The Guitar Thread

Can you hear the string buzz through your amp or just when it’s unplugged? It doesn’t always telegraph through. I have a few guitars that buzz a fair amount acoustically but are buzz free amped up.
Also maybe a different string tension could help. It will probably require changing gauges which could require some setup adjustments if you change drastically. Just a thought.
A tech should be able to sort you out pretty easily.

2 Likes

Good call. Definitely been considering going up a gauge. Yes, I can hear it buzz amped up, though just when playing clean. Don’t hear it under high gain.

Truss rod adjustment?

Maybe the frets are uneven.

If not, be sure you are fretting the notes close to the fret, not in the middle between 2 frets.

Upgraded the pickups to Seymour Duncan Hot Rodded humbucker set. Sounds amazing!!

Next is upgrading to better tuners and getting rid of that booger green color.

4 Likes

I kinda like the “booger green” but I agree that those stock tuners leave a lot to be desired. What pickups were in there before?

1 Like

Stock pickups were 61 Gibson Zebras, not bad at all. I had a friend talk me into trading the Zebras for his stock Les Paul pickups. Lead and RYTH pro. Not sure of the actual name. They sounded great in his LP but I was never 100% happy with them in the SG.

1 Like

Makes me want to listen to Propagandhi just looking at it. Wicked.

3 Likes

Never heard of them before, that song is awesome. Going to dig deeper. Thanks!

1 Like

It’s a 2014 SG Jr, I bought it new then and it was a screaming deal. Happen to be the 120th anniversary, and all the models that year got the 12th fret stamp. It is so light and the neck is crazy good. I’m not even an SG fan, love strats, but once I picked this one up I was sold. I traded my MIM strat and a Fender deluxe amp for it at the local shop. No regrets, though I miss that amp!

This guitar is me, nothing fancy. No fancy finish or pickguard. If you scroll in a bit you’ll see wear all over it and I dig it. It’s my only electric and I can’t seem to part with it.

1 Like

They’ve always been one of my fav punk bands, they just rock the fuck out.

Fav tune - don’t think I’d ever get bored playing along to this.

2 Likes

I had the 2014 SG with the robot tuners. Oops. Beautiful guitar but the ballache of those tuners lingers in the memory. It did get me using alternate tunings though which is pretty much all I play these days. Derek trucks is the gold standard SG player for me.

2 Likes

Those robo tuners were awful. I never had them but knew a few that fought with them often.

2 Likes

My Les paul had those, fuck me. What a complete pile of steaming turd that was. Thank god Gibson got a new owner.

The tuners were fine in your house but see at a live gig venue when the temperature was all over the place they wouldn’t work.

First time I get burned, not long had it, I played one gig outside, no back up guitar, sound checked, tuners working fine. Then get on to play infront of like 200folk, venue now much warmer, way out of tune, go to tune and they all shat themselves, e string just fully unwound, others went tight as fuck, rest all miles away from in tune. But nooo you can’t manual tune (even when it claimed you could) cos the gearing system you have to wind away ten time more than normal… then the gear jammed. Closest I’ve come to smashing up my guitar on stage…

3 Likes

Lovely! My nicest/best playing guitar is also a simple one from the Gibson lineup. Gibson Les Paul Tribute 2017 in Honeyburst, love it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yikes, that’s terrifying!

1 Like

Nothing like grovelling to the support bands live on stage asking to borrow a guitar, needless to say we played shit… probably the only time i ever went without a back up guitar as I was moving city and my other were packed away…

Someone even thought, oh lets take a photo of that as it was happening to me…so I can remember my nightmare forever more……

I’ve still got the guitar though, tuners changed out and it’s my punk rock weapon these days…glad I didn’t smash it up…

2 Likes

Well, from advice on new strings to a new guitar. It was inevitable I guess. Very happy with this Gretsch so far. It sounds nice unplugged so it can live in the living room and me and my daughter can just have a strum when we feel like it. But it sounds amazing through my daughters amp, from clean tones to full Marshall stack emulation.

It should last me a few years.

It’s amazing how much you can get for such a low price with guitars compared to synths.

10 Likes

Gorgeous!

Word of caution: wood stoves are guitar’s enemy. Due to how dry they make the surrounding area, it can damage it. I’d move it to a cooler room with higher humidity if At possible when you have a fire.

2 Likes

Good to know thanks. It’s usually at the other end of the room but yeah, I don’t want to warp it as it’s a keeper!

1 Like