The Elektron Feedback Loop: January 2021

I guess they are researching how much of a hindrance their own devices would be at the release of a new machine and how should they price it to stay competitive against second hand Digitakt, Cycles and competitors’ rhythm machines.

1 Like

Not a very in depth feedback loop imo.
I rarely take time to survey’s but was willing to give my precious time to Elektron. Ending up with silly questions that didn’t leave room for decent feedback. It was indeed more of a loop. The outcome is 100% of the feedback is coming from people that took a earlier survey. They all do something with music and if they don’t have akai, roland, behringer or teenage engineering gear besides Elektron we don’t have a clue what they do like. I hope i get that one Digitone though.

1 Like

That’s quite valuable though. Because you are tracking a cohort over time. So you can see how their sentiment(s) are changing. Much less variance/randomness than if you took a fresh sample, even though the cohort will likely be a subset of the first group (as not everyone who receives the email will take the survey).

3 Likes

When I answered maybe to getting an OT in the future, I got an extra question about what attracts me to it. For the others, where I put no, I got nothing. So, yeah, it was tailored to answers.

1 Like

Was one of the answers “because OT owners always seem to be happy”?

9 Likes

I didn’t even get asked that question. Maybe because I said I’m happy with the gear I have, so they didn’t bother asking about future purchases.

Clearly it should have responded “yeah right, we both know that’s not true. Pick another answer, you GASsy bastard”.

5 Likes

I got it. Seems they maybe want to capture where the gaps are in their lineup. For me the only equipment they listed I would consider purchasing was the Polyend Tracker, and this is mainly appealing for its sort of endless track length.

I think the Elektron sequencer could learn from this. The Analog boxes have pattern change ‘modes’ for this, sequential is quite cool I think. I think a lot of model and Digi owners could simply be appeased by adding a ‘sequential’ setting in the settings that is configurable per bank.

At least this way users could have a free running bank that moved through its patterns automatically if they chose. All that said having it as a quick shortcut on the main interface would be a better option.

I have an AR but neither Digi. I’m pretty sure Sequential mode works the same as the Digi sequencer: patterns play in a loop until you choose which one plays next.

Oh, I mean. It plays however long u specify in the pattern settings and then automatically switches to the next pattern.

When you look at trackers just infinitely going down a list, you start to wonder why we need to live in a 64 step cycle (ofc there’s many hacks, workarounds etc)

This is not my experience after 6 months of use, unless you’re assuming the user is picking a pattern for the AR to automatically change to and not writing that part.

The way you’re writing it makes it sound to me like you think it plays some number of loops of a pattern and then switches to the next in the bank. It doesn’t do that.

The manual implies it does work like that. I can only assumed that because all the other modes imply human intervention to change pattern, the author assume the reader would infer that “sequential” does too.

Just FYI. Polyend Tracker is limited to 128 steps per pattern, so twice as long as Elektrons, but still relies on switching patterns to go beyond this. Maybe software trackers are ‘infinite’ (never used ‘em) but then so is a DAW. It would be nice to have more steps on Elektrons though, agreed.

It’s been a while since I had the AR, but that was my experience of how it worked. However, I could be wrong and thinking of Song Mode or something.

Thanks @craig, good to know. I just assumed they were really long from videos I’d watched I guess. 128 is an improvement for sure.

2 Likes