The Clone War - Behringer. Good or Bad?

Fair enough

2 Likes

One interesting axis could be the comparison of MIDI implementations, or firmware updates.

And as I stated earlier, a friend of mine got 3 or 4 pots broken in the first months of using his PolyD (while other gear stayed unharmed).
Could be pure bad luck, but then going through support was pretty upsetting, to say the least.

Your mileage may vary, I don’t want everyone to generalize over one experience, even if it did impact my perception of B: to me, they are not cutting costs only on R&D.
Anyway I’d be interested in collecting other people’s experience on such points (aging, external control, support, updates).

2 Likes

As a reliability engineer, I doubt that the inherent reliability of Behringers current products is any less than other companies products.
An issue these days, with all companies, is the cost of quality control and product testing so you get more of what used to be known as the Friday afternoon car.
Gone are the days when you will find a signed “tested by” label on a product.

3 Likes

A lot of the things in this thread that are taken as facts are often just assumptions, generalisations or just plain subjective opinions.
For example, the Kirn-thing was undoubtedly tasteless because mocking a journalist for bad coverage is a really bad style, but was it really an anti-semitic attack? I dont think so, sorry. Calm down!

Same with the build quality. We dont know how many Behringer synths will still work in 2-3 years. It seems that the Deepmind is doing well after being released in 2016 and the dumpster finds are still rare :wink: so there is that. Professional reviewers are always pointing out that the build quality is solid or even great considering the price.
Yet ask a Behringer critic and it seems to be that is a godgiven fact that every Behringer synth is a pile of shit that dies after a week of use.

PS: This might sound like I am a Behringer fanboy or a “shill” because I dont fully condemn everything about this company but I am not. I think their keystep clone crossed a line, yet I will not burn my TD-3 at the stake.

5 Likes

As a German, he should be well aware of these stereotypes even if not “intentional”.

And in 2020, as I have NeoNazis marching in my city, he can fuck off for that caricature.

13 Likes

TBH regardless if it is anti-semitic or not, it is still at least profoundly unprofessional, and speaks volumes.

9 Likes

He copyrighted the dudes freakin last name!
C’mon man.

9 Likes

Please hold me to this. I will never buy Behringer. A year or two I was more or less neutral but the shenanigans seem to never end.

7 Likes

:face_vomiting: this was the absolute worst behavior from a company leader I have ever witnessed first hand and I wish we could stop talking about it. It’s repulsive.

7 Likes

Yeah, sorry. I know there’s little chance of facts swaying that sort of outrage junkie from claiming that people are “too PC” or whatever justification for someone’s exposed Id. It’s worth replying once for the claims to not go unchallenged, but I’m not going to back and forth with the incurious.

We all understand the “Pinocchio” reference, the point is that persons should know better and when they’re attempting to assassinate the character, they leaned into their unconscious and adopted the rest of the aesthetic.

“Intentional” or not is beyond the point, nobody internally stopped them to call out "hey, you probably shouldn’t use the power of your empire to single out one person, and THIS is the “evil liar” design you’re using?

Well beyond the products that rip off of in production designs of smaller corporations I hope Uli stays the fuck offline and quits these Elon Musk calling people who snubbed him pedophiles level creep-fests.

2 Likes

Um… they released a joke video depicting the journalist as a synth snob. Hardly a great insult?

It wasn’t very well executed joke, but to draw nazi card in this instance is kind of insulting to the victims of nazis.

1 Like

Reading and not kneejerk responding sans-context helps with understanding.

2 Likes

No-one drew the nazi card.

Nazis don’t have the monopoly on anti-Semitism, unfortunately.

16 Likes

Behringer - cheap gear and cheap shots, cheap in every sense of the word. As in no class or morals, but hey, cheap. Ok. Pass.

13 Likes

The whole “Cork Sniffer” debacle was a disgrace. There was a certain poetry to the fact that the design of the joke pedal was a rip off too, though.

The swing was the last straw, none of my money is going to that company. (Might keep my behringer patchbay though, it’s all labelled up nicely and everything…)

4 Likes

Uli badly failing at the Two Commandments

Such a bummer. I started down this electronic music rabbit hole a couple years back with a Model D, and I absolutely love it still. So immediate, sounds huge, solidly built, and has been a perfect intro for me to learn subtractive synthesis.

Benn Jordan has long been one of the most thoughtful content creators, and he really nailed it for me on this one.

3 Likes

I won’t buy products from companies that attack journalists.
If you do, that’s cool.
But it’s an abuse of power to put the weight of a giant corporation and their marketing department and point it toward one person who is just doing their job.

It just leaves a sour taste in my mouth, the same leaders who attack the free press do.

If “all companies are bad” then I’ll at least narrow down my spending to the ones that aren’t complete trolls.

Too easy to surmise unless you are the subject of the attacks.

21 Likes

It’s not like the ”journalist” was reporting on political issues of the world or some war. He’s a synth reviewer! Not the most serious profession in the world. To compare that to attacks on free press is kind of ridiculous, but I guess anything goes when there is a chance to bash Behringer…

2 Likes

I’m conflicted on this whole thing.

Not on the cloning. This happens all over the place, and people are ok with it in some contexts (like Buchla 200 clones) but then not when it’s something nearly identical. I tend to go with a (very) rough understanding of patent and copyright law. If it’s no longer protected, (or a new and widely available product) it’s fair game. Also don’t be a dick about it. (Like Serge Tcherepnin prefers people to license his designs, and people tend to respect that, even though they don’t have to. So cool.) So really, I’m fine with “B” cloning old synths.

The Arturia thing, I’m not ok with because that’s just blatant dickery.

I’m also not ok with Uli’s attitude, negative tomfoolery, etc. I agree with the two commandments above :smiley:

What REALLY bothers me though is that there are some good people, and great minds working on these clone projects for “B”. The Midas guys. (DeepMind), The AMSynths guy (2600) etc. Cool people that just happen to work on projects for “B”. Perhaps “B” doesn’t deserve these people working for them. I don’t know.

I guess it comes down to this for me. I like the RD-8 and TD-3. I’ll continue to happily use them. I want the B2600. It’s a pretty amazing piece of gear. But, I won’t support Behringer by buying every new piece of gear they put out. I’ll keep my interaction to a minimum.

I guess Benn’s original video probably suits my position best.

I also happily support smaller, boutique, and innovative companies more. I don’t mind paying more for a Sequential or Hydra or something. At the same time, the B2600 is just a really nice version of a 2600, affordable, and I probably wouldn’t fork out for a Korg version because I don’t want a 2600 THAT badly. So the “B” version just suits the situation for me.

7 Likes

I think @AdamJay’s comparison is totally valid, as both B and the leaders AdamJay was referring to are using the exact same tactics in trying to bully journalists and anyone whose opinion they don’t like into shutting the f up.

Like @Fin25 pointed out earlier, imagine being in Peter Kirn’s shoes and having to take an enormous amount of shit for expressing your opinion in, yes, a synth review.

7 Likes