The Guitar Thread

Oh and only recently have I discovered how awesome synths sound through a lot of pedals and a wall of amps. Synergy!

2 Likes

Damn! That like a dream for me, but living in Tokyo thereā€™s no way I could make that happen. Very cool.

PS, Iā€™ve never run a synth through a guitar amp. No danger of damaging the amp?

Conventional wisdom says that sustained bass tones could damage a guitar amp speaker when used at high volume.

That said, I did see a band once, which ran all their synths into a Marshall stack (2 4x12 cabs) for the entire set, and they were quite loud. Also have seen some bands using a Roland JC-120 for synth amplification at gig volumes without issue.

That said, I wouldnā€™t trust normal amps like a Deluxe Reverb, Vox AC-30, etc. to hold up at those volumes, and the bass output is better from bass amps and full range speakers.

Apparently Melanie Faye was involved in the development of the new Dā€™Angelico Excel Mini DC. Love that vintage natural finish. Both my Dā€™Angelicos have the classic stairstep/trapeze tailpiece, which I think contributes to the ā€œacousticā€ nature of both guitars. But if I ever have a hankering for a stop tail Dā€™Angelico - stop tail supposedly has better tuning stability for bending, sustain and punch, but less ā€œairā€ - the Mini DC may have shot to the top of my want list.

I dig her little Bach quote at the end - Bouree in E minor I think.

Yeah, what GovernorSilver said. Long ago I melted a voice coil in a cheap speaker with a guitar and an octave pedal, but the amps themselves shouldnā€™t be hurt by synths. Having said that, you do run the risk of frying the output transformer in a tube amp if the speakers blowing results in an open circuit (aka no load on the OT - a short is bad too for a tube amp, but open is worse).

1 Like

Playing guitar for about 30 years, but always considered viewed myself more of a soundmaker than a guitarist per se. Thus always been interested in making the sounds that my imagination sparks and hence always been experimenting (abusing) a lot with effects. Teenager during the nineties and been listening to music of almost all genres (except jazz or metal, havenĀ“t really found any artists/bands that havenĀ“t ended up being very tiresome listening).

Have too many gear to list them all, but a list of those that have made a deep impact in my appreciation of the possibilities (and that I still own):

Fractal Audio Axe Fx 2 mk1
Fractal Audio Ultra
Octatrack mk1
Echoplex Pro Plus
Nord Modular G2 Engine (expanded)

Honorable mentions (that I also have):
Machinedrum mk2
Monomachine mk2
Axon AX100 mk2

And lots of more older rack effects.
Now if I just had some 1000 years to explore them all fully togetherā€¦

1 Like

So again back to this theme.

Davidlap has a whole series of videos doing experimental things with guitars. (Like playing the bass with his feet.) Using compressed air as an string exciter ā€“ thatā€™s pretty creative.

The bell sound is good too. Sample doing some of this stuff.

His city sounds are fun too.

Using a compressed air tank and better hose would help a lot with this.

2 Likes

New Tom Morello Soul Power Strat model. Price is decent for a signature model. This might actually be the cheapest production Fender model to come with a compound radius neck.

The ā€œSoul Powerā€ bit is actually a decal that has to be applied by the owner.

https://shop.fender.com/en-US/electric-guitars/stratocaster/tom-morello-stratocaster/0140350706.html

In this shorter video, Tom mentions a couple of charity programs which are related in some way to this model

1 Like

This thread has inspired me to bust out my Gibson SG after it has been in hibernation for a couple of years! I have no pedals or amps anymore so Iā€™ll need to set up a small rig to be able to sample into my Rytm mk2. (I could go the laptop route but Iā€™d rather not). The strymon iridium looks cool as a sweet little amp modeller. An FX pedal or 2 will be needed to create some interesting sounds - what are people using as their reverb and delay pedals? Also, what are some of the more interesting pedals out there?

2 Likes

SG Love, my one and only electric!

5 Likes

4 Likes

Sheā€™s a peach!

My SGJr is so light and love the satin finish. Donā€™t really play to much electric but I canā€™t seem to part with it.

Saturday afternoon fun on my Dā€™Angelico Deluxe SS. Maybe not so fun for listeners. :rofl:

Badly played slow blues:

I donā€™t really know the jazz standard ā€œBye Bye Blackbirdā€. Hereā€™s proof

1 Like

Empress Zoia, Industrialelectric RM-1N, and Chase Bliss MOOD for most of my reverb and delay these days. I still have the H9 on standby for its massive Black Hole reverbs and stuff but Iā€™ve been focusing more on the aforementioned pedals to get to know them well. They also fit into the ā€œinterestingā€ category.

I also use the spring reverb onboard my QES Retrofier Roadtripper MCM amp. Itā€™s the my favorite out of all the real spring reverbs Iā€™ve had.

I have a Strymon El Capistan and Flint for delays and reverb. Dunno the kind of interesting sounds youā€™re after but Count to 5 is pretty cool, especially when pairred with an EHX 8 Step Program I think.

I think my sg might be the same, but I modded it quite a bit
I canā€™t find a good pic, might take one tomorrow

2 Likes

Tom Morello Rig Rundown. Surprising that just about all the pedals on that board of his are old and beat-up looking. Not a boutique pedal in sight. Interesting order of pedals too, the two delay pedals are in the middle rather than at the end. Has a lot to do with how he uses the kill switch I think.

1 Like

It was a great idea to start this guitar thread. I think that Iā€™ll take a chance and ask one question. Does someone have a chorus pedal? Iā€™ve never thought that itā€™s something important and makes the sound better, but when I started listening to different records, I noticed that the chorus pedal makes the sound much better. Iā€™m thinking about buying CE-2W Waza Craft because on this url here, I found a detailed review of the best chorus pedals in 2020, and it seems to me that the CE-2W Waza Craft is the best option. Itā€™ll make the sound higher and more depth. What do you think about such a pedal, or maybe you can advise me another one you know is good and quality? Thanks in advance.

1 Like

I hated chorus for so long. Then I got a EH Ring Thing and started occasionally using it for chorus, especially when recording and kinda warmed up to the sound. Then I got a JC-120 and now Iā€™m in deep. Beginning to think itā€™s a pretty addictive sound, and that maybe that explains the 80ā€™s.

I think CE-2s (and their many clones) sound great and classic, but personally Iā€™ve been lusting over a DC-2W. I love knobs, but every demo Iā€™ve heard of that one has impressed me.