello guys ,I’m a newcomer to this forum and wanted to ask you about releasing music these days.Do you release your stuff on cassette tapes or vinyl?Or do you think cassette tapes aren’t popular or it’s just a Whim ?
I’m asking because I’m faced with situation when I’ve composed an album but it’s Very diverse ,some techno ,deep house or jungle vibe and it’s unreal to find a label. Basically they are focussed on one direction .And I found the best way maybe to release it on cassette tapes and put it out through the bandcamp.
What do you think ?

2 Likes

Welcome :wave:

Go for it, but if getting them (cassettes) duplicated don’t get a huge run done, most people do a 30-50 run at the start, you can always do another run if needs be after they all sold.

I have not released on cassette for years but I know a few people who have, and I intend to do another cassette fairly soon. You most likely will just about break even if you sell them all, so temper your expectations.

3 Likes

Yes,I think I’ll start with small quantities and watch what’s going on .

It can be only digital ,but I want to feel the physical form of my music .I was thinking about vinyl ,but it’s too expensive nowadays and the lead time is so long .

1 Like

This guy does DJing with cassettes…never saw this before and thought this may be interesting.

2 Likes

I saw this the other day (somewhere…) - very cool stuff!

Led me to Mr Tape

4 Likes

Vinyl is expensive and the queue for the plant is at least a year. Tapes are fun but have a limited customer base. CD’s are making a comeback but again, have a somewhat limited customer base. Physical media is hard

Rough performance, but indeed very interesting.

I still own and use a Tascam 688. Would never give it away. It sounds very nice, but not like the modern definition of perfect digital good. The mixer and the tape give some lovely saturation.
I also use a normal 2 head tapedeck just for fun and record compilations for a Sharp GF 666 in the Kitchen.

Do members here who sell their releases on cassette include a free pencil with the purchase?

2 Likes

:joy:

I always preferred a plastic ballpoint cap. Then you get a locking spline and can get in some work! Rewind or repair like a m’fer!

3 Likes